no longer citizen?

Old Jan 20th 2018, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no longer citizen?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The citizenship card she was issued as a child was correct as she was under 28 at the time. That she didn't apply to retain her citizenship before she turned 28 is the problem. After 28 it became null and void.
And after she became 28 passport canada issued her with a new passport? Thus she thought everything was ok? - I take it.

Then immigration and citizenship sent her the letter telling her that she was no longer a citizen.

And since she was never PR in Canada, she couldn't go back from citizenship status to PR status?
Old Jan 20th 2018, 2:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
And after she became 28 passport canada issued her with a new passport? Thus she thought everything was ok? - I take it.

Then immigration and citizenship sent her the letter telling her that she was no longer a citizen.

And since she was never PR in Canada, she couldn't go back from citizenship status to PR status?
The initial citizenship card was issued correctly. The later citizenship certificate and passport appear to have been issued incorrectly. I'm not an expert on Canadian immigration law but I suspect that she technically has no legal immigration status in Canada at the moment. Just a Paraguayan citizen without a passport.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 6:07 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I am still wondering why she can't/hasn't regularized her status through her husband (assuming he is a Canadian citizen)?
Old Jan 20th 2018, 6:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I am still wondering why she can't/hasn't regularized her status through her husband (assuming he is a Canadian citizen)?
She probably can but if she can wrangle citizenship out of the situation rather than going through spousal immigration then that would be preferable.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The later citizenship certificate and passport appear to have been issued incorrectly.
But if this is the case the relevant immigration and citizenship officer should bear the brunt of this problem, definitely not the lady in question.

What else should this unassuming lady have suspected? She was issued Canadian passports and Canadian citizenship cards more than once. She was certainly not on any kind of visa.

If I was a lawyer, hired by this lady, I would take on immigration and citizenship, rather than anybody else.
Old Jan 20th 2018, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeMango
But if this is the case the relevant immigration and citizenship officer should bear the brunt of this problem, definitely not the lady in question.

What else should this unassuming lady have suspected? She was issued Canadian passports and Canadian citizenship cards more than once. She was certainly not on any kind of visa.

If I was a lawyer, hired by this lady, I would take on immigration and citizenship, rather than anybody else.
The flipside of that is that she has been able to enjoy the rights of being a Canadian citizen for the last ten years even though she wasn't one; an administrative error doesn't give her the right to citizenship. However I suspect that the minister will exceptionally grant her citizenship in the end as that is what has happened with similar cases.