Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Lots of questions about moving from UK to Canada, and Im confused :S

Lots of questions about moving from UK to Canada, and Im confused :S

Old Jun 19th 2009, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

kate7590 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Lots of questions about moving from UK to Canada, and Im confused :S

Hi everyone, Im new here. I have been googling about canadian/uk citizens and came across this forum and found it really helpful and interesting, so signed up!

Anyway- My fiance is canadian and is here on a 2yr working holiday visa [which can only be done once, and he cant re-apply.] The visa expires July 2010.
I am British and have lived here in the UK my whole life.
Eventually we want to move to Canada and start our life there, but its all so confusing!!
I know it wont be for a couple years yet but Id like to know more about it really, cause at the moment everything is just mind boggling!

1-How does my fiance go about getting some sort of citezenship for the UK coz he will have to be here for a bit more than the 2 year visa allows to be able to get enough money to move to Canada.?

2-How will I go about moving to Canada with him?

3-Iv heard that if you get married it makes it easier? And something about sponsering? But what does this mean?:S

4-Do we have to have a particular amount of money before we can move?

Sorry for all the questions, but I do really want this to work and have been getting myself really worked up about this, the whole not knowing bit is annoying me lol.
Basically I just want to know the nitty gritty so I have something to read through and be able to understand, something thats strait forward so to speak.

If anyone can help me/us, Ill be ever so appriciative!
Kind regards- Kate x
Old Jun 19th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lots of questions about moving from UK to Canada, and Im confused :S

your first stop with applying for a Canadian visa should be the canadian immigration website

www.cic.gc.ca

that will give you lots of information on the sort of visas available to you, and what you need to do to qualify for them.

Good luck
Old Jun 20th 2009, 4:41 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lots of questions about moving from UK to Canada, and Im confused :S

Originally Posted by kate7590
Hi everyone, Im new here. I have been googling about canadian/uk citizens and came across this forum and found it really helpful and interesting, so signed up!

Anyway- My fiance is canadian and is here on a 2yr working holiday visa [which can only be done once, and he cant re-apply.] The visa expires July 2010.
I am British and have lived here in the UK my whole life.
Eventually we want to move to Canada and start our life there, but its all so confusing!!
I know it wont be for a couple years yet but Id like to know more about it really, cause at the moment everything is just mind boggling!

1-How does my fiance go about getting some sort of citezenship for the UK coz he will have to be here for a bit more than the 2 year visa allows to be able to get enough money to move to Canada.?

Read these weblinks for information on how he can stay in the UK

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...ndingyourstay/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...cy/settlement/
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/uk...dcivilpartner/

2-How will I go about moving to Canada with him?
Get married and fill out the forms!

3-Iv heard that if you get married it makes it easier? And something about sponsering? But what does this mean?:S

If you are married he will be able to apply to stay in the UK (see above) and he can sponsor you to come to Canada. Sponsoring means he agrees to be financially responsible for you and that he is requesting that you be allowed to come here (basically)

4-Do we have to have a particular amount of money before we can move?
You will need to be able to prove that you are going to move back to Canada (job / accommodation etc) and as such will need some funds to start off with, however, if you are married there is no minimum income requirement.

Sorry for all the questions, but I do really want this to work and have been getting myself really worked up about this, the whole not knowing bit is annoying me lol.
Basically I just want to know the nitty gritty so I have something to read through and be able to understand, something thats strait forward so to speak.

If anyone can help me/us, Ill be ever so appriciative!
Kind regards- Kate x
Hope that helps
Old Jun 20th 2009, 8:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to the info that the others have given you, that you don't have to be married for your OH to sponsor you. If you have lived together for at least a year and can prove it (i.e. with utility bills in both names, joint bank account, rental agreement or mortgage statement in both names, etc) then he can sponsor you as a common-law partner. This is exactly the same process as for those that are married, so being married won't make it any easier.

No idea about him getting UK citizenship though, sorry!

Have a read of the Wiki (on blue bar at top of page) which has loads and loads of info which should help, including a section on spousal sponsorship.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old Jun 21st 2009, 10:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No idea about him getting UK citizenship though, sorry!
If the plan is to get married in the United Kingdom, and assuming one partner is a British citizen, the Canadian should:

1. Get a Certificate of Approval to marry;
2. Once married, apply to switch status to spouse;
3. After 2 years as spouse, apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR);
4. Once ILR is held, if there is 3 years legal residence, apply for British citizenship.

Don't let visa expire for any reason without applying for a new one, and bear in mind that rules for citizenship may change by 2010-11.