IEC - Advice needed

Old Aug 15th 2017, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

hh619 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default IEC - Advice needed

Hi all,

My fiancée and I have put our EE application on hold as we have a busy year in 2018 with wedding plans, etc.

However, we both decided to enter the IEC pool. We thought we would try our luck and if we managed to get an invite, we'd likely go for it. Obviously with the IEC, we get to experience Canada without going "All in" and possibly making a mistake.

My fiancée somehow received an ITA last night. Quite a feat. considering she's only been in the pool for 2 weeks. We both understood that the chances of getting an IEC ITA this year would be very slim and were expecting to have greater success with next year’s draw.

How long can we put off moving to Canada if we accept the ITA? We are getting married next September, so we’d obviously prefer it to be after that.

I’m fully aware that I would also need an IEC work visa to be able to work, so I’m hoping I might get one during the next draw. If I don’t, we might consider going over and I could attempt to apply for a temporary work visa. I’m sure my chances would be a lot higher actually being in Canada.

If all goes well and we both get IEC work visa’s, I assume going the Experience Class Visa route would be easier?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC - Advice needed

Originally Posted by Matt88

I’m fully aware that I would also need an IEC work visa to be able to work, so I’m hoping I might get one during the next draw. If I don’t, we might consider going over and I could attempt to apply for a temporary work visa. I’m sure my chances would be a lot higher actually being in Canada
Not if you were married and your spouse obtained work with a skilled NOC code (0,A or B). You would then be able to obtain an open work permit.

IEC letter of introductions are typically valid for 1 year.
How long is my POE Letter valid?

To apply for CEC PR via EE you will need to qualify as per http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

You will also need enough CRS points to be selected from the pool (same as FSW scheme). The advantages of CEC is that you are likely to have some more points for Canadian work experience and you don't need proof of funds. Check what your CRS points might be in 1.5 years time assuming you have that time in skilled Canadian work. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/express-entry/grid-crs.asp

Last edited by Engineer_abroad; Aug 15th 2017 at 2:09 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
Not if you were married and your spouse obtained work with a skilled NOC code (0,A or B). You would then be able to obtain an open work permit.

IEC letter of introductions are typically valid for 1 year.
How long is my POE Letter valid?
I thought as much. That won't quite be long enough! We have a lot on this year and most of next year, so we may have to re-enter the pool for next year.

If you aren't selected, will the application stay valid during the next draw? I understand that if my fiancee doesn't accept the invitation she will have to enter a new application.

To apply for CEC PR via EE you will need to qualify as per Who can apply: Canadian Experience Class

You will also need enough CRS points to be selected from the pool (same as FSW scheme). The advantages of CEC is that you are likely to have some more points for Canadian work experience and you don't need proof of funds. Check what your CRS points might be in 1.5 years time assuming you have that time in skilled Canadian work. Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) Criteria – Express Entry
My Fiancee is scoring high enough without the Canadian work experience. We could go the EE route now, but like the idea of going to experience it before we full commit to it.

We'd have to sell our house to get the proof of funds for FSW route. At least with IEC then CEC route we won't have to sell up.. Although, by then we'd probably be prepared to do so!
Old Aug 15th 2017, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I thought as much. That won't quite be long enough! We have a lot on this year and most of next year, so we may have to re-enter the pool for next year.

If you aren't selected, will the application stay valid during the next draw? I understand that if my fiancee doesn't accept the invitation she will have to enter a new application.

My Fiancee is scoring high enough without the Canadian work experience. We could go the EE route now, but like the idea of going to experience it before we full commit to it.

We'd have to sell our house to get the proof of funds for FSW route. At least with IEC then CEC route we won't have to sell up.. Although, by then we'd probably be prepared to do so!
You would have to re-enter the selection, I believe they start fresh each year.

You could consider getting a low key civil ceremony sooner (i.e. cheep and cheerful town hall job) then move on you IEC and return in Sep next year to do the big family wedding. I know a lot of people who have done it this way for immigration reasons (some didn't even tell their families for many years).
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

You would have to re-enter the selection, I believe they start fresh each year.

You could consider getting a low key civil ceremony sooner (i.e. cheep and cheerful town hall job) then move on you IEC and return in Sep next year to do the big family wedding. I know a lot of people who have done it this way for immigration reasons (some didn't even tell their families for many years).
That's a good idea. I'll put it past the fiancee! Thanks

I assume, unless they change the system, that there's a higher chance of being selected early on in the year as there are more places available? Just thinking if we have to turn this down for one reason or another, that we may have a good chance of being selected again?

Also, If my fiancee gets a NOC B job for example, how long would it be before i can get an open work visa?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good idea. I'll put it past the fiancee! Thanks

I assume, unless they change the system, that there's a higher chance of being selected early on in the year as there are more places available? Just thinking if we have to turn this down for one reason or another, that we may have a good chance of being selected again?

Also, If my fiancee gets a NOC B job for example, how long would it be before i can get an open work visa?

Thanks for your help.
Are you considered common law i.e. lived together for over 12 months and have proof of that otherwise fiancees are not entitled to the spousal open work permit on the back of an IEC applicants work permit.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Are you considered common law i.e. lived together for over 12 months and have proof of that otherwise fiancees are not entitled to the spousal open work permit on the back of an IEC applicants work permit.
Hi Former Lancastrian,

We've lived together over 2.5 years.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Former Lancastrian,

We've lived together over 2.5 years.
Well if the officer believes you once proof that the other half has a NOC B skill job then you could drive down to the border turn around and pay the $100 processing fee for the OWP and $155 for the work permit itself.
You can also apply online which takes longer.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Well if the officer believes you once proof that the other half has a NOC B skill job then you could drive down to the border turn around and pay the $100 processing fee for the OWP and $155 for the work permit itself.
You can also apply online which takes longer.
That's good to hear, thanks for your help