Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream - the facts

Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream - the facts

Old Mar 24th 2008, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream - the facts

We have receiving a lot of questions about the Community Identified stream so here are some facts as we know them. We came via this stream and found it quick and easy with no need for a consultant.
    Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:41 pm
    Just Joined

mattnaish is an unknown quantity at this point
    Default Re: Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream - the facts

Hi - we have just found this great forum and your post is of great interest. Wondered if you could spare a few moments to comment on our situation. We have been exhaustively researching everywhere on the net and also been to a emmigration show. We are very keen to move over to NS and settle there asap. We both have degrees and are also qualified teachers, but our work areas do not really fit in with any 'skills shortages'. I am waiting for a second chat with a potential employer in Halifax, but was interested in whether we should investigate the identified stream option.
    We would ideally like to start our own business at some point as we work for ourselves here in the uk, but would be happy to work for a while to get established and settled etc. We would be looking to sell up here and come over with about £400,000 CAD so could support ourselves for a sensible length of time. We are about to plan a trip over for the summer and would also like to make good use of this time to make contacts and explore the area etc so any recommendations would be great. Who should we speak to regarding the RDA contacts and exploring the chances of getting nominated for this scheme. Sorry to go on, but you seem the ideal person for some initial advice. Kind regards, Matt and Nicola
    Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:41 am
    BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

Hi,

Sent you a private message as it has email addresses. If you cannot open it let me know,
    Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:17 am
    Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Hi

Regarding the CI route into NS, we are presently applying to enter NS via the RDA Office in Halifax. We have been advised that we need 5-10 letters of support from the community, which is OK as we have lived here previously but it could prove difficult for others who don't have the contacts. If you only need 3 letters for the other RDA Offices then it might be wise to build up contacts in these areas.

Liffy
    Old Apr 1st 2008, 6:41 pm
    BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Hi - I'm unable to PM you due to lack of posts, could you please pm me so I can reply. I'm very interested in this option and would love to know more...

Thanks in advance
    Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:23 am
    BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LiffyB
    Hi

Regarding the CI route into NS, we are presently applying to enter NS via the RDA Office in Halifax. We have been advised that we need 5-10 letters of support from the community, which is OK as we have lived here previously but it could prove difficult for others who don't have the contacts. If you only need 3 letters for the other RDA Offices then it might be wise to build up contacts in these areas.

Liffy
    I thought that Halifax would be different. I believe it is primarily designed for the smaller communties to support the people they need and those that would like to stay and settle there.
    Halifax and outskirts can easily attract the people it needs.
    It would be extremly difficult to get that amount of letters together without being here a while.

Last edited by Ontheboatout; Apr 2nd 2008 at 2:27 am.
    Old Apr 2nd 2008, 2:18 pm
    BE Enthusiast

rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of

I went through this scheme too, and would like to add:

- Some RDA's do not require the letters as stated by the OP - we went through Kings County RDA, and did not have any letters from within Canada. We had eight letters from our area in the UK, and this got us an interview with the lady there and a business development manager. I think my interview with him and the detailed business plan I produced went a long way to getting their support.

I think each RDA has a wide remit of operation, and it very much depends on the individual RDA as to what they will/won't accept. You need to decide on your area and find out what the specific RDA requires, or you may get it wrong!

Good luck,
    Rachel
    Old Apr 2nd 2008, 8:38 pm
    BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by rach_woz99
    I went through this scheme too, and would like to add:

- Some RDA's do not require the letters as stated by the OP - we went through Kings County RDA, and did not have any letters from within Canada. We had eight letters from our area in the UK, and this got us an interview with the lady there and a business development manager. I think my interview with him and the detailed business plan I produced went a long way to getting their support.

I think each RDA has a wide remit of operation, and it very much depends on the individual RDA as to what they will/won't accept. You need to decide on your area and find out what the specific RDA requires, or you may get it wrong!

Good luck,
    Rachel
    I have heard this before and would also recommend contacting the relevant RDA. They are all trying to attract the people they need in their community. Just some are more visibly active than others.
    Old Apr 3rd 2008, 8:32 am
    BE Enthusiast

stokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nicestokesey is just really nice

Apologies, still unable to read PM's due to lack of posts....

So is this option only available if you want to start a business in NS, if so is there certain criteria to meet such as employing 'x' number of Canadians?

Thanks.
    Old Apr 3rd 2008, 12:44 pm
    BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

C I route does not require you to employ anyone or indeed to even to start a business (but it is a way that you could).

There are other routes but there are arguably more hoops to jump through and they cost more.
    Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:18 pm
    BE Enthusiast

I would imagine though that unless you were in one of the bigger towns/communities that the job opportunities aren't great?
    Old Apr 3rd 2008, 4:34 pm
    Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Stokesy

Sent you a pm - can you access them yet?

Liff
    Old Apr 3rd 2008, 6:19 pm
    BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stokesey
    I would imagine though that unless you were in one of the bigger towns/communities that the job opportunities aren't great?
    Depends. What kind of work are you after?
    Old Apr 3rd 2008, 9:48 pm
    BE Enthusiast

My OH is a product manager at a major credit card company and I work in IT (although my role isn't particularly technical!). To be honest though I would do anything (within reason) to earn a 'modest' wage, we should leave the UK with roughly $600k so shouldn't require a mortgage, it's all about quality of life and a decent future for the kids.

Regards.
    Old Apr 4th 2008, 12:04 pm
    BE Forum Addict

I understand that there is IT work in and around Halifax but I don't have any details. If you want to know more do a search for past info and/or start a new thread in the main Canada forum specifically about this so that people who have the info you need will see the question.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.