Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Need advice on a job offer please.UK citizen.

Need advice on a job offer please.UK citizen.

Old Apr 9th 2018, 12:58 am
Just Joined

SSwazers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice on a job offer please.UK citizen.

Hi all, please forgive me if I'm asking anything stupid but this is completely new to me. I am a British citizen currently residing in the UK, I will shortly be offered a position with a tech company based in Vancouver.
The position will be for approx a year(maybe a little longer) so I was wondering what the best and most efficient way of gaining a work permit and which one will be the best option?
I am a 45-year-old male.

Last edited by SSwazers; Apr 9th 2018 at 1:19 am.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 2:30 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on a job offer please.UK citizen.

Originally Posted by SSwazers
Hi all, please forgive me if I'm asking anything stupid but this is completely new to me. I am a British citizen currently residing in the UK, I will shortly be offered a position with a tech company based in Vancouver.
The position will be for approx a year(maybe a little longer) so I was wondering what the best and most efficient way of gaining a work permit and which one will be the best option?
I am a 45-year-old male.
Is your job LMIA exempt?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ia-exempt.html

If not, the employer must try to hire a Canadian first, prove they have tried and been unsuccessful. Apply for LMIA, pay the $1000 fee and wait and see if ESDC approve the LMIA application.

Some organisations can have pre-approved LMIA in some circumstances. If they have one problem solved.

Once the LMIA is approved, you can roll up to immigration, paperwork in hand and get the WP.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...ion#Employment
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice on a job offer please.UK citizen.

Yep, as Aviator has said, you need the LMIA first before you can apply for a work permit. Once the company has applied for the LMIA and hopefully been successful (usually takes around 3-4 months as a rough guide), then assuming you are a UK citizen, you could just get your work permit at the airport when you arrive. There is only one kind of work permit you can get, unless the company is prepared to help you with a PNP app, but if the position is only for a year or two, that wouldn't really be suitable.

Full details of getting your TWP at the POE in the Wiki - TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

HTH, and good luck.