Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Newbie help required! UK to Toronto move

Newbie help required! UK to Toronto move

Old Dec 12th 2017, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newbie help required! UK to Toronto move

Originally Posted by Newguy1989
In this case, this would make the job LMIA exempt. Would I then be able to apply at Point of Entry?
Yes you can apply at PoE for the work permit as well as for a work permit for your common-law spouse (see below) and visitor record for your daughter.

Note it is up to the border agent to determine if you meet the requirement so be prepared with lots of paperwork. My company hired a legal firm to prepare the application to avoid any issues.

Regarding common-law spouse and young daughter, there would be no problems with them accompanying me off the back of my ICT?
No, no problems provided you can prove the common-law status i.e. have lived together for more than 12 continuous months in a marriage like relationship. I was married so it was easier to prove but you will need much more documentation. Again, your company would be advised to get legal advice to make a strong case.

If your job is skilled (NOC code 0, A or B), and it most likely will be to qualify for specialized knowledge, your spouse will also qualify for an open work permit.

- What was the length of your ICT TFWP?
Mine was issued for 3 years, which is what the company and the legal firm requested. However, the length is up to the border agent to decide. I transitioned to PR within 18 months so did not need the whole time.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Newguy1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

The company who have offered me the job have put the ownership on me to sort the visa, and have written so in my job contract. Which is making things very difficult for me, to the point where it seems like they do not want to get involved with that side of things.

I am at the point where I need to advise this company to get legal advice from their end, to best advise us on the next steps. Because if I do it on my own back and it goes wrong, we all look rather stupid. What do you think?

Yes my job would fall under one of the NOC codes, O. So that is good to know.

For me getting the evidence for all sides shouldn't be too much of an issue, but I want to make sure I am doing the right thing by both me and my family, and also the company out there.
Old Dec 12th 2017, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

The company who have offered me the job have put the ownership on me to sort the visa, and have written so in my job contract. Which is making things very difficult for me, to the point where it seems like they do not want to get involved with that side of things.

I am at the point where I need to advise this company to get legal advice from their end, to best advise us on the next steps. Because if I do it on my own back and it goes wrong, we all look rather stupid. What do you think?.
You actually cannot sort it yourself without the company they need to pay a compliance fee before you can even turn up at the PoE and you will defiantly need letters of support including the reason why they are bringing you over and why your specialized skills are needed. Without the support of the company an ICT is a non-starter.

In my opinion they do need to hire legal advice to ensure the application is strong. unlike in other streams (which are a little more clear-cut) the decision on whether to issue an ICT sits with the border agent and is highly subjective as to whether you do qualify. They are tricky applicants to get right ad you have to prove both highly specialized and advanced property knowledge.

Companies typically looking to do ICT offer relocation packages and support and you need to ensure they are meeting the wage floor requirements for the NOC code. i.e. you cannot pay you less than the median salary for your NCO code in the area you will be based.

If they will not support you, you will need to look at a nether route. As you are less than 30 years old you may qualify for IEC.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

Newguy1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Engineer_abroad

So some updates on this - My company have seeked advise from a legal firm who are now preparing all the documents I will need to apply at POE (I am flying over next week! Eeeekkk, I am nervous)

From memory, is there anything additional that you think I should take with me?
And what kind of questioning will I get by the immigration officer?

Cheers
Old Jan 4th 2018, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Engineer_abroad

So some updates on this - My company have seeked advise from a legal firm who are now preparing all the documents I will need to apply at POE (I am flying over next week! Eeeekkk, I am nervous)

From memory, is there anything additional that you think I should take with me?
And what kind of questioning will I get by the immigration officer?

Cheers
I actually got very little questioning from the border agent. They asked for all my paperwork, which had been prepared by legal firm, disappeared for 15 minutes, came back confirmed a few details with me then issued the permit.

I was nervous as well but it ended up being a complete anti-climax.

It would take only what the legal firm advises, if you take anything else keep it in bags and do not hand to officer unless they ask for something else.