How to get a job in Canada?

Old Sep 8th 2017, 10:37 am
Just Joined

wakeshine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get a job in Canada?

Hi there. I am trying to find a job in Canada. I have lived in the UK all my life and am a British citizen. But I am confused about the process. The jobs I am trying to find are probably a niche market (a particular type of medical research), so few and far between. When I have gone to careers pages of organisations which could potentially have relevant positions, I have found positions I could potentially apply for, Most of them say 'Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.' I am confused as to what this means. Here in the UK, the person applies for a job and then sorts out a work permit after securing the job - either with the help of the company who gave them the job, or individually applying. But you get the job first. What do I have to do for Canada - how can I get a work permit or become a legal resident without a job there yet? Do the companies not sponsor? A few months ago there was a company in Vancouver that seemed very interested in me. I was interviewed twice and they seemed very keen, They said they would go and check on what I needed to do for the immigration process and thhen they got back to me saying that they wouldn't be progressing my application, but there was no explanation. I tried to ask them about it but I got no response. The strange thing is when I was visiting Vancouver last year I met loads of British expats there working. So I wonder how did they all get there? Am I supposed to emigrate first, then apply for jobs once there? Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get a job in Canada?

There are two ways of going about it:

1) Apply for permanent residency via one of the federal programs and then get a job as a legal resident.

2) Have a company apply for an LMIA to employ you as a TFW. This is a complicated, and not always successful prosess that takes a long time and costs the company $1000 plus there own costs in preparing paperwork. To get an LMIA companies have to prove that they have been unable to fine a Canadian citizen or resident able and/or willing to do the job. As such most companies will not bother with this approach unless they are struggling to find people and/or you are very niche.

As an aside read the wiki on job hunting in Canada, it is based more on face to face contact and pressing the flesh than the send off CV UK way.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Thank you very much for your reply. I will investigate further these routes.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Inabsentia_ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wakeshine
Thank you very much for your reply. I will investigate further these routes.
I'm a doctor from the UK who just finished up a medical research position in Canada so I could potentially help you. To seek employment in Canada, you often need to "get your foot in the door". Many people, particularly in research, undertake another MSc or PhD from within Canada which naturally leads to a job and opens up a lot of doors. Canadians value this to an extreme degree (having a Canadian degree). It is increasingly uncommon for someone to move to Canada from anywhere and secure an academic position unless you are a highly distinguished scientist with an Oxbridge education.

To even get to that stage, in most cases, you would have to apply for permanent residency (PR) status which gives you a legal right to stay and work in Canada or obtain Canadian PR status through other means. This is another story unto itself and the first step to take. If you let me know which area of research you are looking at, I may be able to get you in touch with some professors working on what you're working on.

Last edited by Inabsentia_; Sep 10th 2017 at 3:37 pm.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:18 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that there is an easy way to get to Canada any more. For most people a job offer seems to be required. Or you continue studies over here. Have you looked at your eligibility via express entry? Or many points are you scoring?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 5:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Rivingtonpike. How do I look at my eligibility via express entry? How do I find out how many points I am scoring?
Old Sep 10th 2017, 6:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Rivingtonpike. How do I look at my eligibility via express entry? How do I find out how many points I am scoring?
The CIC website is the place to start.

Your session has expired / Votre session est expirée - Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada

Then if it says you're eligible to apply under Express Entry, check your points here - Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) tool: skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

HTH.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Most of them say 'Only Canadian Citizens, legal residents or residents with a legal work permit will be considered.' I am confused as to what this means. Here in the UK, the person applies for a job and then sorts out a work permit after securing the job - either with the help of the company who gave them the job, or individually applying. But you get the job first.
You've largely been given all the info you need (I don't think anyone's suggested, if you're under 31, you can try for a two year IEC open work permit, which is done by random draw), so just to correct this misapprehension - British employers will often (always?) give priority to those with the pre-existing ability to work in the UK. It's certainly hard, and I believe, impossible, to hire a non-European citizen who doesn't already have a work visa, without first proving, much like in Canada, that nobody who already has the right to do the job can/wants to do the job.