Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC - Can I enter Canada as a tourist first?

IEC - Can I enter Canada as a tourist first?

Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:11 pm
Just Joined

xshuttyx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC - Can I enter Canada as a tourist first?

I am flying out to Canada on Sunday on a my first year IEC.

I wondered if it was possible to enter as a tourist then spend a week in Canada, fly out to Hawaii and then upon return from Hawaii activate my IEC work permit at the border or even come back as a tourist and then make a run by vehicle to the nearest border at a later date to activate my IEC work permit.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:32 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC - Can I enter Canada as a tourist first?

Yes that it possible. I believe a lot of people don't activate them until they have actually got a job lined up
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Burke is an unknown quantity at this point

Can I just ask, when did you apply for the IEC?

It's not open until the end of the year no?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Burke
Can I just ask, when did you apply for the IEC?

It's not open until the end of the year no?
I applied in January of this year and received my port of entry letter in Feb/march which I need to activate before January 2015

Yes IEC 2015 will likely open in January.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Burke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by xshuttyx
I applied in January of this year and received my port of entry letter in Feb/march which I need to activate before January 2015

Yes IEC 2015 will likely open in January.
Oh I see!

So it only took a month or two for you to receive your visa?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Burke
Oh I see!

So it only took a month or two for you to receive your visa?
Yes it was all pretty quick, the challenge is making sue you get a spot as they were all gone in around 12 minutes!

Luckily we managed to get the app completed for me and my partner in that time!

Good Luck!
Old Oct 24th 2014, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

1ns0uc1ant is an unknown quantity at this point

That's cool. Two questions:

1. What do you say to the border officers if they ask you 'if you intend to work' ??? - do you tell them the truth that you'll activate once you receive a job offer, or keep it quiet..I was interrogated at the Calgary border and did not disclose I was in the midst of a pending IEC confirmation.

2. Where can you activate it? Airports? or regional offices (I'll be settling in Sask)
Old Oct 24th 2014, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

ninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond reputeninespoons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1ns0uc1ant

1. What do you say to the border officers if they ask you 'if you intend to work' ??? - do you tell them the truth that you'll activate once you receive a job offer, or keep it quiet..I was interrogated at the Calgary border and did not disclose I was in the midst of a pending IEC confirmation.

2. Where can you activate it? Airports? or regional offices (I'll be settling in Sask)
1. I imagine you can disclose it. People on here talk about doing this all the time, so I doubt it will be the first they've heard of it. Things would go pretty southward if you said you had no plans to work and then they saw your resumes in your luggage...

Can anyone who's done this before confirm?

2. AFAIK it's airports exclusively.

My question is: How easy is it to return to the airport just for the purpose of picking up a visa with no intention to travel? What's the protocol?
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1ns0uc1ant

Yes you must disclose you intend to work as you will have your letter of introduction which states you can be issued a work permit. To activate it you must be seeking entry into Canada. If already in Canada you must be flying in to activate at the airport. Most choose to drive to the border and flag pole. Must be done at a port of entry not a regional office.
Old Oct 24th 2014, 9:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninespoons
1. I imagine you can disclose it. People on here talk about doing this all the time, so I doubt it will be the first they've heard of it. Things would go pretty southward if you said you had no plans to work and then they saw your resumes in your luggage...

Can anyone who's done this before confirm?

2. AFAIK it's airports exclusively.

My question is: How easy is it to return to the airport just for the purpose of picking up a visa with no intention to travel? What's the protocol?
You must leave Canada. CBSA won't issue the work permit if you just show up at the airport and you are not flying in from outside of Canada. Most drive to a land border POE.
Old Oct 27th 2014, 4:43 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

I entered Canada as a tourist before activating my work permit through IEC, don't lie tell the truth because if you get grilled then you will trip yourself up.

I told the IO that I had my work permit with me but did not want to activate it just yet. My reason being I had yet to secure a job and I wanted to see the country first before activating. I was staying at my girlfriends parents house and I had all the necessary documents for the work permit with me as well.

I guess you just have to prove to the IO that you are not a risk, if they doesn't believe you then it's up to them.