Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

How can teacher become citizen of canada

How can teacher become citizen of canada

Old May 10th 2012, 4:06 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can teacher become citizen of canada

Originally Posted by teacher1000
It's a non-starter. We have been looking at this issue for 2 years now. My husband is a chemistry/physics teacher, and there are NO jobs in canada for him and he will have PR when we move back.
Statistically, I have read that the chances of someone international finding a contract teaching job (not full time) was something like 1 in 9. I am canadian, and most of my friends, have all graduated from post secondary school with the idea of teaching. That idea has only ever amounted to a pipe dream. Each year, the government allows too many people to graduate from teachers college, and basically, they have enough teachers (in ontario for sure) to last something like 15 years, with the backlog of waiting graduates they already have.
My husband also went to private school, and has a fantastic education, but unlike britian, in canada, it doesn't count for much.
If I were you, I would retrain to do something else if you want to come over to canada.
Much the same here. My wife is Canadian and it took her 6 years from her return to Newfoundland to get a permanent position. Yet the university (there is only one here) continue to churn out hundreds of shiny new teaching grads each year. The disconnect between supply and demand is criminal IMHO.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Much the same here. My wife is Canadian and it took her 6 years from her return to Newfoundland to get a permanent position. Yet the university (there is only one here) continue to churn out hundreds of shiny new teaching grads each year. The disconnect between supply and demand is criminal IMHO.
yeah, it's simply ridiculous that they allow it to happen, but it does. I have no idea what my husband is going to do for work when we move over to canada. He's been teaching for 10 years, and has some management experience, but we are afraid he will not be able to use those experiences to help him into work because they are not "canadian".
What I truly fear, is that he will end up taking a menial job, which pays little in comparision to UK rates and is demeaning.
In all honesty though, it's now or never for us, and we have to take the risk.
Old May 10th 2012, 5:25 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teacher1000
yeah, it's simply ridiculous that they allow it to happen, but it does. I have no idea what my husband is going to do for work when we move over to canada. He's been teaching for 10 years, and has some management experience, but we are afraid he will not be able to use those experiences to help him into work because they are not "canadian".
What I truly fear, is that he will end up taking a menial job, which pays little in comparision to UK rates and is demeaning.
In all honesty though, it's now or never for us, and we have to take the risk.
My wife taught for a number of years. It was the best experience she could have been given for her move into managing a business and a large number of staff.

I think anybody in a management role should teach for at least 6 months

It is a shame though that the government allows the saturation of any employment field. People spend many years and $'s chasing something that may not exist. Pretty much like some people emigrating to canada experience really.
Old May 10th 2012, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

physicsteacher is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again everyone! Especially for your honesty.

I think I will look into Australia.

regards

Mark
Old May 11th 2012, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

teacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really niceteacher1000 is just really nice

Originally Posted by el_richo
My wife taught for a number of years. It was the best experience she could have been given for her move into managing a business and a large number of staff.

I think anybody in a management role should teach for at least 6 months

It is a shame though that the government allows the saturation of any employment field. People spend many years and $'s chasing something that may not exist. Pretty much like some people emigrating to canada experience really.
Yes, I agree with you, they really should cap the amount of graduates they let into teachers college etc but that would mean giving up money, and they will never do that. If it weren't for the fact that my family, and friends live in canada, then we wouldn't be planning the move back.
Whatever your reason for a country move, you should def make sure that it is what you want. It's very difficult to do anything if you change your mind. Hence why I've been in the UK for 4 years.
One thing is already clear about our situation though, and it's that, my husband has wanted to get out of teaching over here for some time now. The pressures, and ridiculous bureaucracy over here make teaching torture. Nevermind that, but hes refusing (and rightly so) to accept he will have to work until 68 pushing a pencil and pay 50% more into a pension he will get less of.
Old May 11th 2012, 5:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by physicsteacher
Thanks again everyone! Especially for your honesty.

I think I will look into Australia.

regards

Mark
good luck to you. Make sure you read about pension transfer before you head off.
sorry the news wasn't good