Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Old Sep 16th 2015, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I have not heard of that exam board. I know today they confirmed that they will not access things like ACCA (accounting) qualifications.

I have just decided to get my degree assessed and if CIC refuse me because my qualifications have nothing to do with my NOC code/work then so be it. I go back to the UK.

Good luck with it
Cheers!

Where are you at the moment? We're still trying to figure out where to settle!
Old Sep 16th 2015, 6:43 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Obitim
I've deciphered the website and my score comes out below the approx 450 (a lack of Canadian work experience appears to have hobbled me!) at around 291 - including my partner, if I go with her scores then we only get an extra 3 points so it doesn't make sense to have her as the primary applicant either!

So I guess my next steps should be IELTS and ECA, but not to apply for EE, and look out for a PNP? Or would being in the EE pool assist with PNP? In the first instance I would be happy to be offered a job in Canada and then to attempt PR once I'm over...the main thing I'm after is a job first...
That's what you'll need, unfortunately with 295 or so there's no way you'll get invited to apply for PR. Personally, if I were you, I'd not bother with IELTS or ECA yet, as you could do it and then waste a year or more of the validity period just job hunting. I'd wait until you actually have a LMIA or PNP to get you the extra 600 points needed, and then have it done, but that's JMO.

Appartently according to my conversation with ICAS this morning. they will access qualifications providing they have come from a well known exam board (EdExcel) so based on that they may be able to assess some trade certificates. No good for the OP who has professional but it may not just be academic
I'd count those as academic personally - perhaps I should clarify that by 'academic' I don't just mean degrees etc.

I have not heard of that exam board. I know today they confirmed that they will not access things like ACCA (accounting) qualifications.
That's interesting, as they've always done ACCA in the past, did they specifically mention that qualification by name? That's not good news for any accountants.

You mention your degree not being related to your NOC code, but it doesn't have to be - where have you read it does? Any old degree will do!

Where are you at the moment? We're still trying to figure out where to settle!
I wouldn't worry about that too much either tbh, as you'll need a job offer from an employer prepared to sponsor you, you'll need to just go wherever you can find work and a LMIA/PNP. So you might not get much choice in your location unfortunately.

What do you both do?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oompa,

I work in IT, previously it had been mainly helpdesk work, but I've since got experience with Cisco and also working with heathcare systems and more of a technical operations role.
Old Sep 16th 2015, 2:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Oompa,

I work in IT, previously it had been mainly helpdesk work, but I've since got experience with Cisco and also working with heathcare systems and more of a technical operations role.
OK. Whoosh. (that was the sound of your explanation going right over my head).

I'd suggest you post in the main forums with a relevant thread title so that those working in IT see your thread and can give you advice on job hunting and the chances of being sponsored for a job like yours, I'm afraid I have no idea about IT related occupations.

And what does your wife do?
Old Sep 16th 2015, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK. Whoosh. (that was the sound of your explanation going right over my head).

I'd suggest you post in the main forums with a relevant thread title so that those working in IT see your thread and can give you advice on job hunting and the chances of being sponsored for a job like yours, I'm afraid I have no idea about IT related occupations.

And what does your wife do?
I get that a lot!

my wife is a solicitor in the UK but is looking to get out so will probably try something else when we move over, I'm actually quite into IT so I'm happy to be the breadwinner for a change!

I'll have a look for the IT thread in the main forums and see what I can find then!

Many thanks for the help you've given so far! It's been brilliant!
Old Sep 20th 2015, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Hi again,

I've since been in touch with someone who currently lives in Canada and has offered to do some introductions with some IT firms in Winnipeg, as a result, my wife and I are heading out on a bit of a recce in June next year, is there anyone on the boards who can tell me anything about the area?
Old Sep 21st 2015, 9:21 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Hi again,

I've since been in touch with someone who currently lives in Canada and has offered to do some introductions with some IT firms in Winnipeg, as a result, my wife and I are heading out on a bit of a recce in June next year, is there anyone on the boards who can tell me anything about the area?
There are lots (a quick forum search will bring up loads of threads on Winnipeg), but you're better off asking in the main Canada forums as they're very unlikely to see your question on a thread in the immi section of the forum about qualifications/IELTS.

So if you start a new thread in the main forums with a relevant thread title, I'm sure that those in Winnipeg will be able to help.

Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2015, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
There are lots (a quick forum search will bring up loads of threads on Winnipeg), but you're better off asking in the main Canada forums as they're very unlikely to see your question on a thread in the immi section of the forum about qualifications/IELTS.

So if you start a new thread in the main forums with a relevant thread title, I'm sure that those in Winnipeg will be able to help.

Good luck.
Cheers Oompa! You've been a massive help!