Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Moved: can i send my passport back for the visa

Moved: can i send my passport back for the visa

Old Jul 17th 2007, 10:25 am
Just Joined

1725tell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moved: can i send my passport back for the visa

We are expecting requests for passports any day now. I am also flying out to canada on the 10th August. my dilemma is as follows, if the request does not come through quick enough and i need to hold onto my passport to fly out, can i then send it back to my wife who can send off all the passports together, and then post it back to me ?? i understand that i will then have to drive across the border into the US and then return and land officially, but is this feasible. I am desperate to not have to return just to get the passport off to CIC.

many thanks

bob
Old Jul 17th 2007, 3:17 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moved: can i send my passport back for the visa

Yes, it is feasible but use a courier service. That way you can prove delivery and avoid worry.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:54 pm
Just Joined

1725tell is an unknown quantity at this point

has anybody been down this route, how stress full is it?
Old Jul 19th 2007, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

SarahBella is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd like to know that as well! Am really wanting to bring my partner down on Aug 20th.

Jim, I was wondering if it will be a problem to cross the U.S border and come back around to "land". Do the officers look down at this? Also, the CHC wouldn't mind getting the passport from Canada?? I'm just paranoid about getting my partner in trouble and delaying the process even further.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah
Old Jul 19th 2007, 2:13 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming your partner applied overseas and receives his PR visas while in Canada then all he has to do is go to the border, cross into the USA and tell the INS officer he intends to return for landing in Canada. They will issue him with proof he entered the USA and all he need do is go right back to land.
Old Jul 19th 2007, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

SarahBella is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Assuming your partner applied overseas and receives his PR visas while in Canada then all he has to do is go to the border, cross into the USA and tell the INS officer he intends to return for landing in Canada. They will issue him with proof he entered the USA and all he need do is go right back to land.
Wonderful! Thanks so much for your help! I have heard of people trying to go across the border of Buffalo and turn around to land and being given a hard time by the officers there? Is it not something they usually allow?

Sorry for all the questions