Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Husband interviewing for a job in CA - how does it all work?

Husband interviewing for a job in CA - how does it all work?

Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice
Default Husband interviewing for a job in CA - how does it all work?

Hi all,

I've searched, but can't seem to find the answer. My husband is currently interviewing for a job in Canada with a large international company. The offer would include a relocation package, but, well, how does it all work? Does anyone have any idea of the timescales of this sort of thing? I assume the company sorts out a visa, etc - are we talking weeks, or months?

Any ideas, information, links, or vague hints much appreciated. Right now I'm blundering around the internet in the dark!
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 5:54 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband interviewing for a job in CA - how does it all work?

Originally Posted by skara
Hi all,

I've searched, but can't seem to find the answer. My husband is currently interviewing for a job in Canada with a large international company. The offer would include a relocation package, but, well, how does it all work? Does anyone have any idea of the timescales of this sort of thing? I assume the company sorts out a visa, etc - are we talking weeks, or months?

Any ideas, information, links, or vague hints much appreciated. Right now I'm blundering around the internet in the dark!
Hey Skara- first of all congrats you must be excited and scared all at once hey!!!!!!

Is this part of an intra company transfer (ie he works for a UK arm of this company already) or is it a totally new job?

If its the latter, the company, if they want to offer him the job has to do the following (of which I presum they are aware seeing as they are interviewing a foreign applicant).

Apply for an LMO (labour market opinion) - for this they need to prove to HRSDC (human resources development Canada) that a Canadian is not able to fill the job.

If they are succesful they will be given approval and can offer you hubby the job. They have to show that they have advertised the position on the relevant job sites for a set time within the last 3 months.

Then your hubby applies for a temp work permit for him (showing the LMO approval) and you appy for an open work permit for you.

This process can take as little as a few weeks to about 6 months (I think).

You may then be able to apply for permanent residency when you are here dependant upon either the job or the province you are wanting to relocate to.

If you post rough details about the nature of the job and where it is (not specifics just province) then someone can come along and give a more definitive answer as to what timescales you are looking at.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:04 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Have sent you a PM, skara. Reply if you want to discuss this off thread.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:16 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Have sent you a PM, skara. Reply if you want to discuss this off thread.
She has only 1 post, so thats not going to happen

Your timeline in the sig offers some insight to timeframes though doesnt it?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

skara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really niceskara is just really nice

Ooh, thank you all for being so quick!

Right. Job is in Ontario, has been (as I understand it) advertised for the required amount of time. So the 3 months thing is dealt with.

If I do another post, will I be able to read the PM, I wonder? Haha.
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 6:47 pm
Forum Regular

Oops. The job is in IT. Forgot that bit. There I was thinking I'd have to make up some nonsense to make it up to three posts. Not that that's usually a problem.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Should get more news today. Fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll be back with loads of questions - thanks all
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Should get more news today. Fingers crossed. I'm sure I'll be back with loads of questions - thanks all
Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts in Bucks are you?
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the welcome

We're as far north as you can get! Just outside Buckingham, on the Oxfordshire/Northants border.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 2:59 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome

We're as far north as you can get! Just outside Buckingham, on the Oxfordshire/Northants border.
Ah, fed up of the Silverstone traffic
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, southern Bucks girl myself - Amersham area. Opposite ends of the county! Lovely countryside up there though, plus you've got the benefit of Ikea in MK - v jealous of that!

Good luck with everything, and hope this forum helps.

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

Haha! Yes, once a year the traffic is a nightmare. Just realised that CA is the abbreviation for California. Surprised nobody has come and shouted at me.

Next mission: trying to find some moving-to-Canada blogs. The ones on the wiki are a bit out of date - there must be loads out there, somewhere.
Old Feb 23rd 2011, 3:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Haha! Yes, once a year the traffic is a nightmare. Just realised that CA is the abbreviation for California. Surprised nobody has come and shouted at me.
As if we would! But yes, I did think California to start with!

Next mission: trying to find some moving-to-Canada blogs. The ones on the wiki are a bit out of date - there must be loads out there, somewhere.
Have a read of the Canniversary section, and also the Moving Back to the UK part of the forum to see why people return. Hopefully give you a balanced view of both sides!

Old Feb 23rd 2011, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

That's just where I've spend most of the day. I'm a real nerd - like to find out *everything* before the event.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Husband interviewing for a job in Canada - how does it all work?

Just to update - still waiting

Interview process seems to be trundling along. Am doing lots of virtual house shopping on the MLS website, and trying to work out where we can live. Need to be within commuting distance of downtown Toronto. (Us and the rest of the world, it would seem...)