Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I'm a Canadian Citizen but I'm worried my Partner won't be able to come with me

I'm a Canadian Citizen but I'm worried my Partner won't be able to come with me

Old Mar 17th 2018, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Gengal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm a Canadian Citizen but I'm worried my Partner won't be able to come with me

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so sorry if I've missed any rules-- feel free to correct me.
I figured I'd come here for some advice as all the legal documents I've been reading online are pretty idiot-proof so far.

My question is about whether it's likely my partner would be able to come with me to Canada. I'm a born-and-raised Canadian, but due to having a British mother have been back and forth to the UK all my life. I've met a lovely British man with whom I live, and we love to daydream about moving to Canada together.

The trouble is, as lovely as he is, I don't know of they'd take him. He's got a long-term illness, Crohns Disease, which requires constant medication and leaves him mostly unable to work when combined with his other health issues. At the moment he receives disability benefit here in England as they've deemed him unfit to work.

I, on the other hand, am a graduate and HR Professional working for the British Civil Service, with fairly good basic French and valid citizenship. I don't think my qualifications would transfer over (CIPD) but I'd be okay taking a step or two back in my career and resitting exams etc.

Would they take him, maybe if I were to sponsor him? And if so, would he be covered by medical? What things would or would he not be entitled to and for how long? I've read that sponsorships are valid for 3 to 10 years, which is quite a big range. Would he be able to apply for Permanent Residency? We've been together a fair time and have talked about marriage a couple times, would being married make the process easier?

At the moment we've sort of lost hope, as we're concerned they wouldn't take him, or if they did that he'd be a significant financial burden on me, so any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a Canadian Citizen but I'm worried my Partner won't be able to come with me

Originally Posted by Gengal
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so sorry if I've missed any rules-- feel free to correct me.
I figured I'd come here for some advice as all the legal documents I've been reading online are pretty idiot-proof so far.

My question is about whether it's likely my partner would be able to come with me to Canada. I'm a born-and-raised Canadian, but due to having a British mother have been back and forth to the UK all my life. I've met a lovely British man with whom I live, and we love to daydream about moving to Canada together.

The trouble is, as lovely as he is, I don't know of they'd take him. He's got a long-term illness, Crohns Disease, which requires constant medication and leaves him mostly unable to work when combined with his other health issues. At the moment he receives disability benefit here in England as they've deemed him unfit to work.

I, on the other hand, am a graduate and HR Professional working for the British Civil Service, with fairly good basic French and valid citizenship. I don't think my qualifications would transfer over (CIPD) but I'd be okay taking a step or two back in my career and resitting exams etc.

Would they take him, maybe if I were to sponsor him? And if so, would he be covered by medical? What things would or would he not be entitled to and for how long? I've read that sponsorships are valid for 3 to 10 years, which is quite a big range. Would he be able to apply for Permanent Residency? We've been together a fair time and have talked about marriage a couple times, would being married make the process easier?

At the moment we've sort of lost hope, as we're concerned they wouldn't take him, or if they did that he'd be a significant financial burden on me, so any advice would be hugely appreciated.
Spousal sponsorship is exempt from 'excessive medical demands'. Official source here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...xemptions.html

As you are Canadian, you can sponsor your partner under 'spousal sponsorship'. Check out the invaluable wiki pages on this site here:

Spousal Sponsorship-Canada/FAQ - New Application Forms : British Expat Wiki

You can sponsor your partner as 'common law' of you have enough 'proof' (again, refer to the wiki link on the sort of things you need to provide).

Would it be easier if you were married? Yes - slightly. But if you have enough common law proof, you will be fine, especially if you have been together for a few years and can demonstrate this.

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Mar 17th 2018 at 11:08 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 11:14 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm a Canadian Citizen but I'm worried my Partner won't be able to come with me

Spousal sponsorship is exempt from 'excessive medical demands
So it might all be straightforward enough then.

But you'd either need great health benefits with your employer covering him too because prescriptions are "full price" otherwise and that's expensive.

Do a couple of searches on the internet for the meds to see if A) they're approved and B) how much. Remicade/Infliximab, for example can be a few thousand $$ a session.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 11:32 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gengal
Look into the cost of any medical care that is not covered by the provincial plan and wait times. Also hard to get a family doctor in many locations, so reliance would be on a walk in, with associated waits and patient limits. The one in Walmart near us takes 20 patients a day and that quota is usually filled within 90 minutes.

He may qualify for disability payments, but the threshold is pretty high and the payments not so high.

Canada is not a great place to be long term sick or disabled. If one starts out OK and gets sick later in life, that's the way it goes I guess. If someone is already sick, I would do lots of research before making the move. Costs of care and income potential.

To get EI sick payments, one has to be working, met the qualifying hours and it is only for 15 weeks max.

The sponsor is financially responsible for the sponsored person for 10 years I believe. Which would include covering any welfare payments, not sure about disability payments. In BC provincial disability is a welfare payment. Provincially covered medical costs are I believe excluded from this.

Supporting someone who cannot work much can be quite a substantial financial commitment. Come to Canada for a few weeks and look into what is available and what it would cost you.

Last edited by Aviator; Mar 17th 2018 at 11:38 pm.
Old Mar 17th 2018, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have to say that we were prepared to use walk-ins, but found most of them were closing or closed and had no trouble at all getting registered with a Canadian GP locally (south Ottawa).

I am sure it varies by location, just my own experience around here.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 12:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I have to say that we were prepared to use walk-ins, but found most of them were closing or closed and had no trouble at all getting registered with a Canadian GP locally (south Ottawa).

I am sure it varies by location, just my own experience around here.
In BC, a lot of folks have to use walk ins. Most family docs are not taking new patients.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 12:48 am
Forum Regular

Linotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond reputeLinotype has a reputation beyond repute

Can only speak to the situation here in Alberta.
I also have crohn's disease.
I have taken many different drugs (humira, remicade, imuran).
Alberta Blue Cross Non-Group coverage is a government-funded plan that covers such drugs. Premiums are $118/mo. for family.

Non-Group coverage benefit: Alberta Health website

When I was taking remicade the drug company paid my monthly premium.

Alberta Health Care is premium free and available on arrival.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...ance-plan.html

The disability payment here is based on your CPP contributions.
Average: $954.30. Maximum: $1,335.83.

The situation regarding drug and health coverage seems to differ across Canada.

Last edited by Linotype; Mar 18th 2018 at 12:55 am.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 2:03 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linotype
When I was taking remicade the drug company paid my monthly premium

The situation regarding drug and health coverage seems to differ across Canada.
My wife was on remicade. $7000 every 6 weeks. The Province paid but it was really difficult to get.

More recently there's a new Blue Cross/Province system where premiums and co-pays are determined according to taxable income. Can still be very expensive though.
Old Mar 18th 2018, 5:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Linotype
Can only speak to the situation here in Alberta.
I also have crohn's disease.
I have taken many different drugs (humira, remicade, imuran).
Alberta Blue Cross Non-Group coverage is a government-funded plan that covers such drugs. Premiums are $118/mo. for family.
Not necessarily. Blue Cross requires a list of the drugs the insured have used in the recent past to calculate one's premiums. I have Type I diabetes and, as such, the amount I pay each month is considerably higher than $118.