Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC with partner and kids leading to CEC?

IEC with partner and kids leading to CEC?

Old Aug 14th 2017, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

IrishGuyAbroad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC with partner and kids leading to CEC?

Hi all,

I am looking for some advice about coming to Canada on an IEC with partner and kids, either from someone who has done it, or someone who knows the rules a bit better than I do. I have read through the immigration site and done the Come to Canada wizard, but I am still not 100% sure where I stand.

To give some background. I am an Irish citizen and my partner is British, we have 2 kids, aged 4 and 1. I have spent a year in Canada already on a working holiday visa (it was 2011 so I am still eligible for another 2 year visa). We are currently living in Eastern Europe and have done the whole expat with kids thing for a few years now. We had always dreamed of settling in Canada long term and with the kids soon starting school, we think now would be a good time to make the move. Recently I have been told my job may not secure beyond next year due to the companys financial situation, so a move is on the cards, whether its Canada or elsewhere.

My job is counted as skilled NOC B, but I felt that it would be hard to secure a job and get an employer to go down the LMIA route given the time it takes, especially when I am on the other side of the world. So that left me with the IEC idea.

Maybe some one can advise, but my understanding is that I could go on an IEC visa, and hopefully do enough in my first year to convince an employer to support me in a CEC application, is this correct?

I understand that the best bet is for myself and partner to both apply for separate IEC visas, and that the kids would be allowed to accompany us as dependents?

The reason I am in a bit of a panic is that my previous employer has contacted me today, with a potential job offer. For their own reasons they won't support a FSW application at the moment but said that depending on performance, they may be willing to help in the future. I should add that the job on offer would be a few steps up the ladder from my previous position so I can understand them wanting to see how things go first.

A quick check of the IEC visas show that an Irish citizen has an excellent chance while a British citizen has a very low chance at the moment. So would one option be for me to apply and the partner and kids accompany me as visitors? And then once next years British one opens she could apply and flag pole?

I know it is a risk and we could end up home after 2 years, which of course would be heartbreaking but the way I am looking at it is that a move is on the cards either way, and wherever we go may not work out, so there is always an element of risk.

So can anyone clear any of these things up? I find it all a bit overwhelming to be honest, and it is a lot to try to figure out especially as it doesn't seem clear cut with kids and study permits etc.

Any help would be appreciated a lot, thanks
Old Aug 14th 2017, 9:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC with partner and kids leading to CEC?

Most would suggest the IEC for the Irish citizenship and there are still spots open for this year
Rounds of invitations – International Experience Canada

The 2 year open work permit also allows the opportunity to apply for PR status under the CEC class or have their employee to sponsor them under the PNP if eligible.

CEC link
Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

PNP link
Provincial nominees

You might even qualify under the FSW route without the IEC
Who can apply: Federal skilled workers

If on the IEC the other spouse could not work unless you have a job in NOC groups 0, A or B after securing employment in Canada.
Kids could go to school.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you are invited under CEC is going to depend on your CRS points. Do a check of where you will be in 2 years time assuming 2 years of skilled work experience. Do this with and without your employer doing an LMIA to support PR.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Thank you both for your replies.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
If on the IEC the other spouse could not work unless you have a job in NOC groups 0, A or B after securing employment in Canada.
Kids could go to school.
Just to clarify; if I go ahead and get my IEC, along with hopefully securing the job NOC B, she would then be given a work permit also?

Also with regard to the other streams through Express Entry; if and when the time comes to enter the Express Entry pool and start to look at the CEC or PNP, will I need an LMIA for whichever stream I go through? I.e is it impossible to stay beyond the IEC without a positive LMIA?

Also, where does proof of funds come in to all of this. To go the FSW route, a family of four would need to have $22,000, which I can safely say I do not have. For the IEC, the required amount is $2,500, does that stay the same even with dependants?

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Whether you are invited under CEC is going to depend on your CRS points. Do a check of where you will be in 2 years time assuming 2 years of skilled work experience. Do this with and without your employer doing an LMIA to support PR.
I have tried to check the CRS points, and assuming I have done it correctly, I am coming in around 400 - 415 mark, which is on the low side I guess?
Old Aug 15th 2017, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IrishGuyAbroad
Thank you both for your replies.

Just to clarify; if I go ahead and get my IEC, along with hopefully securing the job NOC B, she would then be given a work permit also?

Also with regard to the other streams through Express Entry; if and when the time comes to enter the Express Entry pool and start to look at the CEC or PNP, will I need an LMIA for whichever stream I go through? I.e is it impossible to stay beyond the IEC without a positive LMIA?

Also, where does proof of funds come in to all of this. To go the FSW route, a family of four would need to have $22,000, which I can safely say I do not have. For the IEC, the required amount is $2,500, does that stay the same even with dependants?

I have tried to check the CRS points, and assuming I have done it correctly, I am coming in around 400 - 415 mark, which is on the low side I guess?
400-415 is not bad and you would stand a chance of being selected. Was this as of now or in two years time assuming 2 years Canadian work experience?

You can stay beyond IEC without a positive LMIA. The rules were changed so that a valid job offer for someone already working in Canada does not necessarily need an LMIA.

I'm afraid I cant answer about the proof of funds for IEC but if invited under CEC then proof of funds is not required.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
400-415 is not bad and you would stand a chance of being selected. Was this as of now or in two years time assuming 2 years Canadian work experience?

You can stay beyond IEC without a positive LMIA. The rules were changed so that a valid job offer for someone already working in Canada does not necessarily need an LMIA.

I'm afraid I cant answer about the proof of funds for IEC but if invited under CEC then proof of funds is not required.
I did the CRS test based on one year Canadian experience. My understanding was I would need to apply at the end of the first year of the IEC, meaning I still had the second year to hopefully get everything sorted and finalised, or have I misread the situation?

CEC looks to be the most straight forward route, but am I right in saying that candidates don't get to decide which stream they apply through? I go into the Express Entry pool, and CIC tell me which way to go from there?

Sorry if this is basic stuff, it is a lot to get my head around when there is so many possibilities and crossovers, and I am sure you guys get a pain in your face answering questions, but it is greatly appreciated
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

I did the CRS test based on one year Canadian experience. My understanding was I would need to apply at the end of the first year of the IEC, meaning I still had the second year to hopefully get everything sorted and finalised, or have I misread the situation?
PR application takes around 6 months to process so your timelines are about right. I applied for PR after 1 year here in Canada.

CEC looks to be the most straight forward route, but am I right in saying that candidates don't get to decide which stream they apply through? I go into the Express Entry pool, and CIC tell me which way to go from there?
That's correct but if you have Canadian experience you are more likely to be invited by that route. Also when making your application to enter EE if you say you have no funds (or a funds value less than required) you aren't eligible for FSW so would only be invited by CEC.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember when it changed (recently but not that recently), but if an Applicant qualifies under both CEC and FSW they will be invited under CEC.

"Can I be eligible for more than one program under Express Entry?
Yes. Depending on the information in your profile, you may be eligible for more than one program through Express Entry.

In that case, you will be invited to apply for one program based on this order:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC),
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), then
Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).
For example:

If you met the criteria for all three programs, the system would send you an invitation to apply for the CEC.
If you met the criteria for CEC and FSWP, you would also get an invitation to apply under the CEC.
If you met the criteria for FSWP and FSTP, you would get an invitation to apply under FSWP.
You can’t choose which program you are invited to apply for. The system will sort profiles based on the information you enter.

If you decline the invitation, the system will not re-invite you under the next program. You will go back in the pool, and if we invite you again, the same order will apply."

Online Help Centre - List of questions and answers - by topic
Old Aug 17th 2017, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I can't remember when it changed (recently but not that recently), but if an Applicant qualifies under both CEC and FSW they will be invited under CEC.

"Can I be eligible for more than one program under Express Entry?
Yes. Depending on the information in your profile, you may be eligible for more than one program through Express Entry.

In that case, you will be invited to apply for one program based on this order:

Canadian Experience Class (CEC),
Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP), then
Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP).
For example:

If you met the criteria for all three programs, the system would send you an invitation to apply for the CEC.
If you met the criteria for CEC and FSWP, you would also get an invitation to apply under the CEC.
If you met the criteria for FSWP and FSTP, you would get an invitation to apply under FSWP.
You can’t choose which program you are invited to apply for. The system will sort profiles based on the information you enter.

If you decline the invitation, the system will not re-invite you under the next program. You will go back in the pool, and if we invite you again, the same order will apply."

Online Help Centre - List of questions and answers - by topic
Great that makes a lot of sense and clears things up, thanks.

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Kids could go to school.
So would that simply be a case of me turning up at the airport with neccessary documentation and perhaps a work contract in NOC B, and then they will give my common law partner her permit, along with the kids study permit?
Old Aug 17th 2017, 4:47 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Great that makes a lot of sense and clears things up, thanks.

So would that simply be a case of me turning up at the airport with neccessary documentation and perhaps a work contract in NOC B, and then they will give my common law partner her permit, along with the kids study permit?
1. No, you actually have to be working and have at least 1 pay stub and a job description to submit with the application for the open work permit.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

1. No, you actually have to be working and have at least 1 pay stub and a job description to submit with the application for the open work permit.
OK I understand, thanks.

So if I applied and got the IEC visa, and we show up at the airport as a family of four, will my spouse and kids be allowed to enter the country? And if so, under what circumstances? CIC website says they can enter as long as an immigration office is happy they only plan to stay temporarily, but what counts as temporary? 2 weeks? 2 years?

Also, can anyone give me any guidance on the proof of funds issue? It says $2500, does that still stand even with dependents, or should it be $2500 for each person? Again, I will have a job offer before I set off for Canada
Old Aug 17th 2017, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

OK I understand, thanks.

So if I applied and got the IEC visa, and we show up at the airport as a family of four, will my spouse and kids be allowed to enter the country? And if so, under what circumstances? CIC website says they can enter as long as an immigration office is happy they only plan to stay temporarily, but what counts as temporary? 2 weeks? 2 years?

Also, can anyone give me any guidance on the proof of funds issue? It says $2500, does that still stand even with dependents, or should it be $2500 for each person? Again, I will have a job offer before I set off for Canada

If you arrive on IEC with family, they will be assessed (and allowed in, or refused) as visitors. They will need to demonstrate visitor intent.

IEC funds requirement is for $2500. Having a job offer makes no difference to that. If you are arriving with three visitor family members, you will need substantial additional funds to prove you can support them while they visit.