Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moving to Canada: Disabled child and working as a Social Worker

Moving to Canada: Disabled child and working as a Social Worker

Old Oct 30th 2015, 1:28 am
Just Joined

maltan607 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Canada: Disabled child and working as a Social Worker

Hi,
My family and I are planning to move to Canada from the UK but we've hit a few roadblocks during the research phase which brought me here! A few (hopefully) quick questions:

1) I have a disabled 20 year old son with learning difficulties and we're not sure if he would be considered too big a burden by CIC. He doesn't require medical treatment or anything like that but it's social services that he would need. He currently attends a special school in the UK. I know of course that you can't give a conclusive 'yes' or 'no' on whether our application would be declined but I was wondering if anyone had been in the same situation or had some advice on that front?

2) I currently work as a Social Worker (I have a CQSW). For any Social Workers out there, just how easy is it to transition over and re-train? We're currently looking into going to Alberta (my husband works as a Medical Microbiologist and has found jobs of interest there though that may change!) which has different job requirements to the rest of Canada so far as social work is concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
Old Oct 30th 2015, 4:46 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Canada: Disabled child and working as a Social Worker

Hi

Originally Posted by maltan607
Hi,
My family and I are planning to move to Canada from the UK but we've hit a few roadblocks during the research phase which brought me here! A few (hopefully) quick questions:

1) I have a disabled 20 year old son with learning difficulties and we're not sure if he would be considered too big a burden by CIC. He doesn't require medical treatment or anything like that but it's social services that he would need. He currently attends a special school in the UK. I know of course that you can't give a conclusive 'yes' or 'no' on whether our application would be declined but I was wondering if anyone had been in the same situation or had some advice on that front?

2) I currently work as a Social Worker (I have a CQSW). For any Social Workers out there, just how easy is it to transition over and re-train? We're currently looking into going to Alberta (my husband works as a Medical Microbiologist and has found jobs of interest there though that may change!) which has different job requirements to the rest of Canada so far as social work is concerned.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
1. Your son is over the age 18 which in most cases means he is no longer a dependent and can't be included in the application. But he would fall under the following definition of a dependent:

"In all cases, a child will continue to be considered a dependant, regardless of age, if they have depended substantially on their parents for financial support since before the age of 19 and are unable to be financially self-supporting because of a mental or physical condition."

Where you will have a problem is the use of social services, which falls under "excessive demand" Which is about $6400 per year. So it quite likely that his costs would exceed the threshold. You can only overcome it, if you have a plan in place that would not cost the Canadian tax payer for his needs. You may wish to read the algorithm here on how it would be processed: Excessive demand on health and social services

2. To work as a social worker in most provinces you would need a minimum of a bachelor's degree in SW, you would have to have your CQSW evaluated by one of the Designated organizations to determine it's Canadian equivalent . Assuming your spouse has a degree in his specialty, he would be the principle applicant.
Old Oct 30th 2015, 8:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

1) I have a disabled 20 year old son with learning difficulties and we're not sure if he would be considered too big a burden by CIC. He doesn't require medical treatment or anything like that but it's social services that he would need. He currently attends a special school in the UK.
This is likely going to be an issue.

Canada is not a place to be as an adult with a disability either, especially one who is in need of care and support. The services are not there once they turn 18, a big responsibility for the family and what do they do once the parents are gone?
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:13 pm
Just Joined

maltan607 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your responses, very helpful!
Another quick question-which family members are required to do the English language testing? Is it just both adults, or would my teenage children have to do so also? We're going for IELTS.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks for all your responses, very helpful!
Another quick question-which family members are required to do the English language testing? Is it just both adults, or would my teenage children have to do so also? We're going for IELTS.
1. Just the principal applicant, but you can gain additional points if the spouse also takes the IELTs