LMIA - Being Realistic?

Old Nov 2nd 2015, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

5318008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LMIA - Being Realistic?

Hello

First post (maybe last too!) so apologies if the questions been asked... I wondered if there was a resource somewhere which listed the job types and perhaps provinces where LMIA's have been granted recently?

The backstory to this is that I went through the Manitoba PNP process a few years ago, got accepted all the way through but had to withdraw due to unexpectadly becoming a carer. I've got friends in Winnipeg and just had a tentative offer of a job through someone I met last trip over, but I've read up on the LMIA changes and I don't want to waste either the employers time or mine if theres no realistic chance of it being granted. He says he could employ someone today in other provinces, but been struggling to find someone in Manitoba. I thought if there was a way of viewing what jobs had been granted LMIA's it might help me decide whether to progress this or say thanks but no thanks...
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: LMIA - Being Realistic?

Hi be very clear that an LMIA is an employer application and the employer must pay for the application and any other costs (like professional representation) related to it themselves.

If you want to do some research yourself, you could start by looking at the job bank, checking what the median wage for the job in the area is, how many similar positions are being advertised in that particular region, what the outlook is etc. I can't post a link because I'm on my phone. Think it's jobbank.gc.ca

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 2nd 2015 at 2:34 pm.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 2:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 5318008
I wondered if there was a resource somewhere which listed the job types and perhaps provinces where LMIA's have been granted recently?
There isn't

I've read up on the LMIA changes and I don't want to waste either the employers time or mine if theres no realistic chance of it being granted. He says he could employ someone today in other provinces, but been struggling to find someone in Manitoba.
Applying for a job is no issue, it would be up to the employer as to whether they want to go to the expense and bother of trying for a LMIA.

The red bit is where your problem lies, if there is someone in Canada (not one particular province) the LMIA won't be granted. An employer has to try nationwide to hire Canadian.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - the employer actually told me about the LMIA fee, my knowledge of the immigration process is three years out of date! I've had a look at job bank to check if theres other similar jobs, but I'd also read that LMIA approvals are massively down but couldn't find anything to say whether that was because of the fee or if they were being stricter on what roles were acceptable...
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Aviator
An employer has to try nationwide to hire Canadian.
Ah ok. I gather he has advertised on the major job-boards with no luck, but there are most definitely people elsehwhere in Canada who could do this role, if they were inclined to move to Winnipeg. This job offer is basically three years too late!!
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 3:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

couldn't find anything to say whether that was because of the fee or if they were being stricter on what roles were acceptable...
Both. The employer has to pay the $1000 fee, applications are 72% down. ESDC are being strict with scrutinizing the applications.

It has nothing to do with roles, rather the availability of Canadian labour.
Old Nov 2nd 2015, 5:10 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ok. I gather he has advertised on the major job-boards with no luck, but there are most definitely people elsehwhere in Canada who could do this role, if they were inclined to move to Winnipeg. This job offer is basically three years too late!!
Well the above sounds promising... If he can't find labour willing to move and he is willing to pay the fee and meets the criteria then what's the harm in applying?
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tirytory
Well the above sounds promising... If he can't find labour willing to move and he is willing to pay the fee and meets the criteria then what's the harm in applying?
Part of me thinks this too! I was just a bit hesitant to have him pay out a grand though if it wasn't likely to be accepted, so i thought if I could do some research first it would give us a better idea...
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 3:31 pm

Part of me thinks this too! I was just a bit hesitant to have him pay out a grand though if it wasn't likely to be accepted, so i thought if I could do some research first it would give us a better idea...
There is no way to tell and it won't give you a better idea. What worked for one, may not work for another.

If the employer follows all the protocols for hiring and still cannot find anyone, they have put themselves in the best position for success. End of the day, it is up to the reviewing officer.

There are issues such as unemployment rate in an area, the industry, how the employer advertised, what records they kept, their interviewing and hiring practices, how much effort it looks like the put into the search and hiring process, their relationship (if any) with the candidate, wages and benefits offered, etc. etc.
Old Nov 3rd 2015, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Ok, I guess if I pass that message on to him and he's still happy to try, then I've done as much research as is realistic to do! Thanks for taking the time to help!