British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/landing-trip-montreal-possible-907426/)

DigitalGhost Jan 2nd 2018 9:47 pm

Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible?

Hi Everyone,

We received COPR last year and are planning a short landing trip to activate PR later this year.

As we can only go for a few days and it's literally just a formality, we're just planning on getting to Canada as easily and cheaply as possible. Would we be OK to activate our PR in Montreal airport?

We'd have return tickets, neither of us speak French and our only history and connections in Canada are in Toronto so I don't think convincing them that we don't plan on settling in QC would be all that difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Former Lancastrian Jan 3rd 2018 12:45 am

Re: Landing trip to Montreal - is it possible?

Yes you can do the landing in Montreal. If no address in Canada then the PR card won't be issued and you would need a PRTD if you wished to fly back to Canada unless you went via the USA and entered by a land border in a private vehicle.

DigitalGhost Jan 3rd 2018 8:09 am

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12409606)
Yes you can do the landing in Montreal. If no address in Canada then the PR card won't be issued and you would need a PRTD if you wished to fly back to Canada unless you went via the USA and entered by a land border in a private vehicle.

Thanks. It would have to be a PRTD I think since neither of us can drive.

PMM Jan 3rd 2018 7:18 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12409606)

1. The OP maybe taking a chance "landing" in Montreal, CBSA there take the position if you don't have an outside Quebec address for the PR card or don't have onward transportation outside Quebec, they may not "land" you as you don't have a CSQ.

Snowy560 Jan 3rd 2018 7:25 pm

I agree with PMM: why create complexity when you don't need to?

DigitalGhost Jan 4th 2018 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Snowy560 (Post 12410323)
I agree with PMM: why create complexity when you don't need to?

Tbh I was just asking on the off-chance that I found a cheap flight to Montreal that fitted in with the time we have available to do this. In all likelihood we would probably land at Pearson because that is the most popular Canadian destination from Western Europe (I'd like to avoid US transit if at all possible).

Plus we know Toronto quite well having lived there before whereas I've only made a few short trips to Montreal in the past.

DigitalGhost Jan 4th 2018 9:47 am

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 12410316)
Hi

1. The OP maybe taking a chance "landing" in Montreal, CBSA there take the position if you don't have an outside Quebec address for the PR card or don't have onward transportation outside Quebec, they may not "land" you as you don't have a CSQ.

I would have onward transportation outside Quebec. I'd have a return flight ticket to the UK, probably dated around 48 hours around arrival.