Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Married couple keen to move to Canada - where to start?

Married couple keen to move to Canada - where to start?

Old Oct 22nd 2017, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

kitmcf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Married couple keen to move to Canada - where to start?

Hi all
We have had a dream (like so many) to move to Canada for a while now.
There is so much info to wade through and so many options I have no clue where to start so would appreciate any and all advice.

My husband and I are 36 and 37 respectively. I have a degree, he does not.

I am a primary school teacher but it is not essential to use this route into Canda as I know how hard it is. I am willing to do whatever eg a career change if needed.

It has also been suggested that I could write to private schools directly to attempt to get an offer of employment. Is this a valid route? I have experience in the UK of English/French Bilingual Education programmes though I teach the English part only. I have A level French.

My husband is educated to A level and is based in performing arts - both manegerially and as an actor.

I just don't know where to start. We'd love to live in Ottawa or maybe Toronto.

Any thoughts or guidance much appreciated.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Married couple keen to move to Canada - where to start?

Originally Posted by kitmcf
Hi all
We have had a dream (like so many) to move to Canada for a while now.
There is so much info to wade through and so many options I have no clue where to start so would appreciate any and all advice.

My husband and I are 36 and 37 respectively. I have a degree, he does not.

I am a primary school teacher but it is not essential to use this route into Canda as I know how hard it is. I am willing to do whatever eg a career change if needed.

It has also been suggested that I could write to private schools directly to attempt to get an offer of employment. Is this a valid route? I have experience in the UK of English/French Bilingual Education programmes though I teach the English part only. I have A level French.

My husband is educated to A level and is based in performing arts - both manegerially and as an actor.

I just don't know where to start. We'd love to live in Ottawa or maybe Toronto.

Any thoughts or guidance much appreciated.
Assuming neither one of you is a Canadian citizen?

Start at Selection factors: federal skilled workers. Do you have over 67 points? If so, go onto Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry. How many points? Can probably assume full points for English, and basic to intermediate for A level French.

That's for Federal Skilled Workers, which is normally the starting point for people in your situation.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 9:25 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

This route take a long time, but may be open to your husband
Find out if you’re eligible – Self-employed
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

kitmcf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
This route take a long time, but may be open to your husband
Find out if you’re eligible – Self-employed
Thanks - had not heard of this before.
He is indeed currently self employed and has been for the third year in a row.

Will investigate.

Thanks again
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 11:33 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitmcf
Thanks - had not heard of this before.
He is indeed currently self employed and has been for the third year in a row.

Will investigate.

Thanks again
The criteria requires more than just being self employed. It is a very narrow window of qualification. There are faster routes if you qualify, but this is another to consider.