Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Move to Canada before application processed

Move to Canada before application processed

Old Feb 3rd 2011, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Linlaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Move to Canada before application processed

Sorry if I'm repeating but I couldn't find anything searching wiki and forum. My husband is a Canadian citizen and sponsoring me for my perm res move from London uk to Toronto. We are finalising forms , however once I put in the forms for processing, if we decide to move to Canada before we have had a decision made on my applications, can I still go while they are being processed? Did I read right that if my application is being processed in London then I may have to fly back to uk for my interview? Also does anyone know how long they hold our passports for as I'm travelling to the USA in June?
Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Move to Canada before application processed

Originally Posted by Linlaz
Sorry if I'm repeating but I couldn't find anything searching wiki and forum. My husband is a Canadian citizen and sponsoring me for my perm res move from London uk to Toronto. We are finalising forms , however once I put in the forms for processing, if we decide to move to Canada before we have had a decision made on my applications, can I still go while they are being processed? Did I read right that if my application is being processed in London then I may have to fly back to uk for my interview? Also does anyone know how long they hold our passports for as I'm travelling to the USA in June?
Thanks
From what I've seen on here before, I know that you can go while it is being processed. I believe you need to enter into Canada under a 'duel intent' if you do it this way. You're right, there is a chance they may want to interview you in London, but, again from what I've read before the chance is quite slim. I guess you'll just have to fly back if you have to.
Once you're granted your PR, London then requests your passport. Others on here can verify, but I think it usually takes a couple of weeks if you're in the UK. You can get it done in a day if you go to London in person, but this wouldn't be an option for you.

Hope that helps somewhat! I'm sure someone else will be along to confirm it for you though.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ah thanks for that, I'm seeing different things and mostly positive, I guess I'm just getting a little anxious as my husband may have a new job to go to before we are ready to move, exciting though!!!!
Old Feb 4th 2011, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

ah thanks for that, I'm seeing different things and mostly positive, I guess I'm just getting a little anxious as my husband may have a new job to go to before we are ready to move, exciting though!!!!
That's very exciting! Have you sent off your paperwork yet? For what it's worth, applications seem to be going quite quickly - usually within 4 months or so from start to finish. Lots of people have had their PR within 3 months even!

Hope it all goes ok for you. Let me know if there's anything else you want help with.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

yes I was checking out the threads on timelines yesterday, so exciting. I have sent off for my police certificate and have everything else ready to go, just waiting for that, so as soon as it comes, any day now, I'll send off my application. If you're right and it's around that time, I'll have no problems. In the meantime, we are waiting for my daughters citizenship to come back too, so that makes my application less complicated. I will post a thread when I send it off and hear back so to keep in with the others, especially if we have a ticket, that may speed things up! Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

yes I was checking out the threads on timelines yesterday, so exciting. I have sent off for my police certificate and have everything else ready to go, just waiting for that, so as soon as it comes, any day now, I'll send off my application. If you're right and it's around that time, I'll have no problems. In the meantime, we are waiting for my daughters citizenship to come back too, so that makes my application less complicated. I will post a thread when I send it off and hear back so to keep in with the others, especially if we have a ticket, that may speed things up! Thanks for your help.
Sounds like you're nearly sorted then! Did you get your medical done already? I'm assuming so - just thought I'd ask as you need to get it before you send off the paperwork to CPC-M.

Yeah, I'm also waiting for my children's proof of citizenships to come through. I requested they be processed urgently so hopefully it won't be too much longer now! Ideally we don't want to go down the facilitation visa route, but if we have to then we have to I guess, if they don't come on time.

Oh, and make sure you pay your Right of Permanent Residence fee upfront with all your other fees before you send off the application. It speeds things up if you do it all at the same time.
Old Feb 4th 2011, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the fee advice, will do! Where are you you moving to? I thought that you didn't need to get your medical done upfront, that you had to wait for them to ask you to go for your medical? Should I do it upfront then to speed up the process?
Old Feb 4th 2011, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the fee advice, will do! Where are you you moving to? I thought that you didn't need to get your medical done upfront, that you had to wait for them to ask you to go for your medical? Should I do it upfront then to speed up the process?
Going down the spousal route you MUST have your medical and x-rays done BEFORE you send off your application! This is essential. Are you located in England? If so, here is the list of designated Medical Practitioners for England:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/dmp-md/medicali...ryName=England

Contact the one nearest to you and book an appointment - only you need to get the medical, not your husband or daughter (as they are already Canadian citizens). Tell them it's for Canadian immigration. Also tell them you need to book x-rays as well and they will sort that out for you too. You should get the appt within a couple of weeks.

You must take 'Appendix C - Medical Instructions' with you to the appt:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

After the appointment the dr will give you a copy of the medical report that proves you had the examination. You must include this copy with your application package. For more info, read here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ides/3999E.asp

Scroll down the page to read all about how to go about the medical - it lists everything you need for it, including passport photos, eye glasses, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by Cowgirl; Feb 4th 2011 at 11:00 pm.
Old Feb 5th 2011, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

Maybe I misread it, I have the form ready to go, only I read somewhere that the visa office will let me know when I need to go, but I'll go with your advice and the info you sent and will make an appointment ASAP, what a nightmare, I could have done this ages ago. Thanks for that. OMG and another thing..... :-)
Old Feb 5th 2011, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Maybe I misread it, I have the form ready to go, only I read somewhere that the visa office will let me know when I need to go, but I'll go with your advice and the info you sent and will make an appointment ASAP, what a nightmare, I could have done this ages ago. Thanks for that. OMG and another thing..... :-)
For other types of applications the medical is done later on. But for your type of application (spousal) it has to be done beforehand.

I know - there's so many things to do and think about, it's a nightmare! We can all relate. But if you go through everything several times with a fine-tooth comb and ask for help on this forum for anything you're stuck on, then you'll be fine!
Old Feb 5th 2011, 3:14 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

It says to include it on the region specific forms for the UK:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/guides/3901e.pdf

PROOF OF MEDICAL EXAMINATION
Include for yourself and each of your family members Copy 2 of the Medical Report-Section A that the DMP will sign and give to you when you undergo the medical examination. See Appendix C for additional information.

The form you take is on the same part of the application kit.

Edit: Oops - I just realised Cowgirl already gave you that link, sorry!

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 5th 2011 at 3:16 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud ofbewillow has much to be proud of

You definitely can move to Canada before the processing is finished. We did it very happily, and a year previously we had met a family (on our flight) who was doing the same thing.

Details of our "dual intent" entry are at: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7819469

If you move to Ontario, here is information about getting OHIP coverage. If you already have the SPONSORS sponsorship confirmation letter when you arrive in Canada, then OHIP begins 3 months after you arrive. If you get it after you have moved to Canada, then OHIP starts 3 months from the date of the letter. http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=639651

Last edited by bewillow; Feb 7th 2011 at 7:41 pm.
Old Feb 7th 2011, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian_Fig is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently entered Canada after sending off my application a few weeks before.
I too came to Toronto.
It was very painless (i may have been lucky at the POE), i advised the chap at the border that i had a spousal application in processing and I said that i wanted to 'dual intent' entry and asked if i could have a 6 month visitor visa.
He said 'no problem' and even said do i want 12!! But i would have to go to immigration for that, so passed as just wanted to see the wife and you can request an additional 6 month extension anyway.
I have hopped in and out of the country 6-7 times over the last 10 months and this still didn't deter him.
I also hear that its even easier when you are with you spouse! But not sure how it gets any easier than how i had it...he didn't ask for any of the proofs that i had taken with me...i.e letter from employer and all stuff showing i still had links to the UK...which i would advice taking aswell.

Good luck.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Ah that's fantastic news and I'm sure my husband will be relieved to hear that, especially if a job offer comes sooner than the application process, as we'd much prefer to move with him, naturally! Thanks for the advice all.

I noticed that in Appendix A, with the Photo specifications and medical form, there is a form for Travel. Is this the form you fill out to record evidence of trips together, only I had already created a word document to support our relationship evidence of trips we had made together with reasons, will they want me to transfer this information onto the Travel supplementary information sheet, does anyone know? thanks bunches
Old Feb 8th 2011, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Canadian_Fig is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't fill out that form.
I think it was called 'Supplementary Travel' or something like that.
I was about to then saw that it was only for people applying via paris.

This is what it says in the first bit of the guide 'Persons submitting their application to the Canadian visa office in Paris must complete the attached IMM 5562 form, Supplementary Information – Your travels.'