Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Job hunting - trying to get it straight in my head!

Job hunting - trying to get it straight in my head!

Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:22 am
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all
Default Job hunting - trying to get it straight in my head!

Hi all

I've had a look in the Wiki and can't quite find what I want - so I'm hoping that you can help me out here!
(Alternatively, if there's a simple flow chart somewhere, can you let me have a link?)

Quick situation:
  • My partner & I want to move to Ontario next year.
  • My partner gets enough FSW points to be able to open an EE profile. I don't have a degree so fall short. His degree has been certified by WES as equivalent to a Canadian Batchelors.
  • Our CRS is low (346) so we're unlikely to be in the selection any time soon.
  • We're therefore looking at the job market route - temporary work permit which we would use to get into the country and then apply once we've got 6months experience to turn into PR.
  • I appreciate that a qualifying job offer needs a positive LMIA.

Where I'm really struggling is the sequence of job hunting things and, for some reason, can't seem to get it straight in my head (which leaves me feeling very dense)...

Question 1:

Is there anywhere which advertises 'hard to fill' job roles which already have a positive LMIA attached to them? (I work in marketing communications/business growth strategy and my partner has a range of experience in retail, Business To Business finance and even front of house food service manager in a small start up restaurant)
Job Bank has sent through an email this morning with lots of roles at Tim Hortons (for example) and doesn't say anything about LMIA on the roles. And I can't really see why the jobs sent through couldn't be done by a Canadian if I'm honest???

Question 2:
Assuming that the above doesn't exist, it's time to really hit the networks, job advert boards etc etc.
I currently have 60 FSW points as I don't have a degree. If I get a job offer, that should put me at 70. If my partner gets one, he'll be at 81. So I'm assuming that this is all fine to then apply for a Temporary Work Permit (as soon as we have the LMIA and letter of appointment/contract)?

Question 3:
Let's suppose that I find a job on a job board and apply for it (only using myself as the example as I trail on points). They like me and want to offer me the job. Am I right in thinking that the next stages are:
  • Company applies for LMIA and is granted a positive outcome
  • Company gives me LMIA and letter of appointment.
  • I open up TWP application
  • Government thinks about TWP application and eventually grants it
  • With LMIA, letter of appointment and granted TWP, I apply for Social Security Number
  • Social security number is granted.
  • I formally accept job offer and am able to start working
  • Move to Toronto and all's fabulous from there on out...

(OK I know a couple of points there may sound a bit flippant, but you get the positive gist!)

If that's correct, I'll probably start to do cartwheels as it means that I've understood it right (finally).

Question 4:
Assuming that the above is correct, we'll come to Canada on a TWP - in my head this is valid for 2 years?
Once in the country and with some work experience, we'll apply for PR. And with the in-country experience, I'm thinking that we'll get lots of lovely points for the EE system which should make the PR process correct.
Am I right?

I think that's it, for now. Assuming everything above is correct, we'll tell employers that we're looking to come to the country at the time of first contact so that's all open & above board - hopefully this won't count against us...

Thank you, lovely people. I'll try to keep my head straight once it's all untangled!
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job hunting - trying to get it straight in my head!

1. Nope, the LMIA will be applied for specifically for you (or your partner), blanket LMIA's are ludicrously rare and wouldn't be applicable to either of your jobs IMO.

2. You're confusing a PR app with a Temp Work Permit again! There is no requirement for you to be eligible as a FSW to apply for a work permit, they're two completely different visa routes. Somebody could not be eligible for PR at all, but they could still get a work permit. So forget your FSW scores in relation to work permits, the two have no bearing on each other at all.

3. Yep, that's it. One minor exception, if you are a UK citizen then you don't need to apply for your TWP online or via a visa office, you can simply get it at the airport when you arrive. And you can pretty much forget applying via job websites, assume you've read the job hunting section of the Wiki? If so, you'll know that you could be job hunting for years that way and not get anywhere. Get on a plane and knock on doors!! Or at the very least pick up the phone, don't just sit back and apply for stuff online.

4. Could be valid for anywhere between 6 months and 3 years, and you won't know until it's granted. 2 years is about the norm though. And yes, you'd then get extra points.

HTH.
Old Nov 27th 2017, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

Cornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to allCornfedapache is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

3. Yep, that's it. One minor exception, if you are a UK citizen then you don't need to apply for your TWP online or via a visa office, you can simply get it at the airport when you arrive. And you can pretty much forget applying via job websites, assume you've read the job hunting section of the Wiki? If so, you'll know that you could be job hunting for years that way and not get anywhere. Get on a plane and knock on doors!! Or at the very least pick up the phone, don't just sit back and apply for stuff online.

HTH.
Ah-ha - what would I do without you?!

Interesting re the TWP info above - when would we apply for the SIN in that case? Once we've got to the airport and told the immigration folk that we're there to work?
Presumably we would give the airport folk copies of the LMIA and job offer documents - would we also need the proof of funds and medicals at this stage (or are they bypassed if you've got a LMIA job offer?)
(Yes, I had seen the job hunting section - I'm going to be reaching out to my existing network over in Canada now that I'm getting it all straight... Job boards in the UK haven't really worked for either of us in the last decade or so anyway!)

Oh, one other Q - if one of us gets a job first, can we both arrive on the same plane - and, if so, does the other just apply for jobs once in the country to go down the TWP route?
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:14 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
Interesting re the TWP info above - when would we apply for the SIN in that case? Once we've got to the airport and told the immigration folk that we're there to work?
You can't apply for your SIN from outside Canada anyway, so it would be the same process as if you applied for the TWP from a visa office. Social Insurance Number-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Originally Posted by Cornfedapache
Presumably we would give the airport folk copies of the LMIA and job offer documents - would we also need the proof of funds and medicals at this stage (or are they bypassed if you've got a LMIA job offer?)
You're confusing the two different processes again! There's no proof of funds or medical required for a TWP, the only caveat being that a medical can be required if you are working in certain fields i.e. healthcare or with children, but that doesn't apply to you. All of the details of what you'd need are in the Wiki - TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

And yes, you can both arrive together. Assuming that the TWP holder is in a skilled job, the other would get the spousal open work permit for the same duration (I'm assuming that you're common-law spouses i.e. have lived together for a year or more?).

HTH, happy hunting!
Old Nov 27th 2017, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

You can't apply for your SIN from outside Canada anyway, so it would be the same process as if you applied for the TWP from a visa office. Social Insurance Number-Canada : British Expat Wiki

You're confusing the two different processes again! There's no proof of funds or medical required for a TWP, the only caveat being that a medical can be required if you are working in certain fields i.e. healthcare or with children, but that doesn't apply to you. All of the details of what you'd need are in the Wiki - TWP : Where to apply-Canada : British Expat Wiki

And yes, you can both arrive together. Assuming that the TWP holder is in a skilled job, the other would get the spousal open work permit for the same duration (I'm assuming that you're common-law spouses i.e. have lived together for a year or more?).

HTH, happy hunting!
You are 110% marvellous - thank you

I think that it's all straight in my head now - I really appreciate your help, as always
Old Nov 27th 2017, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

HTH, happy hunting!
To add to Chrsitmas' great post, if you went the temporary work permit route and then worked in Canada for a year in a skilled NOC code you would then be able to apply for PR via CEC and not FSW. As a result you would not need to worry about FSW points at all only the CRS ones. Also CEC applicants are exempt from proof of funds.
Old Nov 29th 2017, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
To add to Chrsitmas' great post, if you went the temporary work permit route and then worked in Canada for a year in a skilled NOC code you would then be able to apply for PR via CEC and not FSW. As a result you would not need to worry about FSW points at all only the CRS ones. Also CEC applicants are exempt from proof of funds.
Awesome - thank you!