Immigration Query - Advice Needed

Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

carlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nice
Default Immigration Query - Advice Needed

Hello All,

I could really use some help about the best possible option for us (if there is one!). Throughout our research we have read/heard conflicting stories about immigrating to Canada so with your help I'd like to seperate fact from ficition.

Both my wife and I are currently employed in bakery and have been there for the past two years. Within the bakery we do various tasks, but our "official" title is that of a Production Operative.

Now as I understand it that rules us out of FSW Cat.1 as our job is not on the NOC list, so as I understand it we would need arranged employment to be granted a work permit.

If we were able to get arranged employment with a LMO we could then apply for a TWP. Once working in Canada we were then looking at turning it into FSW Cat.2, but for Cat.2 does the job still have to be on the list?.

In a nutshell we are unsure of the best route for us and, whilst I don't want to sound negative here, it's at the forefront of my mind that because we have low skilled jobs whether we could be a permanent fixture of Canada at all. Age is also really not on our side as I'm 38 and my wife is 47.

Any advice of the best course of action for us would be most appreciated.

Cheers,

Carl
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Query - Advice Needed

Do you or your wife have any further education? Could possibly be relevant.
My wife and I are waiting on an LMO decision at the moment .
I am a food process operator, 14 years at Nestle UK.
From LMO to TWP to PNP hopefully.

Cheers
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

..same question here: if you say you worked in the bakery for 2 years..what did you do before? Education and experience would be very important to know about to see the whole picture.

Think also about the different Provincial Nominee Programs. They can be a good alternative, as different conditions apply.

Do you have an idea/preference where you would like to go? Any friends or maybe even relatives already in Canada? Ever visited Canada yet?

lol I for sure can still think of more questions...but this will do for the moment

Lower skills is tougher but not impossible.

cheers
Ilse
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

carlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nicecarlrich is just really nice

Thanks for the replies.

At school whilst I did pass my exams the grades were not very good. As for further education I spent a year on a Youth Training Scheme (YTS for short), hopefully some fellow Brits might remember them. It was horrid, basically a form of cheap labour. After that I spent a year at college in which I wasn't studying anything in particular it was just a general college type course.

My wife finished school without taking her exams and did one year on a animal care course, but sadly had to leave due to circumstanaces at home.

Work wise I've been in the working world for about 20 years mostly employed in the factory and hygiene enviroment, with a bit of shop and office work as well. I do have a little team leader experience as well from working in a tea factory.

My wife as been in the working world for about 30 years and again in the factory and hygiene enviroment. She has had some supervisory experience from her days when employed as a Hygiene Supervisor.

We do have a close friend who lives in Quebec and stayed there for a week last year. The second week was spent in Toronto (I wanted to visit the CN Tower) and Niagara Falls.

We are looking at living/working in Eastern Ontario as geographically it suits us.

Anything else, just ask!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Carlrich,

Don't know if you have looked at Manitoba but we took ourselves over there last August for a couple of weeks. I had 9 meetings with potential employers and had a much better response than I could have hoped for. I came home with a job offer for myself and my wife and a handful of "when you get over here, then give us a call". I could be wrong but I think Manitoba has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada so they appear to be quite keen to get there hands on pro active, experienced people.
The key to it all though is to get over there and meet face to face.
If you need any more info then let me know.

Good luck
Old Feb 27th 2011, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

manitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of lightmanitobain is a glorious beacon of light

Don't know if Ontario is the best route, you would have to read up on their PNP to find out.

Otherwise can only nod and agree to GC44 posts. If you are flexible and don't really mind where you will be working for a start, lot is possible in Manitoba.

Labor Market Opinions are somewhat tough to come by, which your future Employer need to apply to, but not impossible. Strategic stream might be possible, but only if Manitoba is something for you and you start working on community/regional connections.

cheers
Ilse
Old Feb 27th 2011, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

jimmy8 is an unknown quantity at this point

there is one!). Throughout our research we have read/heard conflicting stories about immigrating to Canada so with your help I'd like to seperate fact from ficition.

Both my wife and I are currently employed in bakery and have been there for the past two years. Within the bakery we do various tasks, but our "official" title is that of a Production

If we were able to get arranged employment with a LMO we could then apply for a TWP. Once working in Canada we were then looking at turning it into FSW Cat.2, but for Cat.2 does the job still have to be on the list?.

In a nutshell we are unsure of the best route for us and, whilst I don't want to sound negative here, it's at the forefront of my mind that because we have low skilled jobs whether we could be a permanent fixture of Canada at all. Age is also really not on our side as I'm 38 and my wife is 47.

Any advice of the best course of action for us would be most appreciated.

Cheers,
Carl---Your best bet is to link up with someone who is trying to sell their bakery and let them carrythe business while you earn equity allowing you to eventually buy them out![Vendor take back mortgage]You would be a shareholder and have NO roblems gaining PR--Jimmy8
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:17 am
Just Joined

Ideally we would like to move to Eastern Ontario, so we shall use that as a starting point for now and see what happens.

Going back to my question in the original post - For FSW Cat.2 does the arranged job still have to be on the NOC list?.

Cheers,

Carl
Old Feb 28th 2011, 9:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlrich
Ideally we would like to move to Eastern Ontario, so we shall use that as a starting point for now and see what happens.

Going back to my question in the original post - For FSW Cat.2 does the arranged job still have to be on the NOC list?.

Cheers,

Carl
Nope, it's either a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations (category 1) OR a job offer approved by HRSDC (category 2), not both.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

Rossman is an unknown quantity at this point

GC44
Don't know if you have looked at Manitoba but we took ourselves over there last August for a couple of weeks. I had 9 meetings with potential employers and had a much better response than I could have hoped for. I came home with a job offer for myself and my wife and a handful of "when you get over here, then give us a call". I could be wrong but I think Manitoba has the lowest unemployment rate in Canada so they appear to be quite keen to get there hands on pro active, experienced people.
The key to it all though is to get over there and meet face to face.
If you need any more info then let me know.
Hi GC44
First of all ,good luck with your LOM application, I had read some of your old posts. Why did not you apply under MPNP during your visit ? within one of your posts you mentioned that you had interview, so why did you prefer work permit route over that PNP route ?
cheers
Old Feb 28th 2011, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Nope, it's either a job on the list of 29 eligible occupations (category 1) OR a job offer approved by HRSDC (category 2), not both.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra...tions.asp#list

Thank you!

*wonders why I never saw that myself*. Maybe I should have gone to Specsavers!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rossman
Hi GC44
First of all ,good luck with your LOM application, I had read some of your old posts. Why did not you apply under MPNP during your visit ? within one of your posts you mentioned that you had interview, so why did you prefer work permit route over that PNP route ?
cheers
Time really. Our new employer (LMO willing) wants us there yesterday, both me and my wife and we want to get there yesterday.

We were originally looking at going down the Manitoba Strategic Initiative route
but we fell short on one of the 7 criteria. So the LMO route proved the fastest alternative. From our TWP we will apply for MPNP. At the end of the day it's getting there that matters.

By the way, welcome to britishexpats.