Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How difficult is the Citizenship Test?

How difficult is the Citizenship Test?

Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

capwn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How difficult is the Citizenship Test?

I'm currently listening to the mp3 of the 'Discover Canada' information. About 3 hours in total. I just listen to it in 30 min segments over and over as most of it just goes over my head. So much information and I'm not quite sure if I can hold all information in my head.

Can anyone who has done the test give me any advise? How would you go about studying if you had to go through it again?
Old Feb 7th 2018, 8:52 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How difficult is the Citizenship Test?

Originally Posted by capwn
I'm currently listening to the mp3 of the 'Discover Canada' information. About 3 hours in total. I just listen to it in 30 min segments over and over as most of it just goes over my head. So much information and I'm not quite sure if I can hold all information in my head.

Can anyone who has done the test give me any advise? How would you go about studying if you had to go through it again?
Perhaps take some of the practice tests, thereby helping it to sink in?

Canada Citizenship Test - Free Practice Exams

Edited to add, apart from the 26 tests you can do on that site, they also have videos and a very useful list of 'important facts' broken down into categories for you.. http://citizenshiptests.ca/study-resources/

Last edited by Siouxie; Feb 8th 2018 at 3:30 am.
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Online Canadian Citizenship Quiz - CitizenshipCounts.ca

Use the above link to run the online test quiz. Allocate a half hour each day and Repeat the 20 question test several times. Very soon you will be an expert. More than 50% of the questions you can work out without any knowledge of Canada.

P.S. I was scoring 85% after just a few attempts.....
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:30 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Ontario really is the centre of the universe. I got more right when selecting Ontario than NB
Old Feb 7th 2018, 9:38 pm
Chips & Gravy

jennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of lightjennellapea is a glorious beacon of light

It's really easy. Do the practice tests / read (or listen to) the book and you'll be fine.

I used this one to do the practice tests - Canadian Citizenship Practice Test - Richmond Public Library

I took mine a couple of weeks ago.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

My test was easier than the online practice tests. For every question, there were two answers that were obviously wrong, so I'd have got 50% just by picking between the two that could have been correct.

But that was five years ago, so it might have changed since.

As far as I remember, I took about 90 seconds to complete the test, and ten minutes to repeatedly check it because I hadn't ticked a single 'B' in all the answers.
Old Feb 8th 2018, 11:40 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just got 65% on my first test with no revision
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:49 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

When we did ours, I asked the invigilator what the pass mark was. 'There isn't one' was the answer I he gave. 'So getting a few wrong is not a problem?' 'It depends which ones you get wrong' was the answer I got.

I guess I got the right ones correct.
Old Feb 9th 2018, 1:59 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
When we did ours, I asked the invigilator what the pass mark was. 'There isn't one' was the answer I he gave. 'So getting a few wrong is not a problem?' 'It depends which ones you get wrong' was the answer I got.
Yes, I can see that.

When I've done it before I've always just done a few sample ones, 5 or 10 or whatever.

But earlier tonight I did the full, timed, 30 minute test. It took me 2 minutes and 50 seconds.

Previously they've always been 'serious' questions but some of them this time were just not in the same league. I can imagine those would be the ones you dare not get wrong.
(or panic because they can't be that easy, can they?)
Old Feb 9th 2018, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Used to be that there were certain questions you had to get right to pass. But I believe it's now just a straight percentage?
Old Feb 9th 2018, 5:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by MarkG
Used to be that there were certain questions you had to get right to pass. But I believe it's now just a straight percentage?

1. Pass mark is 75%
Old Apr 19th 2018, 1:45 am
Forum Regular

Thought I would update you all on my test.

I'd read a lot of horror stories about it taking up to 3-4 hours waiting around but it was super fast for me. There were about 15 people taking the test, we practically went straight through into the exam room after 5mins of being greeting and walked to an area of a building. Then about 10mins explaining the process before it started. I was one of the last to finish (about 20mins), waited outside for about 10mins and then got called up for a 5-10minute interview. That was it! Told to wait 4-6 months for the ceremony. So really I was in and out within a hour.

Test was surprisingly difficult. I'd listened to the audio document (about 2-3 hours?) once and then spent 30mins doing mock tests once a day around ten times leading up to the exam. So I'd gone through hundreds of questions but I'd say those mock questions teached me a lot of info but it was only useful on about 30-50% of the test. By the end I knew I had 14/20 correct and the other 6 were just guesses. In the end I got 16/20, so scraped through!
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:16 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capwn
Test was surprisingly difficult. I'd listened to the audio document (about 2-3 hours?) once and then spent 30mins doing mock tests once a day around ten times leading up to the exam. So I'd gone through hundreds of questions but I'd say those mock questions teached me a lot of info but it was only useful on about 30-50% of the test. By the end I knew I had 14/20 correct and the other 6 were just guesses. In the end I got 16/20, so scraped through!
I’m surprised. Many people on here have said it isn’t too bad as long as you study.

I have the official guide (ordered from IIRC) and have competed some mock tests.

I would have thought if you could memorize dates, famous Canadian people/prime ministers and what is federally or provincially regulated you should be fine
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

I got one wrong in the test. I didn't know which mountain was Canada's highest.

It certainly isn't a gimme. If I didn't study I'd have been borderline. Read the book and do the free online tests. I think I invested 5 or 6 hours studying as you don't want the pain of a resit.

I completed it quickly which was good as being first out the room meant I was interviewed first. I could see the other 30 people tailing up behind me.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
I would have thought if you could memorize dates, famous Canadian people/prime ministers and what is federally or provincially regulated you should be fine
I do think I was unlucky, I remembered about 50-100 facts but hardly any of them came up. I was getting things that I didn't recall from a bank of about 500 questions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.