IEC and spouse confusion.

Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

Onamish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC and spouse confusion.

Hi there,

My wife and I decided we'd like to try and move to Canada and to try it out, we both applied for IEC's in hopes of testing the waters. Since applying, I have reached the ripe old age of 30 and have subsequently become inelligible for an IEC.
My wife however has received her ITA and has applied. Now, if she gets her IEC, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what my options are as her spouse? I saw on the official site that I could apply for an open work permit but the plan is to move over there in January (if my wife gets her IEC). Would I be able to apply for an open work permit whilst in Canada? Or will it be a case of me trying for an Express Entry visa (I'm a plasterer by trade)?

Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC and spouse confusion.

What is your citizenship?
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Onamish
Hi there,

My wife and I decided we'd like to try and move to Canada and to try it out, we both applied for IEC's in hopes of testing the waters. Since applying, I have reached the ripe old age of 30 and have subsequently become inelligible for an IEC.
My wife however has received her ITA and has applied. Now, if she gets her IEC, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what my options are as her spouse? I saw on the official site that I could apply for an open work permit but the plan is to move over there in January (if my wife gets her IEC). Would I be able to apply for an open work permit whilst in Canada? Or will it be a case of me trying for an Express Entry visa (I'm a plasterer by trade)?

Any advice or insights would be appreciated.

Thanks.
If your wife gets a skilled job (in NOC categories 0, A, B) you can apply for a work permit off the back of being her spouse, for the duration of her IEC.

Are you a British citizen? If so, you can be drawn out of the IEC pool, and apply for a permit, until your 31st birthday. Most nationalities for IEC are 18-30 or 18-35 inclusive, very few become ineligible at 30.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

We're both British Citizens.

The current plan is to move to Kelowna, take a look around and find work as we're there.
So as it stands, I (we) have no knowledge of what would qualify as a job in those categories.
As I understood it, the system automatically removed me from the IEC pool on my birthday (25/9). Ironically, my wife recieved her ITA on the 26th.

Last edited by Onamish; Oct 7th 2017 at 10:38 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We're both British Citizens.

The current plan is to move to Kelowna, take a look around and find work as we're there.
So as it stands, I (we) have no knowledge of what would qualify as a job in those categories.
As I understood it, the system automatically removed me from the IEC pool on my birthday (25/9). Ironically, my wife recieved her ITA on the 26th.
Perhaps all the 2017 IEC places have now gone therefore you would have to apply again in 2018.

For a list of jobs that qualify in NOC 0, A or B check the NOC Matrix to see what occupations are in them

National Occupational Classification Matrix 2016

From the IEC website

This category is now closed. We will not send any more Invitations to Apply for a work permit for this category during the 2017 season. Check back in the fall of 2017 for information on the 2018 season.
your birthday (when you no longer meet the age requirements set out by the agreement in place for your country of citizenship),
we remove all profiles from the pool, or
your profile has been in the pool for 365 days.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, I'll take a look.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Alright, I've had a look and I fall into the B category of that matrix so am I correct in assuming that if my wife does get a visa, I'll be able to apply for a work visa with that?
My key concern then would be would I need to remain in the UK whilst that processes, or would I be able to apply for a work permit whilst in Canada on what would be a holiday basis until that work visa came in?

edit: If I would be unable to apply whilst in Canada, I guess I should start my Express Entry sooner rather than later huh?

Last edited by Onamish; Oct 8th 2017 at 12:27 am. Reason: after-thought
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Alright, I've had a look and I fall into the B category of that matrix so am I correct in assuming that if my wife does get a visa, I'll be able to apply for a work visa with that?
My key concern then would be would I need to remain in the UK whilst that processes, or would I be able to apply for a work permit whilst in Canada on what would be a holiday basis until that work visa came in?

edit: If I would be unable to apply whilst in Canada, I guess I should start my Express Entry sooner rather than later huh?
No. If your wife gets a job within skill categories 0, A, or B, you can apply for a work permit off hers. What the skill level your job would be in is irrelevant for a spousal work permit.

If you accompany your wife to Canada, and she gets one of those jobs, you can flagpole at the nearest border (so if you go to Kelowna, Osoyoos), with proof of her job, her permit, and your relationship, to be immediately issued an open work permit for you.

If you're thinking about Express Entry, have you looked at the points requirements? Do you have at least 67 FSW points (to enter the pool), and around 420+ CRS points (to make it likely you'll be drawn out of it)?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
No. If your wife gets a job within skill categories 0, A, or B, you can apply for a work permit off hers. What the skill level your job would be in is irrelevant for a spousal work permit.

If you accompany your wife to Canada, and she gets one of those jobs, you can flagpole at the nearest border (so if you go to Kelowna, Osoyoos), with proof of her job, her permit, and your relationship, to be immediately issued an open work permit for you.

If you're thinking about Express Entry, have you looked at the points requirements? Do you have at least 67 FSW points (to enter the pool), and around 420+ CRS points (to make it likely you'll be drawn out of it)?
I see. She is a hair stylist which I can't find a classification for on the matrix.
I've not looked fully into Express Entry yet as I was waiting to see what happened with the IEC's as they were the ideal scenario for us to see if we could live in Canada.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

I see. She is a hair stylist which I can't find a classification for on the matrix.
I've not looked fully into Express Entry yet as I was waiting to see what happened with the IEC's as they were the ideal scenario for us to see if we could live in Canada.
NOC 2016 - 6341 - Hairstylists and barbers - Unit group

Group 634 is in B, so if she gets a job doing that, you could get a spousal permit off it.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks.
It's under 31 for Brits i.e. you're eligible to be selected from the pool up until your 31st birthday (t's 18-30 inclusive). However, I think the 2017 season is closed so you'd have to wait for the 2018 season to open to make a profile.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
NOC 2016 - 6341 - Hairstylists and barbers - Unit group

Group 634 is in B, so if she gets a job doing that, you could get a spousal permit off it.
I see! Thank you for that, that's great news.

Originally Posted by Snowy560
It's under 31 for Brits i.e. you're eligible to be selected from the pool up until your 31st birthday (t's 18-30 inclusive). However, I think the 2017 season is closed so you'd have to wait for the 2018 season to open to make a profile.
Ah I see, I was simply unlucky then. Well my fingers are crossed my wife gets her IEC and I'll be able to get an open work visa.

Thank you all for the information and help.
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:35 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Is IEC age limit the same for every EU country?
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:38 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Is IEC age limit the same for every EU country?
Nope, it's 35 for some (i.e. Ireland).
Old Oct 10th 2017, 11:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah I see, I was simply unlucky then. Well my fingers are crossed my wife gets her IEC and I'll be able to get an open work visa.
Might be worth you trying to apply when the 2018 program opens, you could still both end up with IEC's which would be much easier for you than having to wait until she's got a job offer etc. If you apply as soon as it opens then you'd have a great chance of getting a visa in the draws.

Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.