Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My cousin wants to hire me in his business...what is the procedure?

My cousin wants to hire me in his business...what is the procedure?

Old Dec 10th 2017, 10:37 am
Just Joined

jpanchal30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My cousin wants to hire me in his business...what is the procedure?

Hi all,

I have recently applied for the IEC and I am just keeping my fingers crossed that I get an ITA in this years pool.

However, I have been speaking to my cousin who is a citizen in Canada and he owns a healthcare centre. He was asking me if I would like to work for him as he is currently in the process of looking for candidates to fill the vacancies he has. It would be a simple job such as admin, PA etc.

I was wandering if this allowed and if so what would the procedure would be. I understand that he would need to be LMIA approved. How much are the fees?

Say if all goes well then what do I need to do on my end to get the process going?

Kind regards and thanks in advance.
Jasmin
Old Dec 10th 2017, 10:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My cousin wants to hire me in his business...what is the procedure?

In a nutshell your cousin would have to prove there are no eligible Canadian citizens or PR's of Canada qualified or willing to do this job after being advertised correctly.
The chances of a LMIA for this type of job being issued is nil to minimal.

Now once if accepted to the IEC and have a work permit issued then this is no longer an issue as you can work and he could hire you.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...r-program.html
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Oh so you think he won't be issued with a LMIA. Can I ask why?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jpanchal30
Oh so you think he won't be issued with a LMIA. Can I ask why?
Looking at it logically can you or your cousin honestly believe there would be no qualified Canadians or PR's applying for the job when advertised?
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Well that's what I said to him but he is adamant that he wants to hire me. He has had the jobs posted for just over a month now and hasn't found anyone as of yet.

And I only told him about my application a few days ago so until then he had no idea that I had applied for the IEC.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 11:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well that's what I said to him but he is adamant that he wants to hire me. He has had the jobs posted for just over a month now and hasn't found anyone as of yet.

And I only told him about my application a few days ago so until then he had no idea that I had applied for the IEC.
He has to meet specific criteria for advertising the job vacancy and if he isn't meeting this criteria then no LMIA would be issued.
You will first need to try and find a Canadian or permanent resident to fill the job. You will need to meet some requirements, including posting your job ad on the Government of Canada’s Job Bank, and advertising in two other places
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...574.1484090240

Sometimes relatives get blinded by wanting to hire a relative and ignore the rules. There are other rules as well regarding salary for the job as well.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub...574.1484090240
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just checking, but do you have experience and/or qualifications in the job he's offering you? You say in your other thread you're a make up artist and retail supervisor, so if you've not got experience in the job he's advertising the LMIA will be rejected instantly as you certainly won't be more suitable than a Canadian. So have you experience in admin/PA work? That's essential to be in with a chance of getting a positive LMIA.

If he's been advertising it for a month and not found a Canadian to do it, then he can certainly apply for the LMIA, but tbh I don't really see the point unless you don't get the IEC. By the time he's paid $1000 (plus advertising fees) and waited a couple of months for the LMIA to be granted, you may well have got the IEC anyway and it'll be a lot of cost and hassle for nothing!

Why not wait and see if you do get an ITA soon and then see if he's still struggling to fill the vacancy?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 10th 2017 at 2:28 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

Thank for the relevant links!

Yes I do relevant experience in a couple of the jobs he has posted.

I think I will do that. I will wait a while longer and see whether or not I get an ITA first. It's the option I would prefer.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I think I will do that. I will wait a while longer and see whether or not I get an ITA first. It's the option I would prefer.
Probably the option he would prefer too, given it would save him over $1000 and mean he doesn't have all the paperwork and hassle! Fingers crossed you get an ITA, if not then at least it gives him longer to advertise the job so that he would have a better case for the LMIA - maybe get him to make sure he's advertising it where required (as per the link above), including nationally, so that he can be sure the advertising meets the requirements in case he does apply for the LMIA in the future.

Good luck.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Yeh definitely I agree.

I will do that. I have forwarded him the link already so he can have a read through and see if it's definitely something he wants to go ahead with provided I don't get the ITA.

Thank you for all your help!
Old Dec 10th 2017, 2:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yeh definitely I agree.

I will do that. I have forwarded him the link already so he can have a read through and see if it's definitely something he wants to go ahead with provided I don't get the ITA.

Thank you for all your help!
Actually, I've just realised that neither of the links FL gave you are relevant (sorry FL!). The first is for hiring you as part of a PR app, but as you don't score enough to get PR under EE, that's not an option. The second is VERY out of date (from 2006) and refers to the old LMO procedure, which has been replaced with the LMIA.

Here is the relevant link for hiring you on a LMIA/TWP - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...r-program.html

HTH.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:16 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

There were some changes to the the recruitment process this year. Outlined here https://www.lexology.com/library/det...d-7962894bcc04

It seems LMIA applications are getting scrutinized much more closely now. For some occupations it is going to be very hard to get approvals, especially, where there is a plentiful supply of qualified applicants in Canada. The employer advertising, then stating they cold not find anyone in Canada is quite possibly going to attract more scrutiny of their hiring practices. It seems going through the motions is not enough these days in many instances. ESDC could possibly request a list of applicants and reasons why they were not suitable.

I am thinking to get approval for an admin position is going to be highly unlikely and a $1000 gamble. Not sure how one firm would say they cannot find a candidate, when many others seem to manage. IEC is the way to go if one can.

Last edited by Aviator; Dec 10th 2017 at 3:23 pm.
Old Dec 10th 2017, 3:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
(sorry FL!). The second is VERY out of date (from 2006) and refers to the old LMO procedure, which has been replaced with the LMIA.

No problem thats what happens when IRCC or ESDC don't update their websites when looking at pages on the internet. I knew she wasn't applying for PR under EE as she mentioned TWP or the IEC.
Old Dec 11th 2017, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Thank you!