Landing and Declaration of Goods

Old Nov 24th 2017, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Landing and Declaration of Goods

I have a couple of quick questions that I can't find answers to on the wiki:

1. When filling out the landing card on the flight over you are asked whether you are bringing in goods over the exemption value. When considering the total, do you include the value of Goods To Follow or only Good Accompanying?

2. The above question is repeated; "Part B" for Visitors to Canada, and "Part C" for Residents of Canada. I assume I would respond with my answer in Part C?

3. Does it matter if your Goods To Follow arrive on a flight a couple of hours after you do? I was thinking about the possibility of hanging around the airport if they get in on a later flight and picking it all up before going home. Is there any reason why that's not a good idea?

4. I've booked a one-way flight but I've just read on the wiki this might be a problem as I'm not yet a PR. Has anyone had experience of this or know of airlines that will not board you unless you have a return flight? Or is it just a gamble at the airport?

5. When creating Goods Accompanying or Goods to Follow lists, do you need to use the official one (link below) or will printing off a spreadsheet work fine? I ask because the official document has a place for a signature and a stamp. If I print my own am I supposed to create spaces for these too?
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...es/bsf186a.pdf

Thanks!

Last edited by benbb; Nov 24th 2017 at 9:03 pm.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landing and Declaration of Goods

From your post I will assume you are not living in Canada and not a PR so on arrival and if having filled out the declaration card ( no need to fill one out if using a kiosk) you are classed as a visitor. You are a Part B.

The exemption for you is different to that of a Resident Of Canada ie your personal exemption doesn't include the allowances for being absent from Canada.

Make 2 x lists a spreadsheet list is ok and title them Goods In Possession ( those goods you physically are carrying) and List Of Goods To Follow.

I wouldn't risk spending hours at an airport waiting for the next plane what if its delayed or your good weren't put on it

As for the one way flight you are at the mercy of the airline but being polite and showing them your COPR and explaining that you are now moving to Canada.
Actually sometimes a return is cheaper than one way.
Old Nov 24th 2017, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, and yes let me make that clear: I am not yet a PR and have not yet landed. This will be the trip to activate the PR.
Old Nov 26th 2017, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Which airport are you planning on landing at in Canada? I ask coz some of them now have electronic customs kiosks rather than landing cards (incl Ottawa). Just might help if you know what to expect.

Participating airports here:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...k-bip-eng.html
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Which airport are you planning on landing at in Canada? I ask coz some of them now have electronic customs kiosks rather than landing cards (incl Ottawa). Just might help if you know what to expect.

Participating airports here:

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-v...k-bip-eng.html
Will be landing in Halifax, YHZ. Yes looks like they have the kiosks. Did you go through that? Is it any faster or better?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benbb
Will be landing in Halifax, YHZ. Yes looks like they have the kiosks. Did you go through that? Is it any faster or better?
Well having watched a number of travellers use them lets just say I have my own opinions.

1. They are not ATM's so don't expect any money back.
2. Dont choose French Language option if you cant read French.
3. Look at the pictures they are a clue as to how to scan your passport.
4. Read the questions carefully just dont answer NO if not sure.
5. Remember to take your passport back.
6. The small shelf is not for resting carry on baggage on.
7. Remember to take the ticket the kiosks prints when finished.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benbb
They are a bit flaky tbh! You can download an app to your phone, canborder. So you can complete the nonsense on the plan then scan your passports and the qr code it generates on the phone.

You can complete at one kiosk for all in your party. It will print out a receipt which you hand to the cbsa agent wgen asked, hold on to it until after you have your baggage and are heading to the exit, that is the cbsa agent that will take it.

Of course before that tell the first cbsa guy that you are landing to declare pr and he will send you along to a different line.