Looking for advice

Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:25 am
Just Joined

Ritch91 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice

Hello everyone,

Someone has offered to "sponsor me" to get into Canada on a work visa, with the opportunity to work on a rig in Canada.

I have read the quick guide to a Canadian visa, but still a little unsure of my options. My aim is to work in Canada and then eventually be eligible for a permanent visa. I am 22 years old.

If anyone who has a good knowledge of the process or has actually gone through this process I would be very grateful for any advice you could offer.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice

Still required to have a LMO to get work permit. Has the person willing to 'sponsor' you tried to get on? You may want to consider the IEC next year. See wiki and the threads in immigration re IEC
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:45 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Looking for advice

I'm confused by what you mean about someone offering to "sponsor you"... do you mean that an employer is willing to apply for an LMO for you, or do you mean that someone has offered to marry you and sponsor you as their spouse? The latter, of course, is illegal.

If you are looking to get a work permit, then as Silverdragon said, you have a few options, two obvious ones are to have the employer apply for an LMO, which then gives you a temp work permit, or you can apply through the IEC program next January. Lots of info about both on the wiki.

The other thing that might be a possibility is to look into the provincial nomination programs, there might be something there, but you haven't said which province you are going to, and I don't know enough about working on rigs to know if the job would qualify.

I'd recommend reading through the wiki and then coming back with some more specific questions - you will then find more helpful answers.