Passport & IEC Canada

Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:00 am
Just Joined

ryanm353 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Passport & IEC Canada

Hi there,

Im very new to this IEC stuff, but ive applied and im in the pool now waiting to get word back (hopefully!)

Anyway when I signed up for IEC i used my passport number. The passport I used is a British one as I live in Northern Ireland. The expiry date is March 2019.

As i understand i wont be able to have a work visa for 2 years as i can only stay till as long my passport is valid (march 2019) so should i renew my passport now? or wait till i get an invitation & work permit and then when i go to the officers over at canada they can update my work permit with my new passport? what should i do? please help! thanks!
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Passport & IEC Canada

You have options, depending when you renew your passport in relation to if/when you're drawn from the pool & apply: What do I do if I get a new passport after I apply for International Experience Canada?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:45 am
Just Joined

So would it be okay if i accepted the invitation and had everything sorted, then for example 2 months before going to canada renew my uk passport, get it with the old passport and then go to Canada and explain to the custom officers that my passport was renewed and that my work permit needs updated to the 2 years? Does this sound okay?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

That is both very common, and following the instructions in the link above. Except that you won't explain to the customs officer that your work permit needs to be updated to 2 years - it won't have been issued yet, and will always be issued for whichever is shortest of insurance validity or passport validity or 2 years. You just tell the immigration officer you've renewed your passport, and hand over the new one for it to be issued under, and the old one as proof you're the person who applied.
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:54 am
Just Joined

Will the customs officer not give me a work permit then for 2 years when i explain about the passport and see's my POE letter etc?
Old Jan 7th 2018, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

If you haven't renewed your passport, and you arrive with one which is valid until March 2019, you will be issued a work permit that expires in March 2019. If you later renew your passport, you would be able to extend it at that point, which takes some time as it has to be done online/by mail.

If you have renewed your passport, just follow the instructions above, and you'll be issued a permit for whichever is shortest of insurance validity or passport validity or 2 years.