Immigration Lawyer or Not?

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:11 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

tsc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Immigration Lawyer or Not?

Hi - I am a Canadian with a British husband (living outside Canada) and we plan to move back to Vancouver Island, Canada so I will need to apply for my husband the the Spousal Sponsorship.

I have spoken with 3 lawyers in Canada and have been told prices from $1500, $2500 and $4500 all plus government fees.

Can anyone please tell me - is it really simple to go the DIY route?

I want to start the process but am in two minds as to going the lawyer or DIY route.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Thanks
TSC
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all
Default Re: Immigration Lawyer or Not?

Originally Posted by tsc
Hi - I am a Canadian with a British husband (living outside Canada) and we plan to move back to Vancouver Island, Canada so I will need to apply for my husband the the Spousal Sponsorship.

I have spoken with 3 lawyers in Canada and have been told prices from $1500, $2500 and $4500 all plus government fees.

I want to start the process but am in two minds as to going the lawyer or DIY route.

Thanks
TSC
Most of us on here have gone the DIY route. It really isn't too bad and you can get all the help you need on this forum. There is a lot of paperwork to fill out and it all looks rather daunting for a start, but as long as you read the guides carefully and ask anything on here then you should be fine.

Having gone DIY myself I really can't say what the lawyer route is like. However I do know that some people on here have had some problems with it and it generally seems to take longer than the DIY route too. And, as you know, expensive too!

It took us a good couple of weeks to get the paperwork sorted. But the first thing you need to do before starting the form filling is book up your husband's medical and get his police certificates ordered. You need to do these before you send off the forms.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:28 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tsc

Thanks
TSC

Yeah I agree with Cowgirl, there are a many people on here who have gone the DIY route...I am currently in the middle of slowy filling out all the forms myself.

And at the end of the day, lawyers are only human and there is always the possibility that they could make a mistake somewhere just as much as you or I.

Whilst all the paperwork looks daunting at first sight, much of it is very straightforward, however, there are still some questions which may be confusing and that's where good old BE comes in extremely handy. It has helped me and many others out hugely so just remember that if you do decide to do the DIY route....don't be afraid of asking a question on here if you're unsure of anything.

Good luck
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

sorthumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by leggy969
Yeah I agree with Cowgirl, there are a many people on here who have gone the DIY route...I am currently in the middle of slowy filling out all the forms myself.

And at the end of the day, lawyers are only human and there is always the possibility that they could make a mistake somewhere just as much as you or I.

Whilst all the paperwork looks daunting at first sight, much of it is very straightforward, however, there are still some questions which may be confusing and that's where good old BE comes in extremely handy. It has helped me and many others out hugely so just remember that if you do decide to do the DIY route....don't be afraid of asking a question on here if you're unsure of anything.

Good luck
Whats a good old BE
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

Rossman is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, they are experienced with paperwork, forms. however Canada immigration prefers ( just my feeling ) when you do everything by yourself , seems they do not like the headache from lawyers . Personally I applied first for visitor visa by myself and then PNP application by myself , all worked well. You need to read , re-read , read again forms and review applications hundred times to make sure it is correct , if you forget one signature the application will be returned back. My suugesation you need someone to guide you that might be this forum or lawyer but ask the lawyer not put his name on the application just guide you by information.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:20 pm
Glory glory Man Utd.....

leggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud ofleggy969 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sorthumb
Whats a good old BE

err....see top left of this web-page!

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Cowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to allCowgirl is a name known to all

Originally Posted by leggy969
err....see top left of this web-page!

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 12:23 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Hi everyone - thanks so much for your comments.

I am going to start the DIY route and hope that nobody minds when I ask inane questions on this forum!

Looking forward to your help if I need it!

Thanks
TSC
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:05 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Hi - ok here I am with the first question - does anyone know if it is best to send the application directly to the Canadian High Commission in London, UK or to send it to Missisauga, Ontario?

I live in the Cayman Islands and it says that I should send it to the High Commission dealing with Cayman but that is the Kingston, Jamaica High Commission and I have been advised that processing times there are really long.

Any comments please?

Thanks
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tsc
Hi - ok here I am with the first question - does anyone know if it is best to send the application directly to the Canadian High Commission in London, UK or to send it to Missisauga, Ontario?

I live in the Cayman Islands and it says that I should send it to the High Commission dealing with Cayman but that is the Kingston, Jamaica High Commission and I have been advised that processing times there are really long.

Any comments please?

Thanks
Your entire Application package has to be sent to Mississauga first. Once you are approved as a Sponsor, Mississauga then forward to application to whatever visa office you'll be using - usually people choose the one nearest to them.

Not sure about your second question to be honest. I know that people living in Canada have applied outland through the London office, so maybe you would be able to as well.

No worries though... someone will be along to tell you for sure!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:31 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Thanks Cowgirl - I will wait to see who else has some comments! Just want to get on with it now!
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Glam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really niceGlam is just really nice

Originally Posted by tsc

Thanks
TSC
DIY, there's tons of help on here. and it'll save you a packet!!

Gav
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 8:33 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Thanks Gav - I have started looking at the forms and I have to say it is kind of daunting!

Has anyone else on this Forum done the Spousal sponsorship thing that I could chat with?

I have a bunch of questions but don't want to bore everyone with them - so please let me know if you can help.

Thanks
TSC
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tsc
Thanks Gav - I have started looking at the forms and I have to say it is kind of daunting!

Has anyone else on this Forum done the Spousal sponsorship thing that I could chat with?

I have a bunch of questions but don't want to bore everyone with them - so please let me know if you can help.

Thanks
TSC
Don't worry just fire away and between us all I'm sure you'll find answers! It's best to have any questions posted on the forum so that other folk that are wondering the same things can get help too
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 9:33 pm
tsc
Forum Regular

Hey Cowgirl - is that timeline at the bottom your message your actual application process?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.