Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

I live in Canada with PR, kids now want to come, help!?

I live in Canada with PR, kids now want to come, help!?

Old May 16th 2017, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I live in Canada with PR, kids now want to come, help!?

Originally Posted by Cchris
So I have my kids here until late August, we arrived back on Saturday and have return tickets for 23rd August. Immigration didn't ask to see any documentation, they merely asked my 14 yr old if her mum knew she was visiting!

So, I intend to have sole parental responsibility, if my ex doesn't agree to give this within about 20 days my lawyer will be pursuing a temporary relocation order until a final decision is made, he seems extremely confident if it goes to court that we will win. So with the kids already in Canada, if a temporary relocation order is given/my ex agrees to permanent relocation without court proceedings, how do I register their intent to reside with me with CIC. From within Canada or from the UK?
I don't know the answer to your questions but glad to see you have made big progress! Congrats on getting this far! 😃👍
Old May 17th 2017, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You need family law representation which you have got.

I would suggest you seek Canadian immigration advice if you are intending to make a family class application for your children. You will have to sponsor them to become PRs. I believe they were declared and medically examined during the course of your own application so you are not precluded from sponsoring them if they are under 19. There's bound to be some complexity in such an application (because of all you have said in this thread) and you need to be prepared for that so my opinion is as above.

You have to ensure they maintain temporary status if they stay with you in Canada while you apply for them to become PRs (don't overstay whatever period of stay they were granted on entry without applying to extend before that date).

Good luck!

Last edited by Snowy560; May 17th 2017 at 12:33 am.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Cchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond repute

I've just won a temporary relocation order through the UK courts. Now I have a lot of work to do. Air Transat are refusing to refund me for the return tickets I've had to cancel grrrr. Could do with that money.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely ensure you maintain their temporary resident status while you're sorting out their application for PR. This means extending their stay before expiry of their status. Otherwise you will have problems.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:46 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I've just won a temporary relocation order through the UK courts. Now I have a lot of work to do. Air Transat are refusing to refund me for the return tickets I've had to cancel grrrr. Could do with that money.
Congrats - that's the first step over with.. I'm sure it can't be easy for any of you.

Have you asked Air Transat if they would transfer/change your tickets to a later date? You'd have to pay an admin fee (and any difference in price) but they may agree to do it... it really depends on your original ticket.

https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Leg...and-Conditions

Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond reputeCchris has a reputation beyond repute

I intend to apply for the extention today. I'm going to call immigration for advice as they are now dependents and mandated through the court to reside here with me.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:50 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I intend to apply for the extention today. I'm going to call immigration for advice as they are now dependents and mandated through the court to reside here with me.
The CIC misinformation line won't be of the greatest help, they are not trained immigration officers and as such are unlikely to be able to offer you advice on this (and if they do, it may well be incorrect).

Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Congrats - that's the first step over with.. I'm sure it can't be easy for any of you.

Have you asked Air Transat if they would transfer/change your tickets to a later date? You'd have to pay an admin fee (and any difference in price) but they may agree to do it... it really depends on your original ticket.

https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Leg...and-Conditions

I've literally no money, going over there and spending close to a month living in hotel rooms/airbnbs and not earning a wage killed my savings and credit card, I've since developed carpal tunnel in both wrists due to repetitive work and my employer slashed my hours!!! I just got off the phone with Air Transat, they wont even consider exceptional circumstances when asking for a refund.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
The CIC misinformation line won't be of the greatest help, they are not trained immigration officers and as such are unlikely to be able to offer you advice on this (and if they do, it may well be incorrect).

True that. I stayed here 3 months after my visa ran out once due to mis information from that phone line!
Old Aug 14th 2017, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've told you previously I think you need assistance to sort out their status in the short/medium/long term. I know you don't have much money but that's still what I think. Good luck 👍
Old Aug 14th 2017, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah, money is a huge factor. My main hobby is applying for more lucrative employment!
When we entered Canada the kids passports were not stamped or dated, as far as I can tell, that means they can 'visit' for 6 months. I do need advise about applying for them to be temporary residents. I think I'll contact my local MP see if they can help.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, money is a huge factor. My main hobby is applying for more lucrative employment!
When we entered Canada the kids passports were not stamped or dated, as far as I can tell, that means they can 'visit' for 6 months. I do need advise about applying for them to be temporary residents. I think I'll contact my local MP see if they can help.
Definitely give your MP a try. I have had to resort to such measures twice and both times things that had dragged on for ages got sorted within a week.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Air Transat are refusing to refund me for the return tickets I've had to cancel grrrr. Could do with that money.
How much notice of cancellation did you give?

As irritating as it may be, not really ATs fault. The terms and conditions of travel and cancellation are on the website, each person who books a ticket agrees to the T & C. If they choose not to read it and agree anyway, not the carriers fault. Some tickets can be cancelled, however the fare is higher for transferable tickets and those than can be cancelled.
Item 8 refers https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Leg...and-Conditions

This is why many pax take our trip interruption and cancellation insurance. If you have that, it may cover you.

You could also try writing to them, sending a letter by mail, find out the name of a senior manager if you think you have a good case. May get nowhere, but for the cost of a stamp, maybe worth a shot.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 5:58 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I've since developed carpal tunnel in both wrists due to repetitive work and my employer slashed my hours!!!
If a work related injury from your present job, maybe covered under comp.

In some circumstances, when hours are cut, someone can claim EI.
Old Aug 14th 2017, 11:57 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Aviator
If a work related injury from your present job, maybe covered under comp.

In some circumstances, when hours are cut, someone can claim EI.
+1

https://www.worksafebc.com/en/claims...injury-illness

If you think you have a work-related disease or illness, report it to us as soon as you notice the symptoms. You can file an occupational disease claim even if you're not working or you've changed jobs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.