Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Not sure if I need a visa, and if so, which type

Not sure if I need a visa, and if so, which type

Old Dec 22nd 2017, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

ounpharm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Not sure if I need a visa, and if so, which type

Hi guys, I just created this account to ask this question, I've been struggling to find the info I need.

I am a university student in the UK and have been accepted to do my research project in a hospital in Ottawa. The research will take roughly 2-3 months and no more, and I will return to the UK after.

I just wanted to know if I need a work/study permit, and if so, would which one would I need. Does the research count at work, or studying since its part of my university degree.

Would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help, or if anyone can provide me with contact details of the canadian embassy or someone I can ask about this, as I also can't find that info.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sure if I need a visa, and if so, which type

You certainly need a visa to work &/or study in Canada . Check out the CIC website for in depth information.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
You certainly need a visa to work &/or study in Canada . Check out the CIC website for in depth information.
Well, no. Most Brits don't need visas (travel documents) at all to travel to Canada. Everyone would need a work permit to work, and people can study for under six months without a study permit. So it rather depends what this sort of thing counts as.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The OP didn't mention which passport(s) he or she holds.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The OP didn't mention which passport(s) he or she holds.
No they did not.

Therefore, on a site called "British Expats", and a statement they are "a university student in the UK", there is no reason to assume they must be from one of the countries that require a visa to travel.
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
No they did not.

Therefore, on a site called "British Expats", and a statement they are "a university student in the UK", there is no reason to assume they must be from one of the countries that require a visa to travel.
Yea sorry, I do hold a british passport
Old Dec 22nd 2017, 11:51 pm
Just Joined

Does anyone know who i can contact to find out what exactly I need?
I tried the Canada visa application centre, and they told me they weren't authorised to tell me.
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 2:50 am
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

Surely the OP's University should be able to advise. I'm certain they'e not the only student from the university ever to do research projects abroad.

The should be able to advise and earn the tuition fees
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 3:28 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by ounpharm
Hi guys, I just created this account to ask this question, I've been struggling to find the info I need.

I am a university student in the UK and have been accepted to do my research project in a hospital in Ottawa. The research will take roughly 2-3 months and no more, and I will return to the UK after.

I just wanted to know if I need a work/study permit, and if so, would which one would I need. Does the research count at work, or studying since its part of my university degree.

Would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help, or if anyone can provide me with contact details of the canadian embassy or someone I can ask about this, as I also can't find that info.

1. It is quite possible that you will not require a work/study permit. The following program update may be useful, IF you fall within it.

"
General revisions throughout the PDIs related to paragraph 186(p) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations (IRPR)

• The following instructions have been added:
    Paragraph 186(p) of the IRPR authorizes foreign nationals to work without a work permit if they are foreign students in a health field whose proposed work in Canada is for the primary purpose of acquiring training for a limited period of time. This includes work dealing directly with patients, such as work as part of a medical elective program of study or work in a support role in a health care environment (like as a clinical clerk at a medical teaching institution in Canada). Where necessary, these students must provide a form of written approval from the body in Canada that regulates that field to ensure that Canadian and permanent resident health care students are placed for clinical practice first.
  • The format of the section regarding specific requirements for medical students destined to specific provinces has been changed. For example, the previous instructions regarding medical students destined to Ontario were the following:
    • Is a letter from College of Physicians & Surgeons required?
      No. Does not wish to be involved
      The College of Physicians and Surgeons in Ontario has informed IRCC that it does not want to be involved in these cases, and it does not object to foreign health students working in medical teaching institutions in Ontario. This non-involvement can be interpreted as approval from the regulatory body, which will enable visa officers to process the application without written approval for each case."

Start your reading here: http://tinyurl.com/ybrvplvl
Old Dec 23rd 2017, 7:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
No they did not.

Given the number of foreign students at British universities I wouldn't want to make that assumption.