Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Landing Question..... please help!!

Landing Question..... please help!!

Old Apr 14th 2005, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

kki6 is on a distinguished road
Question Landing Question..... please help!!

Just a couple of quick enquiries.

1. Are there any provisions for applying for SIN and PR card at the airport upon landing? If there are, are these counters/desks etc open 24 HRS? I am scheduled to land at about 19.30.

In addition, will Customs too be open at this time - for my 'goods to follow' list? (sorry I'm from the UK and we have part time immigration and Customs service)

2. I think I've got myself mixed up with the goods to follow list. What forms exactly do I need to fill for this? There seems to be two forms - B4 and B4A both titled Personal Effects Accounting Documents

Many thanks.

Last edited by kki6; Apr 14th 2005 at 1:03 pm. Reason: Addition of a further question
Old Apr 14th 2005, 1:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing Question..... please help!!

Hi Kki,

If you're providing an address and photo, you'll get a PR card sent to you automatically. The landing procedure hasn't got anything to do with getting a SIN though - although some provinces have settlement services at the airport, a friendly Canadian who will give you a "welcome pack" which may or may not include amongs other things a booklet and information on how to go about getting a SIN, but this is just a nice touch, not anything to do with the official landing as such.

If you're coming off an international flight I'd bet my bottom dollar that immigration and customs will be there. They don't close until all international flights are landed and processed, I'm sure.

I think B4a is to be used as continuation sheets for B4, but I'm only saying that from memory, maybe someone else knows for certain?

Best of luck, hope yours is a "smooth landing"!

Biiiiink
Old Apr 14th 2005, 3:40 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Hi kki6

I landed last week in Halifax Nova Scotia. I arrived at 20:30. There are always immigration officers for the PR card. That is done automatically when you land and are directed to Immigration.

Once you collect your luggage at the carrosel you go to customs and show them the PR papers that was just issued (a copy of COPR) and give the Goods to follow. Now when I pulled out forms B4 E and B4 A the lady was delighted that I had already completed them, making her job a good deal easier. B4E is the front sheet for goods to follow B4A is the detailed list of everything that is following, with a value. Use as many B4 A as you need to complete the list. Customs will stamp every sheet and take copies. I downloaded all of these forms off the CIC website.

I read so many horror stories and was as worried as you. Its very straight forward... in fact... easy is a better term. Don't worry!!!

Now SIN card. I went to the local HRSD office two days ago. Filled in the forms (wife, two kids and myself - one each). The lady said she would send mine priority. THIS MORNING it arrived.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BH PNP
Hi kki6
Now SIN card. I went to the local HRSD office two days ago. Filled in the forms (wife, two kids and myself - one each). The lady said she would send mine priority. THIS MORNING it arrived.

Hope this helps.

Brian
Brian

Many thanks man. You're a life saver!! I'm was worried about the list/Customs etc.
On the issue of the SIN card, you received it in 2 days? Why did she make yours a priority?
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Hi Kki,

I think B4a is to be used as continuation sheets for B4, but I'm only saying that from memory, maybe someone else knows for certain?

Best of luck, hope yours is a "smooth landing"!

Biiiiink
Sorry guys if I'm sounding thick.... which is which? Is the B4A the continuation of B4e??

Is one the list of the things I taking with me to land? and the other the list of goods to follow?

Kay
Old Apr 14th 2005, 4:50 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

I did not have a list of goods with me. Customs could check there and then if they wanted.

I'm looking at the form right now. B4 E (04) Personal Effects accounting document basically identifys name your canadian address and there is a short (8 line) description of goods and final a tick box for goods to follow. All I put in the 8 line description was " details attached on form B4 A (04).

Your b4 A (04) then can list (26 lines per sheet) everything.

They didn't check what I actually had in my suitcase, and I had seven big ones.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kki6
Sorry guys if I'm sounding thick.... which is which? Is the B4A the continuation of B4e??

Is one the list of the things I taking with me to land? and the other the list of goods to follow?

Kay
"E" after those forms just means English version, i.e. not French...but it does make it all confusing!

I haven't looked them up but I'd go with BH PNP, he's got it all fresh in his mind and has got them the right way round. Whichever way they're numbered, the one with your address section is the front sheet. It only has, iirc, 8 or so lines for your goods, so you'll need to use the one with lots of lines as the continuation.
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:20 pm
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Biiiiink]"E" after those forms just means English version, i.e. not French...but it does make it all confusing!

Thanks guys. That's really helpful. Its much clearer now.

I will go with Brian on this one. You recent experience is invaluable!! I will print this page to ensure I fill it all out correctly

Nerves makes one do crazy things.

Brian - You still haven't said how you got the lady at HRDC to process your SIN card with such speed
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:52 pm
Nova Scotian

The lady at HRSD, while going through our forms, asked if I needed it soon for work. I said yes.

She said it would be sent and I would hear within three weeks but she would send it priority. If I needed it in a hurry I could phone (she gave me a number, can't seem to find at the mo) in three days. If they had started the process a number would be issued and I could get a print off from the local HRSD for work etc.

I really wasn't too concerned to get it quick. I think (don't quote me) that if you get a good clerk, they can work "miracles". She started off a bit "off ish" (like a typical job centre/ employment officer. **No offence**) but after a short while we were having a good chat about the area I bought my house, where the kids were going to school and of course England.

We parted with a smile and a welcome to Canada!
Old Apr 14th 2005, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BH PNP
The lady at HRSD, while going through our forms, asked if I needed it soon for work. I said yes.

She said it would be sent and I would hear within three weeks but she would send it priority. If I needed it in a hurry I could phone (she gave me a number, can't seem to find at the mo) in three days. If they had started the process a number would be issued and I could get a print off from the local HRSD for work etc.

I really wasn't too concerned to get it quick. I think (don't quote me) that if you get a good clerk, they can work "miracles". She started off a bit "off ish" (like a typical job centre/ employment officer. **No offence**) but after a short while we were having a good chat about the area I bought my house, where the kids were going to school and of course England.

We parted with a smile and a welcome to Canada!
Thanks for that lovely insight man. Lots of smile and charm should do the trick