Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

My childs citizenship, sponsorship family class?

My childs citizenship, sponsorship family class?

Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:23 pm
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: My childs citizenship, sponsorship family class?

No you don't need to include your child in your sponsorship application if you are applying for their citizenship. I applied for my daughters ahead of my applicatio and submitted my sponsor/pr application shortly after. They told my husband it would take up to 6 months and if we are going to Canada sooner, we just contact them. I assume there is no problem with our children travelling on a British passport until their citizenship comes in, then they can get a Canadian passport in 10 days. If your child is over 2, like me and they don't have their papers in time, the embassy will probably issue a facilitation visa. Children 2 years and under can get passports without all the hassle I believe. There are several threads on this you might wish to look at. If your in same situ as me you shouldn't have problems. I submitted my application 2 weeks ago so just waiting now! My husband filled out the citizenship papers and said they were really straight forward.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

nextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nice

So basically" Canada the country that is all for Families" would rather let my son stay apart from me , But yet they where so quick to take our money during the interim

Thanks Canada for that !!!!!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:31 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect it is not canadasfault that you dont understand the rules with regard to dependent children

When you applied for PR you had two choices, either have your son do through the medical and thus retain the right to sponsor him up until the age of 22

Or you could have refused the medical and never been able to sponsor him

You choose to have the medical but now he s over 22

Again not canadas fault
Old Mar 6th 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nextphase
So basically" Canada the country that is all for Families" would rather let my son stay apart from me , But yet they where so quick to take our money during the interim

Thanks Canada for that !!!!!
I have a 14 year old daughter who is not too keen on moving over right now - we are delaying for a year so she can finish up with her GCSE's, but she knows that if she does not come with us, and stays here to do her studies etc, she will not be able to just change her mind when she is older. So she is going to come with us till she has finished her studies - by then she will be able to decide where she wants to live. CIC is specific on their rulings - and they allow up to the age of 22. If you let your visa etc lapse, then it is not Canada's fault.
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

nextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nicenextphase is just really nice

In all due respect to each and everyone , It is with sad regret that I felt the need to blame Canada ... At the end of the day am sure plenty of you would say the same !!!!!!

We are all wanting the best and are prepared to work hard for Canada so to feel let down isnt really out nof order , Therefore yes rules are in place for each of us but to feel angry as a parent I have every right ...
Old Mar 6th 2011, 11:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nextphase
In all due respect to each and everyone , It is with sad regret that I felt the need to blame Canada ... At the end of the day am sure plenty of you would say the same !!!!!!

We are all wanting the best and are prepared to work hard for Canada so to feel let down isnt really out nof order , Therefore yes rules are in place for each of us but to feel angry as a parent I have every right ...
No some of us take personal responsibility for our own decisions.

I love the phrase " as a parent" as if that gives you some kind of moral high ground.

seriously I am curious , how exactly do you hold " Canada" responsible for this ?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 4:21 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by caleo
Our daughters are Canadian (dad was born in canada) and were born in the UK in 2005 and 2007. We have had to apply for proof of citizenship - which took about 7 - 8 months before we could apply for their passport. There is a passport which can be issued in emergencies, but (I think) only for children under 2 - there was a thread about it recently which had this outcome.

Some people have requested faster processing, but whether this actually works or not is not guaranteed.
You apply for a facilitation visa for any children over 2 and under 18 who are Canadian citizens, but haven't received proof: See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc...2009/ob154.asp And follow the instructions.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:21 am
Just Joined

mariosbar is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

does anyone understand the citizenship application forms for a child outside of Canada. I never thought I would say it but feel more gutted that my child would be considered a citizen as 18 months seems a bit ridiculous and the jobs we have been offered won't be there anyway in this time frame. We need to be out there for late summer.

The citizenship application states that you must include the childs permenent residency card or certifcate of landing. (Neither of which I can do). She is born in the UK and we have never lived there. She is over 2 so cannot go down that route.

Do you know how you begin to apply for a facilitation visa and the timelines?. Does an application for citizenship have to be in before this can be applied for. I would presume my daughter might have a swifter way of getting a Canadian passport from within Canada then from here?
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

caleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond reputecaleo has a reputation beyond repute

PMM has posted a link above which shows that there is a visa which can be issued. Also, your child could travel on her UK passport and you could have all copies and receipts for her application for PR.

It does seem like alot to go through, when they are born to Canadian parents, but that is the way it is. Frustrating!

When you complete the form, fill in as much as you can - we phoned them about the proof of ID - driving licence etc. They were quite happy with birth certificates etc, so don't worry too much about the extra info and id. You can only give what is available. I think that for ours, we sent Dad's passport and birth certificate and the girls' birth certificates (long version) to them, and all was fine.
Old Mar 7th 2011, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mariosbar
Hi,

does anyone understand the citizenship application forms for a child outside of Canada. I never thought I would say it but feel more gutted that my child would be considered a citizen as 18 months seems a bit ridiculous and the jobs we have been offered won't be there anyway in this time frame. We need to be out there for late summer.

The citizenship application states that you must include the childs permenent residency card or certifcate of landing. (Neither of which I can do). She is born in the UK and we have never lived there. She is over 2 so cannot go down that route.

Do you know how you begin to apply for a facilitation visa and the timelines?. Does an application for citizenship have to be in before this can be applied for. I would presume my daughter might have a swifter way of getting a Canadian passport from within Canada then from here?
What you need to do is apply for her citizenship certificate and request it to be processed urgently. The urgent route usually only takes a few months.

It costs no extra for an urgent request. All you have to do is include a letter about why you want it urgent. The fact you are planning to land there this summer is good enough reason. That's what we did and we were told the CCCs should arrive within 2 months.

If her CCC doesn't still arrive on time, then you need to prove that she is a Can citizen when you land by providing your birth certificates etc. Once the imm officer is satisfied that she is a citizen, at that point they will issue a facilitation visa; you don't actually apply for it beforehand.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

Note that in most of these discussions, you are apply for PROOF of existing Canadian citizenship of the child. The certificate does not GIVE citizenship to the child - it merely documents citizenship which is already there. You are not applying for the child's "Canadian citizenship", merely a document that says the child already had it.