LMIA - live in caregiver

Old Jun 24th 2015, 5:33 am
PR since Aug 2013

HoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to behold
Default LMIA - live in caregiver

Hi - How easy (quick) is it to get an LMAI for a nanny? CIC estimates 2 months. Any real experiences? We'd love my sister to come to Canada as a nanny to our son (she would love to as well). It reunites our family, solves my childcare needs and is a path to permanent residence for her in 2 years. Lots of paperwork to complete, contracts, job description etc etc but not sure how long it takes to get the work permit. She has an 11 year old daughter and if my sister comes, my niece would obviously have to come also. Does that mean getting a study permit for my niece to attend school? Would my sister be able to switch from a visitor visa to a work permit? (if for example they came here in August on their british passports while the work permit was being processed) but we need to be sure my niece can go to school in September. (We'd need a place for her at a school etc etc).

If anyone has been through the nanny process here, do let me know. Thanks.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 6:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMIA - live in caregiver

2 months is realistic, but I'm going to be rather pessimistic I'm afraid and say that I think the chances of your getting a LMIA for your sister are slim.

How much formal childcare experience does she have, or childcare qualifications? If she's been a nanny for years and has qualifications to suit the job you might just manage it, but bear in mind you'll have to show that you've advertised the job across Canada and been unable to find any suitable Canadian to do it, and that your sister is the most qualified person that applied.

Just as an aside, don't forget that she'll need permission to remove her daughter from the UK for the father (or a court order if she can't get that). Her daughter will be able to attend school as the dependent child of a TWP holder.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:44 pm
PR since Aug 2013

HoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to beholdHoneyB is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for replying. I know nothing with CIC is certain but it's worth a shot. My sister is a qualified teacher with over 22 years of experience, 3 degrees and demonstrated experience with youth education and sports. Never been a nanny though.

No issue with the father. All docs will be provided. His work means he travels extensively and to them all it almost doesn't matter where my sister and niece are based. In fact he wants stability for them where family are. They're in Spain now, then in Italy so ideally if they come here and get my niece into school for September that would be perfect. I guess my main question is can my sister switch from a visitor visa to a work permit while remaining in Canada or does she have to leave the country? If she leaves the country, can we cross into the US or does she have to return to the UK?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HoneyB
I guess my main question is can my sister switch from a visitor visa to a work permit while remaining in Canada or does she have to leave the country? If she leaves the country, can we cross into the US or does she have to return to the UK?
She would need to 'flagpole' i.e. go to the border to activate her work permit.

So it's possible, although I'd strongly recommend that she doesn't take her child out of school in the UK as a back up, so she can return to the UK in Sept if needed (that's if she's in school in the UK, I'm not sure from your post).

HTH, good luck and do keep us posted on how the LMIA app goes.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

The rules changed for Live In Caregivers on 30 November 2014.
She will have to apply under the 2 new streams developed as in this link
Caregiver Program
She is not eligible for the Live In Caregiver so must qualify under the 2 new streams.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 3:59 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The rules changed for Live In Caregivers on 30 November 2014.
She will have to apply under the 2 new streams developed as in this link
Caregiver Program
She is not eligible for the Live In Caregiver so must qualify under the 2 new streams.
They're only for people already working there on a TWP as a live in caregiver though, so won't apply to the OP's sister yet. She can't apply for PR until she's done 2 years working as a nanny.
Old Jun 24th 2015, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
They're only for people already working there on a TWP as a live in caregiver though, so won't apply to the OP's sister yet. She can't apply for PR until she's done 2 years working as a nanny.
My bad just read some more and it now appears the only way is for her to get a normal regular work permit for 2 years then submit a PR application.
Mmmm the chances of getting a regular work permit and a positive LMIA might be difficult.
No wonder there have been numerous complaints from families seeking to hire a nanny under the new rules.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

There have been complaints here in BC about people trying for over a year to get a nanny from overseas, and that the rules seem to change almost daily. One couple said they had received 4 different requests for more information, with another request following as soon as they provided it.
Old Sep 24th 2015, 9:38 pm
PR since Aug 2013

I received a PM from someone but I cannot respond via PM to them. So, here's a quick update on our situation. We didn't go down the LMIA route in the end. My sister got an excellent job offer in Europe which keeps her, my niece and my brother-in-law in the same country for a year which is great! We found a great nanny here in Calgary. In the meantime my sister is looking at other options for 2016 which will hopefully get them over here permanently. At least they'll be visiting us this Christmas in any event!
Old Sep 25th 2015, 1:05 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by HoneyB
I received a PM from someone but I cannot respond via PM to them.

Erm. Not good. Especially if from someone with no BE post history .

Thanks for thinking to share on the open forum HoneyB. Much appreciated.

When it comes to anything to do with Immy and Visas it is ALWAYS best to keep exchanges on the forums.