Living and working in Vancouver ?

Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

adec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and working in Vancouver ?

I'm not sure where to start here, or the best way of doing it.

I'm a British citizen, so I understand I can come to Canada without a visa as such for up to 6 mths. Hopefully be able to rent an apartment.

The work part is tricky. I'll be working remotely for a US company, and would be allowed to work from anywhere, hence I was looking at Vancouver.

Working remotely for a US company.. would I need a work visa for Canada ? I'd expect to pay taxes in Canada based on located there.. but if I didn't have a work visa.. then not sure I could.. I do have a friend who is now a Canadian citizen.. so not sure if he could sponsor in any way..

I'm trying to do this in the correct way all round.. but the Canadian Gov't website can get confusing.. Can anyone point me to the right starting point ?

thanks!
Old Feb 16th 2018, 3:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and working in Vancouver ?

Far too many things to consider to give you a simple answer.

1. Correct no visa to enter but you need to apply for eTA

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...m_campaign=eta

2. Yes that type of work doesn't need a work permit.
3. As for renting an apartment yes its doable month to month but a lot have a minimum 12 month lease and might require a month in advance plus a damage deposit.
4. As for paying taxes as you are not a resident of Canada so Im not going to 100% say you wouldn't pay no income tax.
5. How long do you expect to stay in Vancouver is it just a 6 months and thats it or well if I like it then stay longer and there is NO guarantee you would be allowed the 6 months or even granted entry at all.

More info required and your intentions.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

adec is an unknown quantity at this point

Ideally I'd like to stay longer than 6mths, I'd still be working for the US company remotely, so not too sure what type of visa/residency to try for.

The apartment rental wouldn't be an issue, the issue again is the fact I can only stay there for 6mths atm. Flying down to Santa Ana, CA (where I was living for the last 6 years on an L1 visa) after 5 mths, then back again on an eTA doesn't sound the right way to go about this.

Thats one of the reasons I was looking at Vancouver, ease of travel to Santa Ana, CA .. plus always loved Canada since a child.. my Great Uncle was a cowboy at the Duke of Portland Ranch in the 1920s.. which was in Nicola Valley.. not far from Vancouver.. !

Intention would be ideally to live there for as long as possible, if it worked out, no thoughts on leaving...
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

So not being a Canadian citizen then the only way this becomes doable without too much hassle is by looking at if you qualify to apply as a permanent resident and send in an application. There are over 50 routes to obtain PR and as you are choosing Vancouver then some can be discounted.

Start here for a basic overview
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...te-canada.html

Then you can look at the BC PNP
https://www.welcomebc.ca/immigrate-t...ominee-program

Or just marry a Canadian
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:50 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adec
I'd expect to pay taxes in Canada based on located there.. but if I didn't have a work visa.. then not sure I could.. I do have a friend who is now a Canadian citizen.. so not sure if he could sponsor in any way..
From what you describe, you would be deemed a tax resident as a visitor and need a TIN to report income.

You friend cannot sponsor you.

Another issue, every time you leave Canada, you could be refused entry when trying to get back in. I believe every time you come back in a new visitor entry is processed.

Visitor entry is for visitors, not people wanting to live in Canada and trying to circumvent immigration. If immigration get a sniff you are living here, they may not let you in. CRA and CIC do communicate between themselves.

The 'no thoughts of leaving' is a big issue trying to get in as a visitor.