IEC/PR

Old Nov 4th 2016, 12:51 am
Forum Regular

Greenroyd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC/PR

Hi any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2year Working/travel visa and have worked since I arrived in January having found a job. I feel like I'm pretty much done with working for the guy as he deflates my motivation-low pay, long weekend hours etc but I don't want to jeopardise my chances of extending my visa if possible. I'm seriously thinking about opening a small business which I'm hoping will grow but what do I need to get started and will this jeopardise my chances of PR which is what I'm working towards?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Old Nov 4th 2016, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC/PR

Originally Posted by Greenroyd
Hi any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2year Working/travel visa and have worked since I arrived in January having found a job. I feel like I'm pretty much done with working for the guy as he deflates my motivation-low pay, long weekend hours etc but I don't want to jeopardise my chances of extending my visa if possible. I'm seriously thinking about opening a small business which I'm hoping will grow but what do I need to get started and will this jeopardise my chances of PR which is what I'm working towards?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
1) you can't extend an IEC visa. You'll need to get another visa type upon 2 year expiry.

2) on a two year working visa you may work anywhere and for anyone (including yourself).

Going the route you've described may well affect you obtaining PR status as you may well not meet the criteria. You should do the PR qualifying test now to determine your eligibility.
Old Nov 4th 2016, 8:10 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
2) on a two year working visa you may work anywhere and for anyone (including yourself).
Just to clarify, this is only for an IEC - you can't do so on a 'normal' Temp Work Permit, which is tied to one employer.

OP, as plasticcanuck has said, you really need to look at your own visa options to work out what you might be eligible for re: PR if you leave your job. It's possible that you could still get PR, but have a look at the CIC website and then once you've done some research, feel free to come back and ask about the specific visa route you are thinking of.

There are over 50 routes to PR, so without knowing everything about you, we really can't say whether or not you would qualify without a job. As said above, you can't extend your IEC, so you'd need a LMIA if you wanted to get a normal TWP after your IEC finishes, or you'll need to have PR by that point to continue working. When does your IEC expire? Have you got enough time to find a new job before it does and perhaps work for somebody better that might sponsor you for PR too?

Also, I note that this is the second time you've posted this thread, please don't post duplicates. If people want to respond then they will and posting again won't make any difference.

Good luck.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Hi sorry I just couldn't see the thread that I had posted so wasn't sure it had gone through. Both myself and my girlfriend arrived jan 2016 she has a good job but it is only contract at the moment but the company are hoping to extend this into a permanent in January. We have taken our english tests on route to applying for PR as the first step but I'm not too sure what my next step should be. I have 2 options

1. Stick it out with my current employer working all kinds of hours for little reward knowing that if that's all I did when I came to Canada then i may Aswel have stayed in the UK

Or

2. Hope that my girlfriend gets a permanent contract and piggyback on that PR and do something that I want to do. I don't have a degree just a lot of sports coaching qualifications.

Anyone else been in a similar situation?

Thanks
Old Nov 6th 2016, 4:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, so lots of questions!

Do you and your gf live together and have you done so for over a year? What is your gf's visa status, is she on an IEC too? Do either of you actually qualify for PR now anyway - that's the first thing to double check! If so, under which visa route? If you are planning on the Express Entry route, then what do you score on the CRS?

Lots of questions I know, but it's just that if you're not eligible for PR in your current job anyway, then you might as well leave and find something else so that you could hopefully become eligible.

And we can try and help you figure things out if you can just answer some questions (including the one in my first response - when does your IEC expire?).
Old Nov 6th 2016, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for getting back to us. Our current IEC expires Jan 2018. Neither of us qualify as neither has an LMIA number as of yet but we would be looking at the route of express entry I think? Maybe there's a better option to go for? We have lived together for 5years so that helps in a way. She has a degree and HR manager experience which falls in category 0 but this was back in the UK and her degree wasnt in HR.Would this count out here even if she doesn't work in that field anymore?

Thanks
Old Nov 7th 2016, 1:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Greenroyd
Hi thanks for getting back to us. Our current IEC expires Jan 2018. Neither of us qualify as neither has an LMIA number as of yet but we would be looking at the route of express entry I think? Maybe there's a better option to go for? We have lived together for 5years so that helps in a way. She has a degree and HR manager experience which falls in category 0 but this was back in the UK and her degree wasnt in HR.Would this count out here even if she doesn't work in that field anymore?

Thanks
OK, so if one of you qualifies for PR, then you can go on the same application which is good.

For Express Entry, make sure you're eligible but the crucial thing is to see what you're both scoring on the CRS. Have a look at that and see what you are scoring , you'll need to assume some things i.e. maximum points for English test results, etc, but it will give you an idea at least. Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) - tool
Old Nov 8th 2016, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

Great, thanks for the help, as a couple we would be scoring 468? What's the norm?
Old Nov 8th 2016, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Cancel that as I have found the previous scores. I only put 468 as my girlfriend is on a contract at the moment so we are hoping that will be made permanent in the new year and that should then add a further 600 if she can get the LMIA to go with it. As much as my job falls into class O I'm not sure I can keep going with that one.