Landed as PR at Ottawa airport

Old Apr 16th 2017, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

MelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond reputeMelVan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Landed as PR at Ottawa airport

Congratulations @Hurlabrick. Everyone's landing story is helpful for those of us who will be doing it one day ourselves.
Old Apr 18th 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

bramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant futurebramallblade has a brilliant future

Congrats! When I landed at Toronto back in early Feb I had to prompt the guy to hand over my goods to declare form. I didn't have any goods to follow but had prepped this form anyway (thanks to you for providing me with the template) but he didn't have a scooby doo.

I had to ask him three times and finally he said 'Do you have anything to follow?' Once I had said that I didn't he just ushered me through and didn't look at either list.

Crazy. Anyway, been here nearly 2 and a half months now and I am loving it. Sounds like Ottawa was easier than Toronto.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:07 pm
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on landing! Thanks for documenting your experience, really useful!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Flying back to the UK today (sniff) to await PR card and hopefully sell the house, which is the last thing now holding is in the UK (been on the market now for 8 weeks).

Nearly managed to buy a house in Canada but got beat on price. No panic or hurry, we will just move in with our friends or get a serviced apartment next time.

Hoping for our final trip June 2017 onwards!!

Overdosed on quality hockey and beer on this trip though and some serious weight gain that i will address!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:02 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Flying back to the UK today (sniff) to await PR card and hopefully sell the house, which is the last thing now holding is in the UK (been on the market now for 8 weeks).

Nearly managed to buy a house in Canada but got beat on price. No panic or hurry, we will just move in with our friends or get a serviced apartment next time.

Hoping for our final trip June 2017 onwards!!

Overdosed on quality hockey and beer on this trip though and some serious weight gain that i will address!
This whole thing made me smile.

Is the real estate market in Ottawa as ridiculous as Toronto? It will be interesting to see if any of the hotness from Toronto migrates towards Ottawa as Ottawa (and region) was not included in the new foreign buyers tax rules announced by the government yesterday... watch this space!

Glad you had a great trip!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
This whole thing made me smile.

Is the real estate market in Ottawa as ridiculous as Toronto? It will be interesting to see if any of the hotness from Toronto migrates towards Ottawa as Ottawa (and region) was not included in the new foreign buyers tax rules announced by the government yesterday... watch this space!

Glad you had a great trip!
No, nowhere near as hot. Properly priced properties sell quickly and overpriced or poorly maintained properties stick. Owners do seem to have an inflated view of the value of their properties though. They seem to price them as though they were 'perfect' when in fact they need new roof, new windows, new furnace, a couple of foundation cracks etc. We are shocked at how poorly maintained in general the fabric of the house is.

Hey ho. Next time.....

PS enjoying the GBP boost in FOREX though. Will be hitting transferwise in the next few days

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Apr 21st 2017 at 2:11 pm.