Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

My PR card was activated in March 2013, expiry March 2018
I believe the processing time for a renewal is around 3 months.

I would like to apply for citizenship and will have been present for 4 years in
May 2018. The wait for citizenship is 12 months. Does this mean I can only apply at 4 years and have to wait until I've been here 5 years before receiving it?!@

The immigration officer said that time spent outside of Canada whilst living with a Canadian resident counted towards the time yet I cannot find any information on that on CIC.

Does this time gap mean I have to reapply for PR status and then 2 months later apply for citizenship?

You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18.
Exceptions to these requirements apply for certain Crown servants and certain family members of Crown servants.
When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident of Canada.
Find out if you have lived in Canada long enough to apply to become a citizen.

Last edited by Scribble; Jun 9th 2016 at 9:11 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reapply for PR or citizenship: crossover dates are close.

Actually you don't reapply for PR status you are applying for a new PR card and to get the card you need to meet the residency obligation. If you never travel outside Canada then no need to renew anything.
Old Jun 9th 2016, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

There's no either or. You apply for a PR card to be renewed (as FL says, note: it's the card that's being renewed, not your status as a PR) and then should you meet the eligibility criteria for citizenship, you can apply for that too.

The physical presence calculator is quite a good tool:
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/...245.1465139649

and:

Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18.

Exceptions to these requirements apply for certain Crown servants and certain family members of Crown servants.

When calculating how long you have lived in Canada, you can only count time spent after you became a permanent resident of Canada.

Find out if you have lived in Canada long enough to apply to become a citizen

Determine your eligibility – Citizenship

S
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Actually you don't reapply for PR status you are applying for a new PR card and to get the card you need to meet the residency obligation. If you never travel outside Canada then no need to renew anything.
The card only lasts 5 years. So, even if you don't leave, you need a new one?
My question is about the short overlap of dates. I will have to pay for a new PR and then immediately apply for citizenship. 2 separate processes.

Last edited by Scribble; Jun 10th 2016 at 1:10 am.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You have misunderstood. There is no requirement to have a PR card. You are a PR if you are a landed immigrant whether you have a PR card or not. The PR card functions a bit like a passport: a PR needs one to return to Canada from abroad (as well as their passport of course). If your PR card expires and you don't get another, you are still a PR. The issue will be that if you go abroad, you may find it difficult to get on the plane back to Canada. It is proof of your status as a PR when outside of Canada.

Yes, it is quite possible that you will decide that you need to apply for a new PR card and then you will also decide you will apply for citizenship at about the same time or with a short space of time. As you say, two separate processes and there isn't an issue if they are concurrent ones.

S
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scribble
The card only lasts 5 years. So, even if you don't leave, you need a new one.
My question is about the short overlap of dates. I will have to pay for a new PR and then immediately apply for citizenship. 2 separate processes.
No you don't. There is no legal requirement to hold a PR card if living in Canada. The PR card is proof of your status when travelling back to Canada by a commercial carrier.
There are thousands of PR's who don't have a PR card and have been here for over 20 yrs and they don't renew anything.

From CIC ENF Manual 27
IRPA does not require permanent residents in Canada to hold a PRC nor to have one when they present themselves at a port of entry.
Accordingly, officers at ports of entry may allow entry into Canada of permanent residents whose status can be established through a variety of other means. Nevertheless, as per A31(2)(a), persons who present a valid PRC at a port of entry are presumed to have this status, unless an officer determines otherwise.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf27-eng.pdf
Old Jun 10th 2016, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, as FL points out, at the POE there are other ways officers can check if the person is a PR but getting on the plane when abroad is what you need the PR card for.

S
Old Jun 10th 2016, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Yes, as FL points out, at the POE there are other ways officers can check if the person is a PR but getting on the plane when abroad is what you need the PR card for.

S
No one checks it when abroad it is only checked on landing, at least that's my experience even if it's not meant to be that way
Don't you need the PR card to get a job as well? Employers always ask for it?
So, the cost to renew the PR card is not the same as when I first applied for it including medical etc.?
If that is the case, then is there really any need to apply for citizenship if I can remain a PR for ever?

Last edited by Scribble; Jun 10th 2016 at 1:00 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2016, 1:19 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need it to get a job but you may get asked for proof that you are allowed to work. Your copr would suffice.
As for remaining a pr. Yep you can do that but becoming a citizen means you can vote and don't have to maintain your residency requirement
Old Jun 10th 2016, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

From CIC ENF Manual 27
IRPA does not require permanent residents in Canada to hold a PRC nor to have one when they present themselves at a port of entry.
Accordingly, officers at ports of entry may allow entry into Canada of permanent residents whose status can be established through a variety of other means. Nevertheless, as per A31(2)(a), persons who present a valid PRC at a port of entry are presumed to have this status, unless an officer determines otherwise.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../enf27-eng.pdf
I'm curious about this bit, and determining eligibility - if I get PR, and live with my Canadian partner outside Canada, I maintain my status as PR as though I were living in Canada. But if I present myself alone at a port of entry, how is this established? If I've lived like that for three years, then from the officer's perspective, how do they tell between a person who is living with a citizen partner overseas, and someone who cannot meet the residency requirement? (or is it just 'ask them', and try to find liars?)
Old Jun 10th 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
I'm curious about this bit, and determining eligibility - if I get PR, and live with my Canadian partner outside Canada, I maintain my status as PR as though I were living in Canada. But if I present myself alone at a port of entry, how is this established? If I've lived like that for three years, then from the officer's perspective, how do they tell between a person who is living with a citizen partner overseas, and someone who cannot meet the residency requirement? (or is it just 'ask them', and try to find liars?)
In cases like that you would probably be given a residency questionnaire and the onus is on you to prove that you are married to a Canadian and have been living with them. The onus is on you to prove you are a PR and meet the residency obligation at the end of the day.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa....asp#appendixA

See Appendix A of the above link.
Old Jun 13th 2016, 2:11 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

In cases like that you would probably be given a residency questionnaire and the onus is on you to prove that you are married to a Canadian and have been living with them. The onus is on you to prove you are a PR and meet the residency obligation at the end of the day.
Applying for a Permanent Resident Card (PR card) - Initial application, replacement, renewal or to change sex designation (IMM 5445)

See Appendix A of the above link.
Sorry...I am not hijacking someone's thread, but....if you arrived and activated your PR, but then returned to where you came from, then came back - permanently- before your Health Check expired....whilst living with a Canadian.... would you take the date of your COPR, or the date that you came with your Goods and Chatels and husband and kid, for the determination of date for Citizenship?

I've been waiting so long for the vote now that it all seems irrelevant, they have to give it to me one day...but maybe I can apply sooner than anticipated?

Come 2nd August this year, I will have been present in Canada, on a daily basis, for 4 years!
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by MillieF
Sorry...I am not hijacking someone's thread, but....if you arrived and activated your PR, but then returned to where you came from, then came back - permanently- before your Health Check expired....whilst living with a Canadian.... would you take the date of your COPR, or the date that you came with your Goods and Chatels and husband and kid, for the determination of date for Citizenship?

I've been waiting so long for the vote now that it all seems irrelevant, they have to give it to me one day...but maybe I can apply sooner than anticipated?

Come 2nd August this year, I will have been present in Canada, on a daily basis, for 4 years!
Citizenship requirements are different to those of a PR. For citizenship you physically have to be living in Canada for the amount of time required
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/...9?redir=faq#Q9
Old Jun 13th 2016, 5:00 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but thought better than starting a completly new one - hope that was correct but sure I'll get told if not

My family and my PR's expire on Aug 12th - I'm going to get them all off and sent for renewal this week.

However, we are all driving over to the US August 18th to see my Dad who is visiting my sister in Minneapolis for his 80th birthday.

I understand the PR's are not required for returning via road. Is this true and will we be able to get back in without any hassles ?
Old Jun 13th 2016, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Animal
Sorry if this is hijacking the thread but thought better than starting a completly new one - hope that was correct but sure I'll get told if not

My family and my PR's expire on Aug 12th - I'm going to get them all off and sent for renewal this week.

However, we are all driving over to the US August 18th to see my Dad who is visiting my sister in Minneapolis for his 80th birthday.

I understand the PR's are not required for returning via road. Is this true and will we be able to get back in without any hassles ?
No PR card required if travelling by private vehicle but expect to be questioned. Take proof that you have applied for new PR cards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.