IEC 2015

Old Nov 24th 2014, 12:05 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Preperation for IEC Opening Rounds

There is another thread entitled 'IEC 2015' - you should post in that one.

No point in making the kompass account as that was for last years visas. You will have to sign up for a new one for the 2015 visas.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IEC 2015

Hi All - Quick Q - I've seen that the processing times for PNP is 8/9 months.

Given that the IEC only lasts 12, it doesn't give you a great deal of breathing room.

What's the best option for 'bridging the gap'?

Would be interesting to see what an employer's opinion is of you taking a 1/2 month 'sabatical' while you wait for the approval. Can't imagine they would be too thrilled about it.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond reputebc2015 has a reputation beyond repute

You could try and get a second IEC (if possible). You could also get an LMIA.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bc2015
You could try and get a second IEC (if possible). You could also get an LMIA.
Yeah, thanks.

I'd imagine their favourite part will be when you tell them that it'll cost them $1,000 for the LMIA.

Guess I better just get my skates on once I land!! Definitely puts extra emphasis on landing as a visitor and activating your IEC once you find work...
Old Nov 26th 2014, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

David3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond reputeDavid3627 has a reputation beyond repute

You still have to fully leave employment at the end of your permit, even if you managed to get a permit to start the very next day.
Old Nov 26th 2014, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

WildfireV2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by David3627
Correct - I have to continue working or at least keep the interval as short as possible to help me keep my job!

My job doesn't qualify for the LMIA route. It's a security job for law enforcement so well below the NOC threshold...
Out of curiosity, you have had 1 current IEC year & hoping to carry on this year correct?

Also noticing that your job was below the NOC threshold, had you not found your spouse would you be looking at returning home after the IEC periods for good? As I thought the whole point of using IEC was to gain work experience within a qualifying field so that you could apply for PR. Or as someone else told me, get 9 months canadian work experience in one of those 3 skilled areas to have a good shot at PR.

However, it seems that "finding a spouse" might be the absolute easiest route, which in my mind means you could essentially go and do any job you enjoy, find a spouse and apply for PR that way, instead of trying to gain experience within a qualifying field. Although this route has more risk essentially, is what I have said correct?

Please do correct me on anything, I am also learning & wanting to do the IEC but my circumstances are different I suppose.

I am 25, with a degree in Accounting, currently working within an accounting practice & my heart has decided I would rather do tonnes of other work than accounting, hell I think I would really enjoy some kind of IT programming work, or something more IT related and less tax related...

Problem is, if I get on the IEC, I believe that jobs in finance DO qualify for that whole NOC or FSW thing, under skilled catergory B, although I have forgotten now, but I would hate to go to an amazing place like Canada and then be stuck doing f***** accounts all day!
Old Nov 26th 2014, 11:59 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WildfireV2

However, it seems that "finding a spouse" might be the absolute easiest route, which in my mind means you could essentially go and do any job you enjoy, find a spouse and apply for PR that way,
It's all well and good 'finding a spouse' and if you are male and in Vancouver it will probably not be a problem for you (Vancouver men are in a very low league of their own)!

However you need to be living with them for at least 12 months before you can apply and show evidence of a committed relationship: photos, bills in both your names, names on tenancy agreements, insurance policies etc.

It's not just about finding someone and shacking up with them and trying to get PR
Old Nov 27th 2014, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

TheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond reputeTheAwesomeMatt has a reputation beyond repute

Tbh Vancouver has a pretty terrible dating reputation for men & women. Whilst it's not difficult to find a casual relationship, I wouldn't count on finding a partner to sponsor you.

I'm actually heading back to Vancouver fairly soon, so I hope there has been a slight improvement in the dating scene. I'll have to find a new Rumpus Room....
Old Nov 27th 2014, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

dechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of lightdechamp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Where does this ridiculous idea that Vancouver is so super expensive that people can't afford rent without working like a slave come from?

I lived in a 1bd appartment in the West End for $930/mo, which, IMO, is more than reasonable. If you compare it to London, its at least half the price, if not a third.

Everyone goes on about how expensive Vancouver is, and I just don't get it. It's not as though the wages are poverty line, either.

I agree

But it depends on what skill you have and what type of job you get some pay a lot lower than others.

But compared to the uk i feel vancouver is no more expensive.

Trouble with vancouver is people like to complain far to much yet they dont do sod all about it .
Old Nov 27th 2014, 3:09 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by dechamp
I agree

But it depends on what skill you have and what type of job you get some pay a lot lower than others.

But compared to the uk i feel vancouver is no more expensive.

Trouble with vancouver is people like to complain far to much yet they dont do sod all about it .
For housing it's very expensive unless you are comparing it to London
Old Nov 28th 2014, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
For housing it's very expensive unless you are comparing it to London
But it's all about supply and demand, the reason that rent outside of London (and commuter areas) are low is because, once you get past Cambridge, it's all a <snip>

Rent in Vancouver may seem high, but that's because it's an awesome place to live.

Besides, the equivalent of £600/mo isn't expensive for a 1bd flat unless you are comparing it to squallor and/or some Northern hell hole.

Now.. where's my fishing emoticon.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Nov 28th 2014 at 9:21 am. Reason: Putting a symbol in place of one letter doesn't mean we don't know what the word is! No swearing, thx.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dechamp
Including this fallacy that dating in Vancouver is difficult.

Maybe if you tried saying hello to someone once in a while...

I had no issues, and I'm not exactly superb looking or in phenomenal shape. You just have to put yourself out there, not sit and home and moan about how horrible it all is.

All about a positive attitude
Old Nov 28th 2014, 9:22 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

But it's all about supply and demand, the reason that rent outside of London (and commuter areas) are low is because, once you get past Cambridge, it's all a <snip>
Yeah, those Cotswolds are hideous aren't they?!

Including this fallacy that dating in Vancouver is difficult.

Maybe if you tried saying hello to someone once in a while...

I had no issues, and I'm not exactly superb looking or in phenomenal shape. You just have to put yourself out there, not sit and home and moan about how horrible it all is.

All about a positive attitude
Which I'm sure the others have as well. Just because you've had no problems, you can't dismiss their comments as if they're not true. Different strokes for different folks and all that, please try a little empathy rather than belittling others experiences.

Thx.
Old Nov 28th 2014, 1:44 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Which I'm sure the others have as well. Just because you've had no problems, you can't dismiss their comments as if they're not true. Different strokes for different folks and all that, please try a little empathy rather than belittling others experiences.

Thx.

You said everything so I dont need to add anything extra
Old Nov 28th 2014, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yeah, those Cotswolds are hideous aren't they?!

Thx.
No, you're right, I should show more empathy, and in real life, I generally would. I was just playing a little game of wind up.

I also don't think that everything north of Cambridge is horrible... although that is a stereotype that A LOT of people believe to be true!!

That said... I do get quite annoyed at how much people complain about Vancouver. I mean, I get it, it has some flaws, but, at the end of the day, if you* don't like it, move. You're not a tree.

It just really irks me how much effort and energy people waste criticising Vancouver for its shortfalls.

*generally, not you personally

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.