Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Med Requests and Police Checks.. advice pls

Med Requests and Police Checks.. advice pls

Old Apr 5th 2008, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

kinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the rough
Default Med Requests and Police Checks.. advice pls

Hi

We've just received our (myself and my "common-law" partner) Medical requests, which is great news we'd been waiting since September 07 when we sent off the 90 day updates..

The request asks for:

Medical Examination
Right of Permanent Fee
(these two I understand)
Original Police Certificates (we both sent UK Subject Access off with our 90 update)
Principal Applicant (myself)- FBI, State of Colorado checks (I worked over there for 2 ski seasons)
Am I right in thinking they ONLY want the FBI checks on myself or are we best doing the UK police checks again and if so do we go for the Subject Access like we sent with our 90 day update or the controversial ACPO?

I presume this is the right application process for the FBI checks http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm (please correct me if this is wrong) and I am going to find out from my local police office today who can take the fingerprints for that, this apparently takes 3-4 weeks, can anyone verify or add anything to this pls?

We also have an extra box drawn on the request form stating "Declaration of common-law relationship"
I'm just wondering what they want in regards to this? We have recently got engaged (which is hard to prove in paper form), we do have the mortgage in both our names (which we've already sent with the 90 day update) and our council tax (which we haven't sent) but other than lots of holiday snaps we dont have anything else that really proves our relationship (no joint account or even bills, we just split the bills accordingly).

Can anyone suggest anything?, we can get parents and friends to write letters backing up our relationship but i'm not really sure how this would actually prove it?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give... thanks
Old Apr 5th 2008, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

lenart will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Med Requests and Police Checks.. advice pls

Hi Kinl,

I recieved both FBI and NYPD checks back within 3 weeks of sending them of 1 set of fingerprints for each of the above cost came to £90 I think it cost us about $25 charge for the FBI AND NYPD admin.

Was very impressed with the turn around considering UK Police took 40 days aprox.

Hope this helps.

Cheers Len
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kinl
Hi

We've just received our (myself and my "common-law" partner) Medical requests, which is great news we'd been waiting since September 07 when we sent off the 90 day updates..

The request asks for:

Medical Examination
Right of Permanent Fee
(these two I understand)
Original Police Certificates (we both sent UK Subject Access off with our 90 update)
Principal Applicant (myself)- FBI, State of Colorado checks (I worked over there for 2 ski seasons)
Am I right in thinking they ONLY want the FBI checks on myself or are we best doing the UK police checks again and if so do we go for the Subject Access like we sent with our 90 day update or the controversial ACPO?

I presume this is the right application process for the FBI checks http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm (please correct me if this is wrong) and I am going to find out from my local police office today who can take the fingerprints for that, this apparently takes 3-4 weeks, can anyone verify or add anything to this pls?

We also have an extra box drawn on the request form stating "Declaration of common-law relationship"
I'm just wondering what they want in regards to this? We have recently got engaged (which is hard to prove in paper form), we do have the mortgage in both our names (which we've already sent with the 90 day update) and our council tax (which we haven't sent) but other than lots of holiday snaps we dont have anything else that really proves our relationship (no joint account or even bills, we just split the bills accordingly).

Can anyone suggest anything?, we can get parents and friends to write letters backing up our relationship but i'm not really sure how this would actually prove it?

I appreciate any advice anyone can give... thanks
With regards to the Common Law Pertnership request ther is a form on the CIC website called Statutory Declaration of Common - Law Union have you sent this in with application? Just completing it myself at this very moment you will find it if you click on work temporarily on the right hand side then under application forms and guides.
Old Apr 6th 2008, 11:51 am
Just Joined

kinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the roughkinl is a jewel in the rough

Thanks very much for that... I called in to the local police station and was told to call Bradford House in Manchester (this is my nearest) so I'll call up on monday as there was no reply yesterday.

I found the link to the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union at http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kit...s/IMM5409E.PDF just incase anyone else needs it who finds this thread, we hadn't filled one in before as part of our Skilled worker application.

Is it worth sending in photos of ourselves and written letters from family and friends and including it as "other documentary evidence" as part of that form, or would that form and our mortgage evidence (and I think the life insurance too) be surfice?

thanks