Landing and returning to the UK

Old Oct 28th 2015, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Goldie6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Landing and returning to the UK

Hi, I have searched for answers to my queries, and read around on the CIC website but not found all the information I need, so apologies if I've missed something, but thought I'd just ask...

We (me, my common-law partner and two dependant children) have now got COPR and need to land by 6th July 2016. This is fantastic, but we don't feel we have enough time to arrange all of our affairs. It all came through much faster than we thought (8 months from application on the FSW entry in Dec 2014 to obtaining the COPR in August).
We are wondering if it is possible to book return flights to go to Canada (Calgary) for landing purposes, then return to the UK after a week or two?? Or do we have to stay in Canada to wait for our PR cards to enable us to leave and return to Canada? I understand to fulfil PR obligations, we need to live in Canada for a minimum of two years in a five year period.
Basically, we would ideally like to land in Canada before our deadline, but return to England within a week or two, complete all our necessary stuff-house, schooling, personal belongings, finances etc, then permanently immigrate to Canada, probably within a year or so after landing. Is this possible? If not, are there any ways around it?
We're getting a bit overwhelmed and bogged down with it all, so any helpful advice would be greatfullly received.
Many thanks in advance
Old Oct 28th 2015, 10:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing and returning to the UK

Landing as PR-Canada : British Expat Wiki

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Perman...nt_Card-Canada

HTH.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Oct 28th 2015 at 10:23 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi one thing you do need to be really clear about regarding the residency obligation is that, yes it is 730 days out of five years. But many people get confused and don't realise this is on an ongoing basis.

So it could be possible that you might meet the residency obligation in the first five years, but by year 7 (or even year 6) (after becoming a PR), you might not be meeting the residency requirement (of 730 days in Canada) for the previous 5 years, depending on how much time you spend outside Canada.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 28th 2015 at 11:07 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you do this its important to tell CBSA that on landing you are not establishing a residence and you do not have a goods to follow list as it is NOT REQUIRED.

Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation
9. A person's status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
D2-2-1 Memorandum - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:43 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks to all of you! Christmasoompa, your links made it oh so simple-why did I not find that info?! So we can plan our flights! The other good news is that I have family in Manitoba, so can ask them for consent to provide their address to have the PR cards mailed to!
Snowy560, I get you, not considered that but have thought that once we make the leap, we make the leap for good, so would hopefully go on to apply for citizenship, but I will bear your advice in mind just in case.
Former Lancastrian, to be honest, I lost you part way through, I will re-read yours again tomorrow but I'm hoping it means we can bring our personal belonging, duty free at a later date-after initial landing? Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
I feel like a weight has been lifted though, knowing now that we can take a trip to Canada for landing purposes and then come back (to Lancashire) to arrange things with more time.
Many thanks everyone, much appreciated!
Old Oct 28th 2015, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Goldie6
Many thanks to all of you! Christmasoompa, your links made it oh so simple-why did I not find that info?! So we can plan our flights! The other good news is that I have family in Manitoba, so can ask them for consent to provide their address to have the PR cards mailed to!
Snowy560, I get you, not considered that but have thought that once we make the leap, we make the leap for good, so would hopefully go on to apply for citizenship, but I will bear your advice in mind just in case.
Former Lancastrian, to be honest, I lost you part way through, I will re-read yours again tomorrow but I'm hoping it means we can bring our personal belonging, duty free at a later date-after initial landing? Sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree.
I feel like a weight has been lifted though, knowing now that we can take a trip to Canada for landing purposes and then come back (to Lancashire) to arrange things with more time.
Many thanks everyone, much appreciated!
Basically it means when a person is doing a landing they are in most cases classed as a Settler and have to provide a list of any goods to follow when they do the landing.
In your case you won't (shouldn't) be classed as Settlers as you are not establishing a residence when you land. When you eventually move over for good that is when the B4 form and any lists of goods to follow are presented.
Old Oct 29th 2015, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, what FL is saying is what I did.
Landed, no goods to follow paperwork
Went back to the UK for a few months
Came back to Canada for good, bringing goods to follow paperwork.

The shipping company you use will organise the forms you need. Well ours did.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Oct 29th 2015 at 1:02 am.
Old Nov 1st 2015, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

Ahh! Thank you, that all makes sense now. Very valuable information, many thanks!