Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

IEC application question - help needed!

IEC application question - help needed!

Old Dec 15th 2017, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Greg87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC application question - help needed!

So I finally got the news I was hoping for and invited to apply for IEC last week πŸ˜„

Now I just need to pick everyone's brains again! In April this year, whilst on a stag do in Prague, myself and a few others in our party were arrested because of one persons drunken behavior (not mine!). We were kept overnight (they said it was because it was a public holiday and there was no one in that could process the paperwork!) and released the next day. The arrest was for something very minor and translates into English as 'disrespectful behavior that caused distress'. Would this be enough to cause problems with my application? I know I'll need to declare it but the Czech police never made it clear whether we were being charged and I have very little information to put down! I've never heard anything since but I don't want to look like I'm trying to hide anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old Dec 15th 2017, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC application question - help needed!

Originally Posted by Greg87
So I finally got the news I was hoping for and invited to apply for IEC last week πŸ˜„

Now I just need to pick everyone's brains again! In April this year, whilst on a stag do in Prague, myself and a few others in our party were arrested because of one persons drunken behavior (not mine!). We were kept overnight (they said it was because it was a public holiday and there was no one in that could process the paperwork!) and released the next day. The arrest was for something very minor and translates into English as 'disrespectful behavior that caused distress'. Would this be enough to cause problems with my application? I know I'll need to declare it but the Czech police never made it clear whether we were being charged and I have very little information to put down! I've never heard anything since but I don't want to look like I'm trying to hide anything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
This won't render you inadmissible but needs to be declared. If further details are asked just simply state detained/arrested overnight but never charged or convicted.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
This won't render you inadmissible but needs to be declared. If further details are asked just simply state detained/arrested overnight but never charged or convicted.
Thanks Former Lancastrian - I was hoping you might be along soon

So do I just assume that as I haven't heard anything I was never actually charged? Although we were given an interpreter it was all very unclear at the time and I think a lot was lost in translation. I'm just worried about misrepresentation but I genuinely don't know if I was charged or not!
Old Dec 15th 2017, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Former Lancastrian - I was hoping you might be along soon

So do I just assume that as I haven't heard anything I was never actually charged? Although we were given an interpreter it was all very unclear at the time and I think a lot was lost in translation. I'm just worried about misrepresentation but I genuinely don't know if I was charged or not!
Did you get a ticket to pay a fine? Did you receive notification to appear in Court?
If not then you weren't charged or convicted.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

Did you get a ticket to pay a fine? Did you receive notification to appear in Court?
If not then you weren't charged or convicted.
Right, so I've dug out the letter that was sent to us all when we got home. It's a single piece of paper that has all our names and addresses on and then one line followed by a short paragraph in Czech. I've used google to translate it as...

"Notification of the filing of the prosecution under Article 176 1 criminal council.

I hearby inform you that in the criminal case he was brought to the local public prosecutors office under the aforementioned trademark, the charge was filed with the District court for Prague 7, with the seat of Prague 1, Ovocny market 14"

That's all it says. There is no mention of a fine and no summons to court. But does that sound like a charge to you? That is the only correspondence we've had.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right, so I've dug out the letter that was sent to us all when we got home. It's a single piece of paper that has all our names and addresses on and then one line followed by a short paragraph in Czech. I've used google to translate it as...

"Notification of the filing of the prosecution under Article 176 1 criminal council.

I hearby inform you that in the criminal case he was brought to the local public prosecutors office under the aforementioned trademark, the charge was filed with the District court for Prague 7, with the seat of Prague 1, Ovocny market 14"

That's all it says. There is no mention of a fine and no summons to court. But does that sound like a charge to you? That is the only correspondence we've had.
Well its not a conviction so I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are that notification will not be actioned even if filed. However having read it I wouldn't be planning any weekend booze trips to the Czech Republic.
Old Dec 15th 2017, 9:48 pm
Just Joined

Well its not a conviction so I wouldn't worry about it. Chances are that notification will not be actioned even if filed. However having read it I wouldn't be planning any weekend booze trips to the Czech Republic.
Haha my wife has banned me from going on any more stag do's ever again! The worst part was I was the only one not drinking so had to endure (and face consequences for) everyone's drunken behaviors with a sober head!

Thanks so much for your replies though really very much appreciated! It's hard to believe something so little can cause so much stress! What do you thinks the best way to answer the question on my application. I've obviously ticked 'yes' to being arrested and was going to write something along the lines of...

"Arrested in Prague on (date) for 'Disrespectful behavior that caused distress'. Detained overnight and released"

Should I then put an additional sentence saying that I was possibly charged? I'm finding the wording a bit hard as I don't really understand all the terminology!
Old Dec 15th 2017, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This
"Arrested in Prague on (date) for 'Disrespectful behavior that caused distress'. Detained overnight and released"
Old Dec 16th 2017, 5:47 am
Just Joined

This
Perfect thank you 😊 I'll let you know how I get on!
Old Dec 16th 2017, 9:31 am
Just Joined

This
Thought that was all a bit straightforward! I've come to the supporting document stage and uploaded my ACRO. It came back 'no trace' but I know I was definitely arrested in 2011 for drinking alcohol in front of a football pitch. We were arrested and released the same day without charge. Despite my ACRO saying 'no trace' I declared this arrest in my application and now it's asking me to upload court records/police report which I don't have as there are none. What are my options now?
Old Dec 16th 2017, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thought that was all a bit straightforward! I've come to the supporting document stage and uploaded my ACRO. It came back 'no trace' but I know I was definitely arrested in 2011 for drinking alcohol in front of a football pitch. We were arrested and released the same day without charge. Despite my ACRO saying 'no trace' I declared this arrest in my application and now it's asking me to upload court records/police report which I don't have as there are none. What are my options now?
Upload a translated copy of the letter and also a short statement from you describing what happened and that you did not appear in any court or received a fine or conviction. That offence wouldn't show on the ACRO as it didn't occur in the UK.
Don't worry IRCC will sort it out and find there is no conviction.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 11:47 am
Just Joined

Upload a translated copy of the letter and also a short statement from you describing what happened and that you did not appear in any court or received a fine or conviction. That offence wouldn't show on the ACRO as it didn't occur in the UK.
Don't worry IRCC will sort it out and find there is no conviction.
That's good to hear!

The drinking in a football stadium was a separate incident which happened in the UK, so I thought it would appear on my ACRO and was very shocked when it came back 'no trace'. Should I do the same for that and just upload a statement detailing what happened?
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That's good to hear!

The drinking in a football stadium was a separate incident which happened in the UK, so I thought it would appear on my ACRO and was very shocked when it came back 'no trace'. Should I do the same for that and just upload a statement detailing what happened?
Yes.
Old Dec 16th 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Yes.
Thanks so much! Really appreciate all your input ☺️
Old Jan 30th 2018, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Former Lancastrian, I was hoping I might pick your brains about this again!

After all that time not hearing anything from the Czech authorities, two weeks ago I received a document saying we were actually being charged with the offence of disorderly conduct!! Included was a full police report and details of the final outcome (we are to pay costs to the accuser) which I uploaded onto my IEC application as they wanted further details. I've now had another message on my profile asking to provide the following further information...

"Police Certificate: From each country/state where the residence period has been six months or longer
since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate From Czech Republic, issued within 6
months from the date you submitted your application. Please visit
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...y/police-cert/ for instructions on how to obtain a police
certificate.

Court judgment: Court judgment relating to the criminal charge/conviction."

Now I've never lived in the Czech Republic, we were just on holiday, so how will I get a police certificate? Do I simply need to clarify that I was on holiday when the incident took place?

Then the second piece of information they're requesting, the court judgment, was included in the document I uploaded (in both Czech and with an authenticated English translation). Do I just upload the same thing again? Or write that the court judgement was 'x' and full details are on page 'y' of the previous document uploaded previously?

Thank you in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.