Are my future chances ruined ?

Old Aug 29th 2016, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

mooneymo68 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are my future chances ruined ?

Hi

I am a newbie

I was working as a Plumber & Gas Fitter for a company in Calgary last year. I had been successfully assessed by AIT in both PLumbing and Gas Fitter B. 3 months after being employed with this company they said my work wasn't good enough and said that they didn't want to employ me anymore! The company promised me on the job training which i didn't get and I was basically thrown into the deep end. When I picked up my final pay check there was a and attached letter from Service Canada and my employer had made a comment saying " lack of skill set "

I decided to return to the UK but I really want to apply again for Plumbing work in BC, will this previous job and comments ruin my future job opportunities finding work with another company in Canada?

Should I apply for my credentials to be assessed in BC ?

Or should I just give up ?

Thanks
Old Aug 30th 2016, 6:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are my future chances ruined ?

Credentials don't get assessed. You have to prove 9000 hours experience and sit the exam to be qualified. Look up ITABC and Red Seal. its all in there. If you qualified under Red Seal in AB, your plumbing qualifications would be valid in BC, except for gas fitter, where you would need Safety BC certification.

I doubt there was a letter from Service Canada, more likely your record of employment (ROE), filled out by the employer. Lack of Skill Set was probably the reason for termination. As there is no code for that, I suspect a code K Other, with that written in as the reason.

A ROE is between you, the govt and the employer. Other employers won't see it. However when asked reaosn for leaving or the other employer is asked for a reference, may be another issue.

If you were laid off under 3 months, no notice or severence required. After 3 months 1 week or a weeks pay in lieu of notice.

Last edited by Aviator; Aug 30th 2016 at 6:11 am.