Medical Nightmare

Old Oct 14th 2004, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Medical Nightmare

Hi All,

I have been a frequent visitor on this forum, but this is my first time posting. I am residing in the United States. I have lived here since 1996 and completed my bachelor's and masters here. I have been working since 2002 on an H1 visa.

Here is my timeline for Canada:

- Feb 2004 - AOR

- Sept 2004 - Interview Waiver.

I was delighted upon receiving my interview waiver. I though that the medicals would be a breeze, but was I in for a surprise.

I have NO contagious diseases that I can spread (all blood testing was clear). The chest x-ray was clear and everything else was perfect. The only exception was a childhood surgery that I had 14 years back: a benign tumour had developed in my right wrist and it was surgically removed and a small hip bone was grafted in place of my wrist bone. This was a successful procedure and the condition has not surfaced in 14 years! All my routine medical checkups for my arm have been clear!

However today after looking at my arm the doctor said that it would be grounds for application rejection - I WAS IN SHOCK....I MEAN WHAT THE F***. He then asked me to get ALL the reports from when I had the procedure done 14 years ago. But he told me not to keep my hopes very high.

I am very depressed right now. How could he be so dismissive? Not to boast , but I have a master's degree from an Ivy league school and am currently working for a Big 5 consulting firm - I am no leach that's going to suck on their medical system. How can they deny me over a condition that was corrected 14 years ago and never surfaced again?

Please share your thoughts? Is this doctor correct in what he says?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

MrBosco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Medical Nightmare

Originally Posted by viperrt10
Hi All,

I have been a frequent visitor on this forum, but this is my first time posting. I am residing in the United States. I have lived here since 1996 and completed my bachelor's and masters here. I have been working since 2002 on an H1 visa.

- Feb 2004 - AOR

I was delighted upon receiving my interview waiver. I though that the medicals would be a breeze, but was I in for a surprise.

I have NO contagious diseases that I can spread (all blood testing was clear). The chest x-ray was clear and everything else was perfect. The only exception was a childhood surgery that I had 14 years back: a benign tumour had developed in my right wrist and it was surgically removed and a small hip bone was grafted in place of my wrist bone. This was a successful procedure and the condition has not surfaced in 14 years! All my routine medical checkups for my arm have been clear!

However today after looking at my arm the doctor said that it would be grounds for application rejection - I WAS IN SHOCK....I MEAN WHAT THE F***. He then asked me to get ALL the reports from when I had the procedure done 14 years ago. But he told me not to keep my hopes very high.

I am very depressed right now. How could he be so dismissive? Not to boast , but I have a master's degree from an Ivy league school and am currently working for a Big 5 consulting firm - I am no leach that's going to suck on their medical system. How can they deny me over a condition that was corrected 14 years ago and never surfaced again?

I'm no ex-Visa officer, but it is my understanding that DMPs are supposed to refrain from making that kind of comment. Seems very unprofessional to me. That doctor doesn't make the decision--Ottawa makes it.

If I understand the process correctly, it is believed that the average Canadian resident uses about $3500 per year in medical costs. If Ottawa believes that your condition will not cost Canada that much or more, you will likely be approved.

I don't think there are ever any guarrantees about medical issues, but I seriously doubt things ares as bleak as the doctor led you to believe.

For example: my 20 year old son was a dependent on my application. He had ear surgery a couple of years ago...has some damage and had to be entubated. On the CAIPS notes, the doctors indicated that future treatment was likely. But it was not enough to have my application denied.

Keep your hopes up
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

nervous_wreck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Bosco,
When u got the notes, what was the latest recording on them? I mean in terms of dates? I ordered mine on Sept 28th. I know that Buffalo got my medicals somewhere around end of august/beginning of september.
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:37 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by nervous_wreck
Hi Bosco,
When u got the notes, what was the latest recording on them? I mean in terms of dates? I ordered mine on Sept 28th. I know that Buffalo got my medicals somewhere around end of august/beginning of september.
Hey Nervous, When did your doctor send your medicals? End of July? How did you know that Buffalo received them?
Old Oct 14th 2004, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

well, as i wrote before, i contacted MedCanada (its not an online company)located in Ottawa. They have a phone # for immigration services (don't have it handy). i called them (used to be headquartered in Jean Edmonds Tower...the center of medical services connected with immigration..so i know for sure they are the right people)..gave them my file # and requested an update of status
They told me initially (end of july) that processing was taking 4 -6 weeks.
Around beginning of septemeber, called them again and they told me 'Buffalo have everything they need from us..we processe it about a week ago and forwarded ur results to Buffalo'..they didn't gimme the exact date though...but did check with me to confirm there was only one person on the application.
So now i know buffalo has my results for about a month and half now
This is what i used to do pretty much in August aside from pacing up and down my living room!!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:06 pm
The ECA Godfather

MJ23 will become famous soon enough

well, as i wrote before, i contacted MedCanada (its not an online company)located in Ottawa. They have a phone # for immigration services (don't have it handy). i called them (used to be headquartered in Jean Edmonds Tower...the center of medical services connected with immigration..so i know for sure they are the right people)..gave them my file # and requested an update of status
They told me initially (end of july) that processing was taking 4 -6 weeks.
Around beginning of septemeber, called them again and they told me 'Buffalo have everything they need from us..we processe it about a week ago and forwarded ur results to Buffalo'..they didn't gimme the exact date though...but did check with me to confirm there was only one person on the application.
So now i know buffalo has my results for about a month and half now
This is what i used to do pretty much in August aside from pacing up and down my living room!!
Thanks Nervous! Can you please send me a private message with the phone number when you have it? Thanks in Advance!
Old Oct 14th 2004, 11:09 pm
Forum Regular

no problem
Old Oct 15th 2004, 1:31 am
Forum Regular

samochod50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All,

- Feb 2004 - AOR

Go to a different doctor, bud. Don't show off your wrist too excessively and you will be fine. There are doctors that want to screw you up and there are those who are more humane and try to help you "perform" fine, if you will. Good luck and don't come back to this moron. He sure does not promise you high chances to succed. Take his words seriously and forget about him.

Last edited by samochod50; Oct 15th 2004 at 6:00 am.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

amina is an unknown quantity at this point

Although the DMP can divulge the outcome of the medical results, I think he's not allowed to further comment on matters of admissibility because it is the job of CIC's medical officers.

During my medicals, I had a very accomodating and thoughtful DMP. When he found out that there were traces of blood in my son's urine, he immediately instructed my son to undergo another urine test but before doing so he advised him (my son) to drink a bottle of mineral water first. A couple of hours later, we got the results and twas fine.
Old Oct 15th 2004, 7:47 am
Just Joined

rajivnayan is an unknown quantity at this point

no problem
Hi nervous_wreck,

Can you send me the phone no so that I can check the status of my medical.

Thanks for the help.
RAj
Old Oct 15th 2004, 8:08 am
l2704

l2704 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by rajivnayan
Hi nervous_wreck,

Can you send me the phone no so that I can check the status of my medical.

Thanks for the help.
RAj
I think you should not worry about what the doctor has told you.I think it is very unprofessional on his part and he also does not have the right to say whether you are going to get rejected or accepted.If your health history is fine and you have proved it ,i am sure you should not worry about this !!!!please do not loose faith ,you will be ok as it is CIC that decides..

Good luck !!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

viperrt10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your replies and wishes, it's greatly appreciated. I just hope that the CIC officer ignores any biased remarks by the doctor at the time he makes a decision. I am wondering if it would help if I sent a letter to the officer explaining what the medical "professional" had said to me?

Wish me luck!
Old Oct 15th 2004, 4:53 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks everyone for your replies and wishes, it's greatly appreciated. I just hope that the CIC officer ignores any biased remarks by the doctor at the time he makes a decision. I am wondering if it would help if I sent a letter to the officer explaining what the medical "professional" had said to me?

Wish me luck!
Pointless to send a letter. All the DMP does is send the medical results to Immigration Medical Services. It is IMS who make the decisions on medical inadmissibility.

PMM
Old Oct 15th 2004, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

water-ruby is an unknown quantity at this point

Hay nervous, can u send it to me too pls? thanks

no problem