IEC 2017

Old Jan 15th 2017, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

ydrp2016 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IEC 2017

Hi, thank for the prompt response. This is the issue, the eTA is not valid as CIC think I have PR status (so I do not need an eTA. However I do not have PR, just ITA for IEC. So when I check eTA status it says it it was withdrawn.

Perhaps I am best speaking to CIC. Is there a number I can use from the UK?
Old Jan 15th 2017, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ydrp2016
Hi, thank for the prompt response. This is the issue, the eTA is not valid as CIC think I have PR status (so I do not need an eTA. However I do not have PR, just ITA for IEC. So when I check eTA status it says it it was withdrawn.

Perhaps I am best speaking to CIC. Is there a number I can use from the UK?
No there isn't. Use this link to send an email
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/enquiries-r...296.1483282173
Old Jan 15th 2017, 3:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arj_1989
Thanks for clearing that up. I imagine they won't even ask when you get there - they didn't when I went to Oz.
Imagine that they will ask for everything they say you should have with you.

If you don't have the money - or potentially even worse, have it & can't prove it - you can be turned away at the airport. Two year permit lost, cost of flights and insurance lost (remember to buy the insurance that's required, and people have somehow been surprised to discover they're not kidding).
Old Jan 18th 2017, 10:51 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for clearing that up. I imagine they won't even ask when you get there - they didn't when I went to Oz.
I activated two consecutive IEC permits during my time in Canada. Was I asked for proof of funds and insurance on either occasion? No.

Did I risk not having it with me in case I was asked for it? Not on your life.
Old Jan 18th 2017, 3:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

I imagine they won't even ask when you get there - they didn't when I went to Oz.
Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

If you don't have the money - or potentially even worse, have it & can't prove it - you can be turned away at the airport. Two year permit lost, cost of flights and insurance lost
Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
I activated two consecutive IEC permits during my time in Canada. Was I asked for proof of funds and insurance on either occasion? No.

Did I risk not having it with me in case I was asked for it? Not on your life.
^This

Australia has a completely different WHV program. For a start, you are only allowed to work for one employer for up to 6 months (from what I remember anyway) and you only get one year unless you do 3 months of specified labour work for a further 12 month visa.

With the IEC there are no restrictions like that so it makes sense that they are more strict about checking insurance and proof of funds and I have heard of people not having POF and/or insurance being turned away.

I remember when my ex boyfriend told me about the IEC in 2011 (back when it was all on paper and sent to the Canadian embassy in Paris). When I found out that you needed police checks and to fill in a load of paperwork as well as the facts there were only so many work permits available I said 'screw that, I'm not putting all that work in.' - Here I am over 5 years later.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:57 am
Just Joined

LDN_Kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pinnacle
Also are people receiving invitations on a certain day? Or could it be any day? I'm literally checking every day, I know it's supposed to be random but I've only seen people that applied early receive them, I applied December 13.
I am in the exact same boat! Applied early December and am checking everyday for updates on invitations. Does anyone know if invitations are issued weekly or if it really is completely at random?

Thanks!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:02 am
Forum Regular

hg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond reputehg42 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LDN_Kiwi
I am in the exact same boat! Applied early December and am checking everyday for updates on invitations. Does anyone know if invitations are issued weekly or if it really is completely at random?

Thanks!
I applied right as the pool opened several months back and received an invite on the morning of the 15th of December (so a Thursday), for what it's worth. I understand a computer draws people, so it doesn't really do you any good to stress out about it - logically I suppose it ought to happen during office hours so any problems that emerge can be sorted there and then.

Looking at the rounds of invitations though - if (big if!) I've understood the process correctly there will probably be ~3000 spots left for ~4000 applicants - that is:

Quota: 5,000
First round of invitations: November 28, 2016 - December 3, 2016
Final round of invitations: To be announced
Invitations issued to date: 4,215
Spots available: 4,447
Candidates in the pool: 4,201
- 5000 applications will be accepted;
- 4215 invitations have been issued;
- 553 invitations have been accepted;
- * some proportion of the remaining 3682 invitations will be accepted, but there's no way of knowing what that is;
- 4201 people are awaiting an invitation from a pool of (4447 - however many outstanding invitations go forwards + however many accepted invitations don't complete, or fail, the further application process)

So your odds should be pretty good, but depend on how many people don't take up invites - I remember last year the quota started out at 5000 and was then increased to 8000 later on, too. Spare a thought for the French, with 12000 applicants for now 5000 spots!
Old Jan 19th 2017, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

DevNinja is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LDN_Kiwi

Thanks!
Thursday morning for me
Old Jan 19th 2017, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

thingstodo123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hg42
I applied right as the pool opened several months back and received an invite on the morning of the 15th of December (so a Thursday), for what it's worth. I understand a computer draws people, so it doesn't really do you any good to stress out about it - logically I suppose it ought to happen during office hours so any problems that emerge can be sorted there and then.
Lucky guy.

I applied half way through last year and received nada, then this year I applied on the day of the pool opening and again, nada.

Frustrating to see friends who applied much later receiving invites!

But what can you do, it's a cold, grey, computer sitting somewhere in the wilds of Canada. Got to just carry on with normality and if you get the invitation, well, that's a nice surprise, time to have a beer (or two).
Old Jan 19th 2017, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Smug is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only just applied for my passport so it's gonna be a while before I can even think about applying. Really hope I haven't left it too late.
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 3:02 pm
Just Joined

arj_1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Its when they ask you for it and you don't have it is when you run into problems.
The flight back home might seem longer than the flight to Canada
Very true! That would very disappointing.

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Oz may have different requirements, but as FL has said (who by the way, is a CBSA officer in case you're not aware), you won't get the visa if you're asked for POF and can't show it, as you're not eligible without it. So not worth risking, just make sure you've got it, and ideally a bit more as most agree the $2500 is a pretty paltry amount when trying to set up life in Canada!
Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

If you don't have the money - or potentially even worse, have it & can't prove it - you can be turned away at the airport. Two year permit lost, cost of flights and insurance lost (remember to buy the insurance that's required, and people have somehow been surprised to discover they're not kidding).
Thanks for all your advice - I really appreciate it. I had proof when I went to Oz so I would definitely do it again for Canada - as others have said it's not worth the risk. I was only asking as I don't have the money right now - although by the time I get round to applying I should have it hopefully. I just needed to know if they'd ask for proof during the application process.

I've just come to the conclusion that it would be wise to renew my UK passport as it expires in 2020 and I would love to carry on travelling through NZ and then onto taking my second year in Oz. I've just checked out how many spots are left for UK citizens in the IEC and it's lowered considerably since I looked the other day. A passport renewal can take up to 3 weeks - have I left it too late to apply for IEC this year? Does anyone have an idea when next years program will start?
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 6:17 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have an idea when next years program will start?
Next Summer/fall time
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

If my cumulative time in a country passes the 6 month mark while my application is being processed will I need to submit police and medical checks from that country?
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 11:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DevNinja
If my cumulative time in a country passes the 6 month mark while my application is being processed will I need to submit police and medical checks from that country?
From the CIC website
For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.
How to get a police certificate
Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
From the CIC website
For example: if you visited, worked or lived in a country for two months, left for a few years, then returned for four months, that counts as spending six months there. In this case, you would need a certificate.
How to get a police certificate

Ok, thanks for the reply.

To clarify, I am at the stage where I have paid and submitted all of my documentation inc. police certificate from the UK.

If I am asked for additional documentation by CIC (which you mentioned in an earlier post could happen) and remain in the country I am in at the moment, the processing time will take me over the 6 month mark.

If it gets to 6 months should I apply straight way for a police certificate here and send it in, and should I notify CIC about my circumstances while waiting for that?

As for medical, the closest country for me to get that done is Canada. Should I submit a case specific enquiry to organise this? Would I even be able to get an eta and be allowed in to get a medical while my work permit is being processed?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.