Need your help!

Old Feb 5th 2001, 4:18 pm
robinsontony

Hi,

I am a landed immigrant. As I wish to complete my PhD study outside canada (it will be
finished in 26 months), I left canada after a couple of weeks. During the time when I was
in Canada, I applied for the return resident permit since I don't want to abandon Canada
as my permanent residence place. Unfortunately my application is refused. The reason
written on the letter is that I have not established my residency in canada!

Now I want to apply again to the Canadian embassy. I have the following questions with
regard to the application:

1). On the application form (IMM1227), one of the items is not very clear to me: " -16-.
Have you ever previously applied for and/or obtained, a returning resident permit?", "If
'yes' show where and when". I don't know how to answer! In my case, yes is true for
previous applying, but not true for obtaining RRP.

2). What kind of proof is critical for establishment of my residency? I got SIN, bank
accounts and canadian credit card. Are these enough? With regard to the bank account, do
I have to show how much money I deposit in my canadian bank? or just show the proof of
opening account?

3). I have had the letter from the university saying that I am pursuing my PhD degree in
the next 26 months. I know the RRP is usually for 12 months. How can I deal with this
situation? since on the application form I am asked to fill in the date of return to
Canada, it should be consistent with the date indicated in the school letter,
shouldn't it?

4). What is the best time for me to submit my application within 183 days?

Thanks so much for your attention. Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

[email protected]

Old Feb 5th 2001, 10:49 pm
Jim Humphries

The line on your situation is that you were never in Canada long enough to establish
residence there so you cannot qualify for a RRP. I don't think htere is any way aroun that
sort of thinking and you are certainly not the only victim of it. Your choice if you wish
to retain your residence is to return to Canada giving up your PhD studies. Not a pleasant
situation! Probably you would be best to stay where you are and re-apply closer to the
finish of your PhD program. Good Luck. Jim Humphries, former visa officer

[email protected] wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am a landed immigrant. As I wish to complete my PhD study outside canada (it will be
> finished in 26 months), I left canada after a couple of weeks. During the time when I
> was in Canada, I applied for the return resident permit since I don't want to abandon
> Canada as my permanent residence place. Unfortunately my application is refused. The
> reason written on the letter is that I have not established my residency in canada!
>
> Now I want to apply again to the Canadian embassy. I have the following questions with
> regard to the application:
>
> 1). On the application form (IMM1227), one of the items is not very clear to me: " -16-.
> Have you ever previously applied for and/or obtained, a returning resident permit?",
> "If 'yes' show where and when". I don't know how to answer! In my case, yes is true
> for previous applying, but not true for obtaining RRP.
>
> 2). What kind of proof is critical for establishment of my residency? I got SIN, bank
> accounts and canadian credit card. Are these enough? With regard to the bank account,
> do I have to show how much money I deposit in my canadian bank? or just show the proof
> of opening account?
>
> 3). I have had the letter from the university saying that I am pursuing my PhD degree in
> the next 26 months. I know the RRP is usually for 12 months. How can I deal with this
> situation? since on the application form I am asked to fill in the date of return to
> Canada, it should be consistent with the date indicated in the school letter,
> shouldn't it?
>
> 4). What is the best time for me to submit my application within 183 days?
>
> Thanks so much for your attention. Your comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.
>
> [email protected]

Old Feb 7th 2001, 8:15 am
robinsontony

Thanks for your comments, from which it seems to me that it is impossible to get a RRP, no
matter what purpose I have. It also looks unlikely that I have 26 months to spend outside
Canada after I got the landing paper, if I intend to live in Canada as a permanent place.
There is a long story for it. In short, my application was submitted early in 1997 in
Europe. I got the landing paper early in 2000. During the waiting time, I had no idea how
long it would take. I wouldn't like to waste my time. Therefore I, after finishing my
working contract, decided to pursue a PhD study in Electrical Engineering in 1999, which
is a good way for me to get a better job in Canada.

Before I took the PhD study, I was also awared that the purpose of educational/vocational
training is one of the legal bases for getting the RRP. (pls see the government offficial
website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomer/return_e.html). With regard to establishing
my residency, because I have to return back to complete my study, I cannot rent apartment
for not living there.

That's why I don't understand the decision made for me! Anyway from the lawful point of
view, how can I get RRP? what if I am refused? Does that mean I lose my PR status if my
second application will not be approved and I wana finish my study? What would happen to
me if I come back to Canada after 26 months without RRP?

Thanks so much for your help!

R.D.

In article <[email protected]>,

> The line on your situation is that you were never in Canada long
enough
> to establish residence there so you cannot qualify for a RRP. I don't think htere is any
> way aroun that sort of thinking and you are
certainly
> not the only victim of it. Your choice if you wish to retain your residence is to return
> to Canada giving up your PhD studies. Not a pleasant situation! Probably you would be
> best to stay where you are and re-apply closer to the finish of your PhD program. Good
> Luck. Jim Humphries, former visa officer
>
> [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am a landed immigrant. As I wish to complete my PhD study outside canada (it will be
> > finished in 26 months), I left canada after a
couple
> > of weeks. During the time when I was in Canada, I applied for the return resident
> > permit since I don't want to abandon Canada as my permanent residence place.
> > Unfortunately my application is refused.
The
> > reason written on the letter is that I have not established my residency in canada!
> >
> > Now I want to apply again to the Canadian embassy. I have the
following
> > questions with regard to the application:
> >
> > 1). On the application form (IMM1227), one of the items is not very clear to me: "
> > -16-. Have you ever previously applied for and/or obtained, a returning resident
> > permit?", "If 'yes' show where and when". I don't know how to answer! In my case,
> > yes is true for
previous
> > applying, but not true for obtaining RRP.
> >
> > 2). What kind of proof is critical for establishment of my
residency? I
> > got SIN, bank accounts and canadian credit card. Are these enough?
With
> > regard to the bank account, do I have to show how much money I
deposit
> > in my canadian bank? or just show the proof of opening account?
> >
> > 3). I have had the letter from the university saying that I am
pursuing
> > my PhD degree in the next 26 months. I know the RRP is usually for
> > months. How can I deal with this situation? since on the application form I am asked
> > to fill in the date of return to Canada, it should
be
> > consistent with the date indicated in the school letter, shouldn't
it?
> >
> > 4). What is the best time for me to submit my application within 183 days?
> >
> > Thanks so much for your attention. Your comments and suggestions are highly
> > appreciated.
> >
> > [email protected]
>