British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   New Atlantic AIPP program?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/new-atlantic-aipp-program-904060/)

Loraine 1 Oct 2nd 2017 1:03 pm

New Atlantic AIPP program??

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone had managed to move over to the Maritime provinces with the new AIPP program?

Was over there for a visit and some job interviews recently and one of those jobs looks really promising. It's not a definite job offer, but it does look like the stumbling point will be the best option for immigration. I've given them all the info I have on the AIPP and they've contacted the local immigration office to 'get things rolling'.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you and the employer find the process? Any positives I can go back to the Company to ease their mind about taking me on?

Cheers x

feralbob Oct 3rd 2017 9:41 pm

Re: New Atlantic AIPP program??

Originally Posted by Loraine 1 (Post 12351666)
Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone had managed to move over to the Maritime provinces with the new AIPP program?

Was over there for a visit and some job interviews recently and one of those jobs looks really promising. It's not a definite job offer, but it does look like the stumbling point will be the best option for immigration. I've given them all the info I have on the AIPP and they've contacted the local immigration office to 'get things rolling'.

Has anyone else been in this situation? How did you and the employer find the process? Any positives I can go back to the Company to ease their mind about taking me on?

Cheers x

Haven't used it - but know a few firms looking to use it. Depending on your skillset the other option might be the Global Talent Stream if the employer is eligible.

What's your background and what type of work?

Loraine 1 Oct 4th 2017 2:36 pm

Thanks feralbob

It's turned into a job offer now and they going to do down the AIPP route to get me over.

Fingers crossed all runs smoothly

Howefamily Oct 4th 2017 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Loraine 1 (Post 12353530)
Thanks feralbob

It's turned into a job offer now and they going to do down the AIPP route to get me over.

Fingers crossed all runs smoothly

what? A job in the Maritimes? An actual job :eek:
This will surprise all those that believe its all beauty and beaches but no actual jobs.
Hoping it all goes smoothly with the AIPP route:fingerscrossed:

AdamPiercy Oct 9th 2017 6:29 pm

I am going through the same thing. After speaking to NS immigration they recommended it as the quickest option.

Company are currently going through the designation phase.

All very exciting, yet terrifying 👍

neilgvirgo Oct 10th 2017 11:20 am

Hi Loraine and Adam, I am also looking into AIPP, could I ask you both how long it took you to get job offers and did you have to do more than just apply/send resumes? Thanks

christmasoompa Oct 10th 2017 11:21 am

Originally Posted by neilgvirgo (Post 12357750)
Hi Loraine and Adam, I am also looking into AIPP, could I ask you both how long it took you to get job offers and did you have to do more than just apply/send resumes? Thanks

Top tip: you can see a forum members previous posts by clicking on their username and selecting from the dropdown menu.

You'll see that both of them have been out there in person for a recce/job hunt.

HTH.

Loraine 1 Oct 10th 2017 11:55 am

Originally Posted by AdamPiercy (Post 12357338)
I am going through the same thing. After speaking to NS immigration they recommended it as the quickest option.

Company are currently going through the designation phase.

All very exciting, yet terrifying 👍

Hi Adam,

I'm excited and terrified in equal measure!
Which province are you going to? I'm heading to NS. The Company have given me a start date of 8th Jan with a view to getting me over sooner if possible. They are in the process of getting Designated. How far through the process are you?

Loraine 1 Oct 10th 2017 11:56 am

Originally Posted by Howefamily (Post 12353545)
what? A job in the Maritimes? An actual job :eek:
This will surprise all those that believe its all beauty and beaches but no actual jobs.
Hoping it all goes smoothly with the AIPP route:fingerscrossed:

I know! And this wasn't even the only one I applied for - crackers!

Loraine 1 Oct 10th 2017 11:58 am

Originally Posted by neilgvirgo (Post 12357750)

Hi Neil,

All I can say is, get yourself over to Canada and apply in person. I'd applied for hundreds of jobs and though I was getting some good responses, no one really wanted to take it further. Get your feet on the ground and go knocking on doors, hopefully one of them will be the right door.
Good luck

AdamPiercy Oct 10th 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Lorraine,

Yes I am heading to NS as well. Beautiful place. I also have a start date for the beginning of Jan. In the process of selling our house and trying to plan. All a bit crazy when everything is up in the air, scary to think in less than three months we will be living in a new country. It takes longer to plan to go on holiday!

What will you be doing?

Hi Neil,

If I'm honest I was incredibly lucky! I decided to visit NS on a whim, my wife gave me permission to go on my own and make connections. Before I left I sent a few emails and arranged to meet some people on these boards. Lovely people at that!

I also dropped a few emails to some companies whom I thought my skills would fit. I offered to buy them lunch to pick their brains about the job market in our field.

My first "meeting" was breakfast on the morning I landed, I literally landed at 2am and had a meeting at 9am. The meeting went like a dream and I was practically offered the job there and then.

I have spent the last few months going through the hoops with the government so the company can prove no one else can do the job already in Canada.

That's where I am. Th Nova Scotian Immigration service have been very helpful and I was invited to a one on one meeting with them in London where they answered many questions. Helps get your face known, so get your name down for the next one. they can help put you in touch with companies looking for your skill set.

Good luck!

neilgvirgo Oct 10th 2017 4:57 pm

Thanks both, that's very helpful and good luck to you too, exciting times for you all!

Loraine 1 Oct 11th 2017 11:15 am

Originally Posted by AdamPiercy (Post 12357993)
Hi Lorraine,

Yes I am heading to NS as well. Beautiful place. I also have a start date for the beginning of Jan. In the process of selling our house and trying to plan. All a bit crazy when everything is up in the air, scary to think in less than three months we will be living in a new country. It takes longer to plan to go on holiday!

What will you be doing?

Hi Adam,

Sounds a lot like our situation. I went over with hubby, planned some meet and greets before we went which didn't come to anything. Then stumbled across a vacancy while I was there, sent them and email and got an interview. They then offered me the job and are going through the process to get me over. I'm in accounts. They are in the designation stage, what about you?

I've got my airbnb booked for the first couple of months, but not sure what to do after that. We should meet up when we land?

AdamPiercy Oct 11th 2017 11:33 am

Congratulations.

I was going to ask what you were doing about moving. You are airbnb-ing for a few months? Why not rent? We are looking at our options now. Ideally we would like to buy quickly but not sure it is possible. We may get an air bnb for the first week and try find somewhere to rent.

Yes we should meet up, would be good to share stories. I'll PM you.

Loraine 1 Jan 26th 2018 8:14 pm

OMG I can't believe I'm still waiting for my provincial letter of support! I was in NS last week (had to come back :thumbdown:) and so went into the immigration office. I was told the process is 4-6 weeks and I'm at week 7. Yesterday they contacted my employer and asked for some more documentation, so I've no idea how long it'll take from now.

I was told by ISANS that I can get a work permit at the boarded when I land, but since found out this isn't the case. I've also been told that I could possibly get it if I fly via Toronto as they are not part of the AIPP process.

I'm concerned that my employers were told 4-8 weeks by immigration, we're now at nearly 4 months and it could be another 2 months. What's the chances my employer will get sick of waiting and the job offer 'disappears'?

Anyone had a similar experience with AIPP? Can I sideswipe the work permit wait if I land outside of the Atlantic provinces?