Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible?

Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible?

Old Jan 2nd 2018, 9:47 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible?

Hi Everyone,

We received COPR last year and are planning a short landing trip to activate PR later this year.

As we can only go for a few days and it's literally just a formality, we're just planning on getting to Canada as easily and cheaply as possible. Would we be OK to activate our PR in Montreal airport?

We'd have return tickets, neither of us speak French and our only history and connections in Canada are in Toronto so I don't think convincing them that we don't plan on settling in QC would be all that difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 12:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible?

Yes you can do the landing in Montreal. If no address in Canada then the PR card won't be issued and you would need a PRTD if you wished to fly back to Canada unless you went via the USA and entered by a land border in a private vehicle.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 8:09 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Yes you can do the landing in Montreal. If no address in Canada then the PR card won't be issued and you would need a PRTD if you wished to fly back to Canada unless you went via the USA and entered by a land border in a private vehicle.
Thanks. It would have to be a PRTD I think since neither of us can drive.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:18 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
1. The OP maybe taking a chance "landing" in Montreal, CBSA there take the position if you don't have an outside Quebec address for the PR card or don't have onward transportation outside Quebec, they may not "land" you as you don't have a CSQ.
Old Jan 3rd 2018, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with PMM: why create complexity when you don't need to?
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:45 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I agree with PMM: why create complexity when you don't need to?
Tbh I was just asking on the off-chance that I found a cheap flight to Montreal that fitted in with the time we have available to do this. In all likelihood we would probably land at Pearson because that is the most popular Canadian destination from Western Europe (I'd like to avoid US transit if at all possible).

Plus we know Toronto quite well having lived there before whereas I've only made a few short trips to Montreal in the past.
Old Jan 4th 2018, 9:47 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. The OP maybe taking a chance "landing" in Montreal, CBSA there take the position if you don't have an outside Quebec address for the PR card or don't have onward transportation outside Quebec, they may not "land" you as you don't have a CSQ.
I would have onward transportation outside Quebec. I'd have a return flight ticket to the UK, probably dated around 48 hours around arrival.