Investigating a future in Canada

Old Nov 25th 2014, 3:53 pm
Just Joined

a.d.murphy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investigating a future in Canada

Hello Everyone,

I'm currently in the process of investigating a move to Canada, preferably to somewhere in BC. Currently I'm aiming at Vancouver as my final destination. My mum also would like to come across with me as she's keen on settling in Cranbrook BC.

I am a 25 year old man who currently is working in the IT field as an IT/AV Technician at a secondary school, but have been working in the field since the age of 16 starting out with an apprenticeship as an "ICT Practitioner" at level 2. My wealth of experience from the many years that I have been working far exceeds the qualifications I have on paper, so I'm hoping that I will be able to use that to my advantage.

From the information I have read so far from this website, because I work in the field of IT, if I have interpreted it correctly it should be fairly easy to be able to apply for permanent residency for myself (my mum has a source of money she can use to help me get started but ideally I'd like to go out with a job secured). I already know I need to get my qualifications I already had converted so they can be recognised.

I also have family that live in Kimberly BC already as well so I don't know if that is likely to go in my favour.

What I'd like to know is:

- Is what I read and how I interpreted it correct?
- What kind of time scale I'd be looking at if I have?
- How easy would it be to bring my mother and/or other members of family with me?
- Is there anything else I should be investigating to make this move happen?

Hope you can help?

Thank you

Andy
Old Nov 25th 2014, 4:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Investigating a future in Canada

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Originally Posted by a.d.murphy
My wealth of experience from the many years that I have been working far exceeds the qualifications I have on paper, so I'm hoping that I will be able to use that to my advantage.
Don't be surprised if you can't, there's an awful lot of emphasis put on formal qualifications in Canada, and not as much on non-Canadian work experience!

From the information I have read so far from this website, because I work in the field of IT, if I have interpreted it correctly it should be fairly easy to be able to apply for permanent residency for myself
Not sure which visa route you're currently looking at? But do be aware that the whole system will be changing from January onwards to an 'Expression of Interest' one. You can read more about that on the CIC website or the immi section of the forum here, although nobody knows the details yet.

I also have family that live in Kimberly BC already as well so I don't know if that is likely to go in my favour.
Depends on the family members and the visa route - if you were to apply as a FSW (if you have enough points, which I'm not sure about if you don't have a degree?), then at the moment they'd potentially get you an extra 5 points if they're close enough relatives.

- Is what I read and how I interpreted it correct?
Without knowing what visa route you're talking about and a lot more info about you, I'm afraid we can't tell you if you're correct or not! Only you will know if you're eligible for whichever one you're thinking of.

- What kind of time scale I'd be looking at if I have?
Again, without knowing the visa route nobody can tell you, but you can check the processing times on the CIC website.

- How easy would it be to bring my mother and/or other members of family with me?
You can't take your mother I'm afraid, so she'd need to qualify for a visa on her own merits. The only family members that you can put as dependents on your own visa application are a spouse and/or dependent children, no further relatives.

The only thing you could do is wait until you become a Permanent Resident of Canada, then wait again until you've got the 3 years of required income from Canadian sources, and then sponsor her for PR herself. Current processing times for parental sponsorship are a few years, so that's a long term plan - think at least 5 years from becoming a PR yourself.

- Is there anything else I should be investigating to make this move happen?
The IEC visa. Your best option for a quick and easy move, although it may not necessarily lead to you being able to stay permanently.

HTH a bit, best of luck.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 10:48 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You can't take your mother I'm afraid, so she'd need to qualify for a visa on her own merits. The only family members that you can put as dependents on your own visa application are a spouse and/or dependent children, no further relatives.
The only exception being if a PR or Canadian has no other living relatives in Canada, one can sponsor a family member. Family members get you points to get in the country, but bugger up sponsoring a family member to immigrate.
Old Nov 25th 2014, 11:22 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have a Bachelors in Computer Science you're going to struggle for IT roles in Vancouver and it will be hard for companies to sponsor you as they will have to prove they can't find a Canadian to do the job.

As suggested I would look at the IEC route, I know a lot of people that came out on a visa and in some cases found companies that liked them so much they put in the time to help them with staying.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 6:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
The only exception being if a PR or Canadian has no other living relatives in Canada, one can sponsor a family member. Family members get you points to get in the country, but bugger up sponsoring a family member to immigrate.
Confused.com! How is that an exception to the section of my post that you've quoted? He couldn't put his mother on his visa application, and I did say that he could sponsor her once he's a PR and has the required amount of years income from Canadian sources.

Or did you mean to quote the OP?