Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Old Sep 7th 2015, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Hi there,

I just wanted to ask a couple of questions as detailed in the title:
What is the expiration period of qualification equivalence and the language tests?

Is there any difference between the 3 institutions that offer the qualification equivalence service?

How do you book the Canadian English Test? Can it be done in the UK or do you need to go to Canada to do it? I see that CELPIP isn't yet offered internationally, but when I tried the IELTS in the UK, it appears that you can only book an exam for UK English?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 8th 2015, 12:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language and Qualifications Equivalance

Originally Posted by Obitim
What is the expiration period of qualification equivalence and the language tests?
IELTS is valid for 2 years (What are the language requirements for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?), but if you're applying under EE do note that the test results must be valid for at least as long as your profile will last i.e. a year.

Your ECA will be valid for 5 years - How long is an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report valid for?

Is there any difference between the 3 institutions that offer the qualification equivalence service?
No, they're all acceptable so just go with whoever you think is best - most people choose the company with the quickest processing time as it can vary massively.

How do you book the Canadian English Test? Can it be done in the UK or do you need to go to Canada to do it? I see that CELPIP isn't yet offered internationally, but when I tried the IELTS in the UK, it appears that you can only book an exam for UK English?
That's what you need though. IELTS only tests English, so you just need to find your nearest test centre and book an exam.

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Obitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond reputeObitim has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Oompa!

I don't think I was clear enough on the IELTS bit, when I looked on the website there is a Canadian English test, but that only appears to be bookable in Canada, then there is an English UK test as well, that's what threw me, so in that case would the UK English test be acceptable?

Regards,
Tim
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

Gorbzilla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Obitim,

The main IELTS.org site is a bit confusing to be honest. Try this: https://ielts.britishcouncil.org/Default.aspx

Scroll down and choose United Kingdom. Then for the Module choose General Training. Absolutely make sure you book the general training, the academic training is not acceptable for Express Entry.
From CIC: IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests: “General Training” and “Academic.” You must take the “General Training” option. Language testing—Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Hope this helps
Old Sep 11th 2015, 11:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks Oompa!

I don't think I was clear enough on the IELTS bit, when I looked on the website there is a Canadian English test, but that only appears to be bookable in Canada, then there is an English UK test as well, that's what threw me, so in that case would the UK English test be acceptable?

Regards,
Tim
No, I understood, but it doesn't matter - you just need an IELTS English exam result, it doesn't matter if it's UK English or Canadian English.
Old Sep 11th 2015, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, I understood, but it doesn't matter - you just need an IELTS English exam result, it doesn't matter if it's UK English or Canadian English.
I'm with you!

Cheers for the clarification! That'l all good then, time to get this show on the road!
Old Sep 15th 2015, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

I have a new question, when I'm submitting my qualifications for ECA, is it worth including things like Comptia A+ and ITIL qualifications? or just my academic ones (undergraduate degree) and possibly my PGCE despite the fact that neither are relevant to the jobs that I will be searching for?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:05 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I have a new question, when I'm submitting my qualifications for ECA, is it worth including things like Comptia A+ and ITIL qualifications? or just my academic ones (undergraduate degree) and possibly my PGCE despite the fact that neither are relevant to the jobs that I will be searching for?
I've no idea what those qualifications are, but if they're professional rather than academic then you can't get them assessed and they won't count for anything. If you look at the info pages on the ECA organisations websites, you'll see that they will only assess academic qualifications.

So unless they are academic, just send the degree and PCGE.

HTH.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 6:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

P.S. What do you score on the CRS? Is it enough to get selected from the pool without a job offer?
Old Sep 15th 2015, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

Morning Oompa!

Sorry for the late reply I'd just come off nights, I've not assessed the scores yet as I've not taken the IELTS, is there a method of self assessing the points for express entry? Or should I work through the criteria and assume certain things? (I'm also trying to build a network of contacts in Canada while job hunting from the UK although I know that its pretty tough to do it this way)
Old Sep 15th 2015, 4:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Morning Oompa!

Sorry for the late reply I'd just come off nights, I've not assessed the scores yet as I've not taken the IELTS, is there a method of self assessing the points for express entry? Or should I work through the criteria and assume certain things? (I'm also trying to build a network of contacts in Canada while job hunting from the UK although I know that its pretty tough to do it this way)
You should get max points or close to it for IELTS as a native speaker unless something goes horribly wrong with the exam, so it would be safe to assume that you'll score at least 29 for language (more if you speak French too).

You can check your score here - Express Entry – Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria

Realistically, you'll need to score above approx 450 to be in with a chance of being selected and invited to apply for PR, hence why I asked - if you don't come close to this score then you'll need a job offer, so you might want to hold off and wait to apply for your ECA as it could take a while to find a job offer/LMIA and get over there.

HTH, good luck.
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Oompa,

I've deciphered the website and my score comes out below the approx 450 (a lack of Canadian work experience appears to have hobbled me!) at around 291 - including my partner, if I go with her scores then we only get an extra 3 points so it doesn't make sense to have her as the primary applicant either!

So I guess my next steps should be IELTS and ECA, but not to apply for EE, and look out for a PNP? Or would being in the EE pool assist with PNP? In the first instance I would be happy to be offered a job in Canada and then to attempt PR once I'm over...the main thing I'm after is a job first...
Old Sep 15th 2015, 8:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I've no idea what those qualifications are, but if they're professional rather than academic then you can't get them assessed and they won't count for anything. If you look at the info pages on the ECA organisations websites, you'll see that they will only assess academic qualifications.

So unless they are academic, just send the degree and PCGE.

HTH.
Appartently according to my conversation with ICAS this morning. they will access qualifications providing they have come from a well known exam board (EdExcel) so based on that they may be able to assess some trade certificates. No good for the OP who has professional but it may not just be academic
Old Sep 15th 2015, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

That's interesting Becki, as I no longer teach but do have exams from PearsonVue...
Old Sep 16th 2015, 12:43 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting Becki, as I no longer teach but do have exams from PearsonVue...
I have not heard of that exam board. I know today they confirmed that they will not access things like ACCA (accounting) qualifications.

I have just decided to get my degree assessed and if CIC refuse me because my qualifications have nothing to do with my NOC code/work then so be it. I go back to the UK.

Good luck with it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.