Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Ontario from UK to live with Husband (to be)

Moving to Ontario from UK to live with Husband (to be)

Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

BBel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Ontario from UK to live with Husband (to be)

Hello,
I am currently living in U.k and work for insurance company here, my husband to be lives in Ontario (Canada) and he is on working visa at a moment. We are getting marry in summers as I would like to move with him as soon as we get marry, is there any way to arrange work permitbefore that?

I have seen temporarily work permit options but for that you need to prove you will be coming back to your country. Is this not issue with employers to hire someone knowing he will gonna leave?

Can someone please advise which is the best option?
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Ontario from UK to live with Husband (to be)

Hi, and welcome to BE.

To get a dependents visa (i.e. one linked to your OH's), then yes, you'll need to be married. Once you're married, you can then get a visa, possibly one allowing you to work (depending on what your OH does).

Alternatively, if you want to try and sort your own work permit so that you can move over before marriage, then how old are you and where are you from? Normally you would need a job offer and LMIA, but as you'll know from your OH getting a work permit, it is definitely possible. And if you're aged 30 or under and from the UK, there is another easier option too........give us more info and we can try and help.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply.

My age is 30 and I am not looking to apply for Spousal visa as this gonna take ages as long as I am aware.

I am currently living in British citizen so I don't think this is gonna be issue to stay in Canada but I am very much concerned about my work permit.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

No, a spousal work permit won't take ages, you can get one straight after getting married (assuming your OH is working in a job that will allow you to get one - not all jobs do so it depends on what he does). Perhaps you're thinking of Permanent Residency?

What kind of work permit is your husband currently there on, and is he planning on applying for PR at any point?

As you're 30 and a UK citizen, take a look at the IEC visa which is an open work permit for those aged 30 & under. If you can get one before you turn 31, that would be your easiest & quickest way over.

And just to clarify, being a UK citizen doesn't give you any right to stay in Canada at all. You can visit, but cannot stay without a visa allowing you to do so.

HTH.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 9:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, a spousal work permit won't take ages, you can get one straight after getting married (assuming your OH is working in a job that will allow you to get one - not all jobs do so it depends on what he does). Perhaps you're thinking of Permanent Residency?

What kind of work permit is your husband currently there on, and is he planning on applying for PR at any point?

As you're 30 and a UK citizen, take a look at the IEC visa which is an open work permit for those aged 30 & under. If you can get one before you turn 31, that would be your easiest & quickest way over.

And just to clarify, being a UK citizen doesn't give you any right to stay in Canada at all. You can visit, but cannot stay without a visa allowing you to do so.

HTH.

Hi, He was student visa for 2 years and now just recently got Temporarily work permit for 3 years. He is hoping to apply of PR after 3 years.

I had a look at IEC visa,I think I can apply before it.But just wondering I have time till summers would you suggest me to apply for skilled worker federal visa ? As this is going to solve my right to live in country and also work permit issue?
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The easiest way is this

You say you are getting married in the Summer of 2018. If getting married outside of Canada say on July 14th and you flew into Canada on 15th July and you had a copy of the marriage certificate or some evidence of the marriage you could be issued with a work permit at the Port Of Entry and paying the $155 work permit fee and the $100 open work permit fee.
You just need to prove you are married and that your husband has a valid work permit for more than 6 months and his work is in skill class 0, A or B.

We need to know your husbands NOC code from his work permit to see what skill level he is.
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The easiest way is this

You say you are getting married in the Summer of 2018. If getting married outside of Canada say on July 14th and you flew into Canada on 15th July and you had a copy of the marriage certificate or some evidence of the marriage you could be issued with a work permit at the Port Of Entry and paying the $155 work permit fee and the $100 open work permit fee.
You just need to prove you are married and that your husband has a valid work permit for more than 6 months and his work is in skill class 0, A or B.

We need to know your husbands NOC code from his work permit to see what skill level he is.

I am not 100% sure what his NOC is, but he is assistant account manager in a private construction firm. I am assuming it should be either A or B.

Can I do the same thing if I get marry in Canada? Let's say I go for my marriage and travel back and then do this process?
Old Oct 1st 2017, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BBel
I am not 100% sure what his NOC is, but he is assistant account manager in a private construction firm. I am assuming it should be either A or B.

Can I do the same thing if I get marry in Canada? Let's say I go for my marriage and travel back and then do this process?
You could but it has its risks like any route. Judging by his job title then its safe to say he would fall under 0, A or B skill level.
Was it your intention to get married in Canada?
If getting married in Canada then all it would need is proof of the marriage and a short day trip to the US come back and be issued with the work permit.
My concern would be your initial arrival in Canada and what you would be saying to the officer as purpose of visit and would you have a return ticket to show you intended to leave Canada although its not a legal requirement as at that point you are not legally married.